Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew I had a three year warranty with my new TS2400 table saw, but Home Depot failed to mention that the local Ridgid service center (Portland, OR) is overwhelmed, and it's at least two weeks before they can even get to it, and probably over a month (according to the rep on the phone) before they can get any needed part(s). You've got to be kidding! I can't go that long without a table saw! My saw's motor lasted about nine months, and I'm running across a lot of posts in this forum about problems in about that time frame. If I can't fix the motor myself, I guess I've got a $500.00 boat anchor.
    Nolo illigitamati carborundum

Comment

Well not trying to step on any toes.
      These cordless drills are often sold and anticipated as the same as a corded equivilent.
      They are not!
      As to their capabilities?
      Sure they are convenient, who doesn't agree on that aspect.
      However anything thats cordless has limitations of battery charge, what is being done with the tools etcetera.
      we all know this.
      many times as the "wonder" cordless tool is worked the bateries are exhausting(heck most of us never really evaluate the batteries status things are heating and switches go and you know the drift.
      There is no way even with todays battery technology and manufacturing wonders a "cordless" drill or tool can be the equivilent of its corded big brother.
      Makita old tech. 9.volt plus drill with the underside old torque adjustment units still seem to run the gamut of abuse as a GENERAL convenience cordless product.
      BUT I personally don't think you can replace the hardiness of a cord style tool in most cases.
      Marketing and Consumer Expectance aside!

[ 11-05-2005, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: tyreman ]

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
        What kind of car do you drive that you get a loaner for warranty work?
        I have a '97 Ford Explorer and a '99 F-150 pickup, both long out of warranty. Whenever the job costs $250 or more, the dealer (Puente Hills Ford in Rowland Heights, CA) provides me with a free rental car. When they were under warranty, they provided me with one whenever the vehicle had to be kept overnight.

Al
        America:
        The land of the free
        Because of the brave

Comment

lifetime warranty

I have a ridgid wood lathe that I am waiting on warranty work for. I was looking at a ridgid 15"drill press that is supose to have a lifetime warranty on everthing parts and labor includeing the chuck but apparently ridgids idea of a lifetime warranty is different from mine by what i'm seeing from a combination of the way they are handleing my warranty claim and what i am reading here about other peoples warranty claims. to put all the blame on HD customer service is ridiculous because when ridgid sells their products in HD stores that makes HD employees ridgid sales representatives so therefore ridgid is just as still responsible for what they tell a customer to sell a tool as HD is ridgid knows thst this is a problem and chooses to do nothing about it so they should have to stand behind what their sales reps are telling people to get them to buy these tools.

Comment

lifetime warranty

I have a ridgid wood lathe that I am waiting on warranty work for. I was looking at a ridgid 15"drill press that is supose to have a lifetime warranty on everthing parts and labor includeing the chuck but apparently ridgids idea of a lifetime warranty is different from mine by what i'm seeing from a combination of the way they are handleing my warranty claim and what i am reading here about other peoples warranty claims. to put all the blame on HD customer service is ridiculous because when ridgid sells their products in HD stores that makes HD employees ridgid sales representatives so therefore ridgid is just as still responsible for what they tell a customer to sell a tool as HD is ridgid knows that this is a problem and chooses to do nothing about it so they should have to stand behind what their sales reps(aka HD employees) are telling people to get them to buy these tools.

Comment

I think TTI,should do a better job for ridgid because it might put a black eye on ridgids reputation!
              A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I agree the lift time warranty requirements suck. If I buy it why should I jump through there hoops to get a lift time warranty. Sending in the card should be enough.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

What warranty

A warranty or guarantee is only as good as the character of the person or Company that issues it. A Company that uses doublespeak in their return policies as an inticement to sell their products speakes to their lack of backbone. I, for one, would be perfectly happy with a ONE year warranty if I could rely on Home Depot to honor their word. I can't, and as a result do not purchase any tools or equiptment from them. This definetly cost me additional funds, but so what, I feel its imperative you trust the people you do business with. The Home Depot has consistently demonstrated a complete lack of interest for maintaining a long term relationship that is based on anything but cost. People will continue to buy from Homer and pigs will continue to be slautered. The world goes on!

DMB
                  DMB

Comment

Home Depot is a retailer. Warranties and guarantees are offered by manufacturers. In most cases, warranty and guarantee issues are handled by the manufacturer directly or through an authorized service center. I've never considered HD's return policy "doublespeak". Pretty simple really, if for any reason you don't like it within 90 days return it for a full refund.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Reply to BD

Bd
                      Although I do not always agree with your points of view, I respect them as an honest appraisal of the situation. In my opinion, Home Depot, does resort to confusion in selling their products. I agree they are the retailer and as such should represent their customers when conflict developes with the products they sell. I would like to put to vote as to the % of viewers that agree that HD does or does not deal with their warranty issues with honesty, professionalism and fairmindedness,( I think thats a word). We are all entitled to our opinions, however not our own facts. I firmly believe that it is no accident that Homer uses"doublespeak" as a method to sell and avoid warranty issues. Again, let's put it to a good old American vote!

Regards,
                      DMB
                      DMB

Comment

Home depot should NEVER have to resolve WARRANTY ISSUES with ridgid tools that is RIDGIDS job. DUH... I have had a few of my tools that needed warranty work the thought NEVER crossed my mind "My ridgid tool broke let me take it back to home depot" what came to mind was this "My ridgid tool broke I better call them and find a repair center" and that is what I did. I called and found on 60 miles away drove up dropped it off and picked it up a couple of weeks later. The next time I had issues with my tools I let a few of them pile up then I took them up there and told them to ship them back to me. No charge, no problem. I have been VERY satisfied with my ridgid tools and the way the back them up with warranty work so far.
                        Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

DMB,

Meaning no disrespectt, but what does "voting" have to do with warranty issues? True, you can gather the opinions of what people would like to see, or their understanding or misunderstanding of the subject; but, it doesn't change anything regarding a warranty and the rules that are defined for claims and responsibilities of the manufacturer under that warranty.

Personally, I've printed statements from the warranty and provided links to the warranty and, with others, have pointed out that the warranty is issued by Ridgid and NOT by Home Depot. This simple fact seems to lack some understanding and I still see a lot of arguments of why Home Depot should be taken to task for THEIR warranty policies. It's NOT their warranty and they are NOT the service center.

Ridgid's warranty is probably the best in the business, except for the fact that they don't have a repair center on every corner and there appears to be a real shortage of parts. All of this is certainly something that would understandably inflame the purchaser of a Ridgid tool, who needs a repair and rightfully, Ridgid and TTI needs to be taken to task for the many reported problems. More importantly they need to step up to the plate and fix the problem.

However, Home Depot is only the retailer! While I'm NOT a big Home Depot fan, I cannot see blaming them for a tool failure and the resulting problems anymore than I could see beating up the mailman, because the mail order tools I bought died after two months and I can't get parts! It certainly wouldn't be the mailman's fault, all he did was deliver the tool. All Home Depot does, is provide a holding place so you can go see the tool, make the pick with your $, and walk out with it. Home Depot didn't build it, they don't have a parts and service repair department, and they don't issue the warranty! I simply do not understand how that is so hard to comprehend.

So, take a vote and if everyone votes your way, that won't change anything. All it will say is that the majority simply doesn't understand the process.

CWS

Comment

Answer to CWS

CWS
                            Hope you are doing well. I would like to clear up a few things and then, hopefully this matter will ride off into the sunset. Believe it,or not,I completely understand the verbage in the HD warranty. I will probably continue to purchase items at HD, however my seletions will not be based on their warranty, whichever one is popular at the time, or for their product knowledge or service. It will be based on cost, convienence and need.
                            The answer to this riddle is similar to all others..........follow the money trail.
                            Why do the majority of consumer warranty complaints involve Ridgid and to a much lesser degree all the other tool manufactures combinded. Why does Ridgid occupy prime location in the store? How many other brands of full size drill presses, jointers, Band saws and table saws are on display? Why is Ridgid, to the best of my knowledge, the only tool identified on the HD racecar, I'm sure a NASCAR fan will correct me if i'm wrong. What about the color similarity?
                            In all fairness, my thoughts per the "vote" were made in jest. I believe we both know what the outcome would be! As to why I return the defective tool to the store and not a repair center. I will not spend more in valuable time then the tool is worth, besides their warranty clearly states to return to a service center OR HOME DEPOT STORE. My closest center is a 80 mile round trip where as the store is less then 6. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to do the math. In closing, I am unaware of any other tool manufacture that has any reference to Home Depot in their warranty. They state specific length of coverage and locations where repairs, usually, are performed in reasonable time. There are always exceptions to the rule, however, Home Depot has made their warranty the "rule to the exception".
                            If you like Ridgid tools, buy them. I'm simply stating it is my opinion not to base your buying decision on their warranty, such as it is.
                            Best to all.

DMB
                            DMB

Comment

The way I handle problems with stuff I purchase is this:

If I just bought it (less than 2 weeks), I am back at the place where I bought it wanting an exchange or refund if it turns out to be just plain junk.

If its just a missing part (screw, nut, whatever), I work on getting the retailer to exchange it for another one or give me the missing part from one off the shelf or that they took back as a return. If that doesn't work I return it for a refund or go the manufacturer.

If it goes past a couple weeks, then I take my beef to the manufacturer, and I take that route, the retailer is out of the picture as far as I am concerned at this point.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

ActLtd

Would you happen to have a copy of the Home Depot Warranty on Ridgid tools? I don't believe I've ever seen it. Thanks.
                                Lorax
                                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
                                X