X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answer to Lorax

"Their" was in reference to Ridgid not Home Depot, However to address your tongue and cheek question I accessed the following from the "wet and dry vac" section of THIS website.

How you can get service

To obtain the benefit of this warranty, you can return the wet/dry vac to your local Home Depot store or any authorized RIDGID® INDEPENDENT SERVICE CENTER. They will inspect the product and determine if it is covered under the warranty.

To my knowledge, as limited as it may be, no other tool manufacturer includes the Home Depot as a drop off point.

To those that have nothing better to do then sharpshoot others posts without checking the facts........go for it, as for me I've got better things to do with my time. I've learned my lesson quickly and wish you all well in your persuits.

DMB
    DMB

Comment

Originally posted by ActLtd
      "Their" was in reference to Ridgid not Home Depot, However to address your tongue and cheek question I accessed the following from the "wet and dry vac" section of THIS website.

How you can get service

To obtain the benefit of this warranty, you can return the wet/dry vac to your local Home Depot store or any authorized RIDGID® INDEPENDENT SERVICE CENTER. They will inspect the product and determine if it is covered under the warranty.

To my knowledge, as limited as it may be, no other tool manufacturer includes the Home Depot as a drop off point.

To those that have nothing better to do then sharpshoot others posts without checking the facts........go for it, as for me I've got better things to do with my time. I've learned my lesson quickly and wish you all well in your persuits.

DMB
      I am willing to bet that this is a mistake on the website... however this gives you certain rights. You should PRINT this page (the one about home depot taking the vac) and take it to you local HD store manager and give the the EXACT link as well so he can see for himself. Then you should be able to get him to take care of you. If not take the little survey at the bottom of your receipt and fill it out with some strong words about customer service. Explain everything in detail and provide the same link as you gave to the store manager.
      Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

Reply to RobertCDF

Bob
        I did exactly as you suggested three times at three different Home Depot stores prior to expressing my point of view on this website. I spent in excess of 5 hours total to come to the conclusions forwarded in my text. Perhaps now you Know my frustration with their warranty review system! no worries, I simply went to Lowes and purchased two similar vacs for use. The same may happen there as well, I don't know, but I confess, Home Depot has wore me down. Do you think that was their original intention! Best to all.

DMB
        DMB

Comment

DMB,

Until your previous response (#46, I believe), I had NO idea that you actually had read somewhere that "you can return the wet/dry vac to your local Home Depot store"! No where on anything that I have read, on this site or on any of the warranty statements contained the product manuals, does it say anything about returning it to the store. In all the areas that I have seen, it clearly states that you must return it to an "authorized Ridgid Service Center". In the case of the two WD 1245 Shop Vacs that I own, it states "to Ridge Tool Company, Elyria, Ohio or any authorized Ridgid Independant Service Center".

While I might guess that the statement, "To obtain the benefit of this warranty, you can return the wet/dry vac to your local Home Depot store or any authorized RIDGID® INDEPENDENT SERVICE CENTER." ( http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RIDGID-W...anty/index.htm ) is in error, I really don't know. But either way, it is published and as such, probably has legal implications that benefit the purchaser. It would be interesting to see what Home Depot's or Ridge Tool's headquarters would have to say about it. Perhaps more interesting, would be the point of view of your state Attorney General's Office. The point being, don't roll over if you feel strongly about this... the AG's office is only a phone call away.

So, the bottom line here is, I feel that I owe you an apology. I wasn't aware that any warranty statements existed that differed from the Ridgid tools that I own. The quoted "return to HD statement" doesn't show up from the link on the 12 gal Shop Vac that I own. (Actually, the warranty link from the 12 gal vacs, is in error because it only presents the 3-year warranty statement.) So, while I and many others may have thought your comprehension of the warranty was a bit skewed, you're presentation of "return to Home Depot" gave credence to your stance. So, hang in there, your point of view is understandable, at least in regard to your shop vac.

Kindest regards,

CWS

Comment

warranty repairs

I purchased the 4pc combo kit when they first came out because of the warranty. I have mostly used Panasonic power tools (which i still have and use and some are over 6 years old) and some Dewalt (which suck)
            I do hvac duct work and use my tools every day. A few months after getting the Ridgid kit the blade shaft on the saws all broke and i went back HD and the openned a new combo kit and gave me a new saw. It's been fine since but
            now is getting hot and going thru batteries faster.
            A few months ago I picked up the 14v combo of the drill and impact. (i love the impact and use it all the time) I have also picked up the 12v right angle impact.
            Well a few weeks ago after really putting the impact to the test it has started to act up. I went back to HD. They offered my money back for the kit but because they did not have the combo they said they couldn't do anything else and said i should contact Ridgid. It would have been nice if they could have replaced the impact with one on the shelve.
            Anyway I contacted Ridgid and they responed right back and explained their deal and gave me the name of my nearest repair center, about a 45 minute drive.
            I called them and explained the problem with the impact and that i also had a battery that now wouldn't take a charge. They said to bring it in. I went there on Saturday and they said they had already ordered a new motor and it would be in the first of the week. They replaced the battery with one from the shelve. I also showed them the saws all and they said it sounded like the motor was going bad and they had them in stock. I was going to need the saws all on Monday so i told them I'd have to bring it back later.
            They said they would fix it when I came back to pick up the impact.
            I called the other day on the impact and they said that there was another part that it needed and they would have it in a few days. Well they called today and said it was ready to pick. So they had the parts and fixed in 10 days. I will pick it up tomorrow and they will fix the saws all while I'm there.
            I guess i can't complain too much about that. They do stock parts for most of the Ridgid power tools and have batteries in stock too.
            So I would have to say Ridgid tools have been good for me.
            glenn

I hope they come out with more tools soon like some metal working tools

Comment

The issue in a nutshell is that the Rigid Reps at the stores misrepresented the warentee and that is where this all gets everyone upset...... I purchased my tools prior to the Three year limited going into effect. 2003 and was promised or told that a life time on parts and labor, stupid me for not realizing that nothing in this world is ever what it seems. I will live and learn from my mistakes....
              Also, the Rep or the store don't know which extended the Lifetime Warentee in order to who knows boost sales...after the Three year Limited was clearly in effect, customers were unaware of this and why should they question a Rep telling them that they get a Full blown warrentee identical, to the craftsman hand tool warrentee.....Yes Rigid is covered and you should be really happy about that.....We are not all lawyers, just construction workers....

Be wary of the Rigid Rep at the stores..

By the way the last repair we had took over a year...We had to buy new tools to do the work needed.

This is a great message board.

Comment

Be fair to Tidgid and they'll be fair to you. It's not the store's problem to replace your tool. I'm in a trade too and I NEED my drill daily. The repair depot and Ridgid have been more than accomodating for my repairs. Let's face it, I beat the S^%t out of my drill and the longest a DeWalt ever lasted was a year - I'm going on 2 and a bit with this Ridgid. The biggest surprise is the batteries still take a charge.

If your alternator goes at 100000 miles do you expect the dealer to give you a new truck?

Buy a backup drill.

Comment

Re: Stuff your lifetime warranty

I drive a Gm and any warranty work that takes over night to fix IS covered with a loaner. Try again

Comment

I have a 6 or 7 year old DeWalt 12" double compound slider that does the same thing from day one. But, I wouldn't trade that saw for any other. Anyway, saw dust make it look like you are really busy.
                    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

ok I have read this entire thread whoooa this is some what laughable.

here goes I cant tell you how long I have been in retail lets just say since I was a 14yo. I can tell you as a customer and a retail sales associate I have always believed in Customer loyality to a brand or to a retailer and have always conducted business in accordance with the Idea that "the customer is always right" except when it comes to cold hard cash being handed back.

Let me explain.

I use to work for Office Max and opened one of there stores as there Computer Department Supervisor. 1. I never lied to a customer to get them to buy somthing. 2. If I did not know the answer to a customers question when they were looking to buy somthing I would find out from the manufacturer and would call the customer at there house and give them the information. and 3. if I sold somthing to some one be it printer, computer, or cable or ink I myself stood behind the sale.

Example1: I had a customer come in one day looking for a printer for there home business. they explained to me that they had been to many other stores and were just looking being my self the first question I asked was what printers had the other stores pointed out to them and they showed me one of the most god awfull printers made but pretty pricey So I asked what are you planning to do with it and they told me it was just for a small home business and kids school work. I went on to explain that that printer was way more than what they needed price wise and that it realy was a crappy printer. I showed him a less costly model with all the same bells and whistles and would run circles around the larger more expensive printer.
                      LONG STORY SHORT: They bought the printer that day and came back a month later to buy a computer for there daughter going off to college.

Example2: And this pertains to Home Depot. here again I had a guy come in whoes printer, after 5mo. of use died on him in the middle of a work project. he came in and was just starting to shop for a new printer I was the first store he came to he said that he loved the printer and it got very light use and was upset when he called BEST BUYS and was told by the customer service person that there obligation to replace the printer was only 30 days after purchase and at 5mo. he would have to contact the manufacturer for service I laughed and asked him whitch printer he had and he pointed out one of our displays as the exact model he had. I asked him if his was in good shape ( like not having been droped on the floor or anything) he said no it just sits on the desk.
                      LONG STORY SHORT: I told him to go home and bring me the printer that day and I would give him a new one out of the box at no cost to him . I just got this blank stair of shock from him and asked him if that was ok and that would save him $399.99 to buy a new one and he would have no down time. he went home and came back in 30min. LOL thinking I would change my mind but I had a customer for life.

See Retailers fail to tell customers one important thing about there partnership with manufactures. it goes by many names ( RTV, RTM, and many others) but it means RETURN TO VENDOR, RETURN TO MANUFACTURER but usualy when ever a customer returns an item to a retail store it gets put back in the back and after a Vendor REP. signes off on it gets sent back to the manufacturer and the store gets full retail credit for it. so the stores not out any money and the customer is sent home happy.

whitch made it possible for me to step beyond ordanary customer service to (extrordanary customer service) to make the customer happy and loyal if not to the retailer then to me because they knew I did not BS on anything

If retailers were smart they would teach there employees to strive for (Extrordanary Customer Service) not just Ordanary Customer Service because in todays retail market that is about the only way to set your self apart from Jo Shmoe next door.

And as far as Ridgid customer service and there LLSA no its not the retailers responsibility because most Big Box retailers do not have a service center but there again they could provide (Extrordanary Customer Service) and do what they can to make the Customer happy and and build customer loyality. with out making the customer jump through hoops. before the retailer finaly gives in. it should be there goal and the first thing out of there mouths " What Can I Do To Make You Happy" and stick with it.
                      Last edited by mcarr184; 04-25-2007, 03:42 AM.
                      American by birth. Canadian at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by duck_man View Post

Buy a backup drill.
                        I couldn't agree more. If you rely on these tools for your job, then have a backup available. Write it off as a business expense.

Don't tell me about loaner vehicles with your car warranty. There's quite a cost differential between a table saw (etc.) and a vehicle and the cost of a vehicle's extended warranty.

Ridgid has a 90 day money back guarantee...if for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, return it with receipt for a full refund within 90 days.
                        Ridgid tools have a 3 year warranty against material defects and workmanship.
                        Ridgid has available an optional lifetime service agreement (customer's option). All you have to do is register for it within 30 days of purchase. call it whatever you want, but it's not a lifetime WARRANTY. Warrantys cover material defects and workmanship. Warrantys do not cover failure due to normal wear and tear. The SERVICE AGREEMENT covers failures due to NORMAL wear and tear...like replacement brakes on your car. Are there any auto manufacturers out there that provide NEW brakes or seals or batterys at NO COST for the LIFE OF THE CAR?

I don't see what's so complicated about all this.

What it all means in very basic terms is that after 90 days, RTV system or not, the item is yours. Home Depot doesn't want it back and Ridgid doesn't want it back. If you return without a receipt and say it's 5 days old and you'll take store credit, Home Depot won't take it back, but they'll gladly send it out for repair at your expense.

Comment

Re:GREAT Stuff lifetime warranty

I wonder how many times Sears is going to keep repairing auto spins I bought?

Used three times was in the shop twice so now I have two of them one as a spare.

Modern Supply ( in the Bronx) which Ridgid said would repair their tools REFUSED to touch the Auto spin when I bought it in.

Possibly Ridgid should do is have a recall and fix the torque problem then fix the feeder problems and then possibly fix the

As long as they are willing to attempt to make it right I will just keep using it then sending it back when it needs repairs.

Still any machine that does pay for itself in one use does catch my attention and having it guaranteed for life sweetens the pot.

I was seriously thinking of buying two more so I would have 4 of them and even if three are out being repaired I still had one in operation plus it saves me time sending them to be repaired as I can send in two or three at a time to made job ready .....

I wonder when like Lexmark they will upgrade the product rather then hearing so many complaints from folks I see at the home center????

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Labman View Post
                            I too was sucked in by the promise of a lifetime warranty with free replacement. Break a Craftsman take it in and get a new one on the spot. Same with Snap-on, Mac, and many others. Vehicles under warranty that require downtime and you get a loaner.
                            I'm a selfemployed electrical contractor and use my 18v hammer drill/driver daily. Then I noticed my bits were wobbling and the chuck wouldn't lock them in. One of the fingers in the chuck was worn smooth and would no longer grip the bits whether they were round or hex shanks. So I drove an hour back to the store and talked to the same guy that sold me the piece of junk and asked for a new one. After getting the runaround for 10 minutes they asked me to leave as the discussion started to get a little heated when he told me I had to send it to a service center to be evaluated. Nice.
                            Spend $500.00 and still have to drill holes by hand. Last time I buy any Rigid product.
                            My name is Bob and I'll get right to the the first point- I think you are a goof ball trying to make trouble!!!
                            And my 2nd point is; I have worked my cordles RIDGID tools for almost 3 years now. 2 weeks ago I took my drill and three batteries in to a siverce center with my card and was dirty unshaved and I was talked to like a gentleman.
                            10 days lader this fine man called me and said "Hay Bob your tools are ready"
                            I say's cool man but im working some long hours can the wife come in and pick them up for me?
                            Says not a proulbme I rember you folks just please have her bring in the jig saw on your rebait so I can get the numbers from it, or I'll be out a $100 for that 3rd batterie.
                            Well My drill is fixed and I have 3 brand new batteries under what you call "stuff your life time warrenty"
                            Im a happy camper! CWS, BadgerDave and friends, I havent had time to read your threads. I hope im not steping on anyone.
                            I just wanted to get right to my point.
                            Labman I still think your a Goofball.LOL

Bobby
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                            Be safe out there folks
                            Bob B
                            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Originally posted by imported_Labman View Post
                              I too was sucked in by the promise of a lifetime warranty with free replacement. Break a Craftsman take it in and get a new one on the spot. Same with Snap-on, Mac, and many others. Vehicles under warranty that require downtime and you get a loaner.
                              I'm a selfemployed electrical contractor and use my 18v hammer drill/driver daily. Then I noticed my bits were wobbling and the chuck wouldn't lock them in. One of the fingers in the chuck was worn smooth and would no longer grip the bits whether they were round or hex shanks. So I drove an hour back to the store and talked to the same guy that sold me the piece of junk and asked for a new one. After getting the runaround for 10 minutes they asked me to leave as the discussion started to get a little heated when he told me I had to send it to a service center to be evaluated. Nice.
                              Spend $500.00 and still have to drill holes by hand. Last time I buy any Rigid product.
                              1 Wear and tear is not part of the lifetime warranty. (I wish I could get a new car every time I need new tires too.)
                              2 The distributor is not a partner with Ridgid. Too many people would expect to replace a part that may be worn out or abused with the distributor under warranty. Only to have the distributor fork out the bill to give the new item to the customer and not have the origianl fall under warranty. The same distributor that you got angry with is the one you want to go out of business for replacing items that have far surpassed thier cost(as worn out chuck fingers prove) for free.
                              Next time you buy a car, ask them if their lifetime powertrain warranty covers wear and tear.
                              All in all, good luck on this "piece if junk" that you have managed to use enough to wear the metal finger down on.

Comment

For all that's been said, my RIDGID warranty has stood the test of time and repairs. So lets just put an end to all this nonsense and the goof ball talk.
                                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                                Be safe out there folks
                                Bob B
                                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
                                X