Stuff your lifetime warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuff your lifetime warranty

I would like to point out that based on the date of the thread it was started 3 years ago. Hardly much point in flaming someone that probably isnt even a member anymore. In my opinion warranties, no matter what brand or commodity are only as good as your personal experiences. Some people have good experiences and some bad experiences with all different brands products. One persons bad experience does not constitute a failure in the system for everyone. So, that said if you dont like the brands warranty build a bridge and get over it and move on to a different brand.

My 2 cents worth.

Comment

I regard warranties like I regard Social Security - mostly a joke. BY the time you need it, it either no longer applies, has vanished all together, or doesn't cover nearly what is needed.
      “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

I was looking into buying a ridgid cordless drill. I used my black and decker "firestorm" a lot, until my two year old dropped it. It cracked the housing, I was dissappointed it didn't hold up to the lil' guy. Is ridgid a better fit?

Comment

I sell the Ridgid tools everyday at the HD, I explain to every customer exactly what the warranty and lifetime service agreement states.

The tool is warrantied for 3 years against manufactures defects. If within the first 90 days anything goes wrong with it, bring back everything that you got with the tool (even the other items in a combo pack) and we'll exchange everything for a new one. After 90 days you call Ridgid customer service and they will tell you were to take the item or send it.
          I also remind everyone that they have to fill in the registration card and mail it , along with a copy of the cash register receipt and upc from the box to register their lifetime service agreement. Oh, and batteries are included in the warranty and service agreement.
          For those folks that chose not to register their lifetime service agreement then then after the 3rd year they are SOL.
          sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

Originally posted by unhandyman View Post
            I was looking into buying a ridgid cordless drill. I used my black and decker "firestorm" a lot, until my two year old dropped it. It cracked the housing, I was dissappointed it didn't hold up to the lil' guy. Is ridgid a better fit?
            Contrary to what some others think the Ridgid brand tools are good tools. I would say the failure rate is not any greater than the other major brands. At my HD, we try to match the tool with the job to be performed. I tell everyone that if your a regular home owner that does light maintenance work, then maybe the Ryobi brand would better suit you because of the initial cost. But if they are heavy users or commercial users then the Ridgid would be a better investment.

Comment

This is directed to Harley130....

I recently purchased two brand new 18v 2.5ah batteries in a two pack. It is brand new. I have the UPC code cut from the package, the E-bay receipt. I registered it here on my list.
              So, I have a 3 year warranty..but I can't locate any form to include with the UPC code and receipt when I mail it in for the lifetime coverage.

See...this is what is so convoluted with the warranty registration system.
              You never get real verification the item is indeed acknowledged as registered! You send in the original documentation and keep photocopies but then the documentation is always lost!

Now I appreciate the fact you have to ensure folks are honest but there has to be a better way in today's computerized world!

I also notice that serial numbers are also an issue. In the two pack of batteries, they have the same serial numbers! So How do you/ridgid know which battery is which? I have experienced this with my other batteries too.

Also in the registration section you can't go back and edit any errors!

I really empathize those complaining about the warranty process!

Now, about the tools!!! I thought long and hard about purchasing ridgid 18v tools. I'm a weekend warrior so I do not use these tools eight hours a day. I wanted to standardize the battery system so I do not have different chargers etc.

I really like the tools they are very good!

I am not impressed with the home Depot as they are the sole distributors and do not carry the listed tools or extras! Most of the sales folks in the tool area have no clue how the Ridgid warranty works! I've been the three Home Depot stores in the Phoenix Metro area with similar results..I'm just glad they still speak English!

I have purchased almost all of my 18 volt tools and all the batteries via E-bay!!!! The reason is the prices are better, but mostly E-bay seems to have a better inventory of the ridgid 18v tools!

Finally for those of you concerned about reliability and performance of the 18v series of tools..Let me say if you drag them behind you while in the pick up truck, or throw them into the truck from the work site, or not maintain them, or use them improperly they will indeed fail and not live up to your expectations! Batteries are delicate things and you need to know how to use them! heat, cold, physical shock will damage them! Running them beyond a safe discharge or over charging them will ruin them. Water, coffee, or soda on any battery will ruin them.

I have used my 18v series of tools now since early 2005. I have 10 batteries and rotate them. I have used my tools very hard in some projects, sometimes over did it with the tool, and most often used the tool properly! I have not any tool fail nor has any battery failed..

I also believe those using DE-Walt or Milwaukee or other name brand tools will have similar positive things to say!
              You can not use the handle end of a drill as a hammer! It does not work that way!!!

Finally let's face it almost all of these tools today come out of the same factory, with different colors and some designs so you can't interchange them!

End of rant...Thanks

Cactus Man
              Last edited by cactusman; 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM.

Comment

catcusman:
                "So, I have a 3 year warranty..but I can't locate any form to include with the UPC code and receipt when I mail it in for the lifetime coverage."

I think this is the price you pay for not buying retail. May be why Ridgid requires those items to register for the lifetime warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by harley130 View Post
                  Contrary to what some others think the Ridgid brand tools are good tools. I would say the failure rate is not any greater than the other major brands. At my HD, we try to match the tool with the job to be performed. I tell everyone that if your a regular home owner that does light maintenance work, then maybe the Ryobi brand would better suit you because of the initial cost. But if they are heavy users or commercial users then the Ridgid would be a better investment.
                  Thanks for the input. My neighbor told me about his Ridgid drill, and he enjoys it. Looks like I'll be giving one a try.

Comment

Originally posted by unhandyman View Post
                    Thanks for the input. My neighbor told me about his Ridgid drill, and he enjoys it. Looks like I'll be giving one a try.

you won't be sorry also you might also might want to check out the ridgid impact driver as well
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

FYI

I was first sold on the quality and lifetime service agreement. However, for those purchasing mainly because of the LSA, check how far a service center is from you first.

The closet service center from me is 71 miles.

Craftsman gives a lifetime warranty and you just bring the tool into any Sears store and walk out with a new one.

I don't know if they lifetime warranty/service the 20V lithium set, but compared to the RIDGID 24V set, it looks and feels like a toy. However, the craftsman used to be or maybe still are made by the same company.(TTI).

I did not read the whole thread and don't know if someone already posted similar info.
                      Last edited by onlycordless; 11-20-2007, 11:57 PM.
                      http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
                        FYI

Craftsman gives a lifetime warranty and you just bring the tool into any Sears store and walk out with a new one.

Have you seen how badly their product has diminished over the years? Their product just isn't the same from let's say, just 20 years ago.

Easily noticeable on the sockets and screwdrivers for starters.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Have you seen how badly their product has diminished over the years? Their product just isn't the same from let's say, just 20 years ago.

Easily noticeable on the sockets and screwdrivers for starters.
                          I have heard this from other people but I haven't purchased any Craftsman sockets or screwdrivers lately.

When it comes to battery/electric tools, you start to notice more of a lack in quality and longevity between some brands.
                          http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                            This is directed to Harley130....

I recently purchased two brand new 18v 2.5ah batteries in a two pack. It is brand new. I have the UPC code cut from the package, the E-bay receipt. I registered it here on my list.
                            So, I have a 3 year warranty..but I can't locate any form to include with the UPC code and receipt when I mail it in for the lifetime coverage.
                            See...this is what is so convoluted with the warranty registration system.
                            You never get real verification the item is indeed acknowledged as registered! You send in the original documentation and keep photocopies but then the documentation is always lost!

Now I appreciate the fact you have to ensure folks are honest but there has to be a better way in today's computerized world!

I also notice that serial numbers are also an issue. In the two pack of batteries, they have the same serial numbers! So How do you/ridgid know which battery is which? I have experienced this with my other batteries too.
                            Also in the registration section you can't go back and edit any errors!
                            I really empathize those complaining about the warranty process!

Now, about the tools!!! I thought long and hard about purchasing ridgid 18v tools. I'm a weekend warrior so I do not use these tools eight hours a day. I wanted to standardize the battery system so I do not have different chargers etc.

I really like the tools they are very good!

I am not impressed with the home Depot as they are the sole distributors and do not carry the listed tools or extras! Most of the sales folks in the tool area have no clue how the Ridgid warranty works! I've been the three Home Depot stores in the Phoenix Metro area with similar results..I'm just glad they still speak English!

I have purchased almost all of my 18 volt tools and all the batteries via E-bay!!!! The reason is the prices are better, but mostly E-bay seems to have a better inventory of the ridgid 18v tools!

Finally for those of you concerned about reliability and performance of the 18v series of tools..Let me say if you drag them behind you while in the pick up truck, or throw them into the truck from the work site, or not maintain them, or use them improperly they will indeed fail and not live up to your expectations! Batteries are delicate things and you need to know how to use them! heat, cold, physical shock will damage them! Running them beyond a safe discharge or over charging them will ruin them. Water, coffee, or soda on any battery will ruin them.

I have used my 18v series of tools now since early 2005. I have 10 batteries and rotate them. I have used my tools very hard in some projects, sometimes over did it with the tool, and most often used the tool properly! I have not any tool fail nor has any battery failed..

I also believe those using DE-Walt or Milwaukee or other name brand tools will have similar positive things to say!
                            You can not use the handle end of a drill as a hammer! It does not work that way!!!

Finally let's face it almost all of these tools today come out of the same factory, with different colors and some designs so you can't interchange them!

End of rant...Thanks

Cactus Man
                            "So, I have a 3 year warranty..but I can't locate any form to include with the UPC code and receipt when I mail it in for the lifetime coverage."
                            ..................Every Ridgid Tool I have purchased from HD has included a LSA registration form in the box. Of course the batteries you bought come in a plastic wrapped package. I suggest sending a email from your eBox requesting a address for downloading the form. I have found them to be very responsive to similar requests.

"See...this is what is so convoluted with the warranty registration system.
                            You never get real verification the item is indeed acknowledged as registered! You send in the original documentation and keep photocopies but then the documentation is always lost!"
                            ..............................Some people just seem to have stuff get lost on them. I have registered at least ten tools this year and nothing has ever been lost. The "LSA verification" notice
                            is always emailed to my internet email address with a direct hyper link to its posting on my Ebox.

"I also notice that serial numbers are also an issue. In the two pack of batteries, they have the same serial numbers! So How do you/ridgid know which battery is which? I have experienced this with my other batteries too."
                            ................................You will be happy to know they do that with everyone not just you so it must be that it is ok with them and it will all work out.

"Also in the registration section you can't go back and edit any errors!"
                            .................................STEPS.....
                            1-Scroll to the bottom of this page you are on.
                            2-Click on MyEbox graphic
                            3-click on "submit"
                            4-click on "My Stuff"
                            5-click on the model number for the product you want to edit. ie:Saw R854B
                            6-When the screen for that product comes up, find the Model number which is in huge numbers and look a little to the right. Wallah!.....You will see a "pencil" graphic and next to it the words "edit item" Try clicking on that and see what happens!

"I have purchased almost all of my 18 volt tools and all the batteries via E-bay!!!! The reason is the prices are better, but mostly E-bay seems to have a better inventory of the ridgid 18v tools!"
                            ........................................What kind of "receipt" do you get from ebay for the LSA registration process? I agree that most of the individual tool prices are better because people like me buy a tool set for the batteries or something and then sell the other individual tools on ebay. I have never found complete sets such as the R931 or R932 24V sets to match the "sale" HD prices and the shipping costs are often deal breakers on the individual tools. When I asked Ridgid customer service if there was any process for me transfering the LSA to a buyer on Ebay they told me the LSA could not be transfered from the original purchaser. Maybe thats why your warranty registration stuff is always getting "lost".
                            Anyway......I hope some of this has been helpfull.
                            Last edited by roadrashray; 11-21-2007, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                              you won't be sorry also you might also might want to check out the ridgid impact driver as well
                              Thanks for the advise. I appreciate the input.

Comment

Labman - I have been to stores and seen people have heated discussions and NEVER have I seen a HD rep ask a customer to LEAVE. I have personally acted like a doberman toward a few and they always smile and treat me with respect. (Though I admit this with a bit of chagrin.)

More to the point.

They did not fail to honor your warranty - HD referred you to the warranty provider. One must read their warranty to enforce it - don't you agree?

Craftsman does not have a lifetime replacement warranty on power tools - just hand tools, and then only certain ones.

Bottom line, you bought a tool - used the heck out of it, broke it, so send it in and let the people that KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING fix it. Consider yourself lucky if you don't have to pay for the service or parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X