Stuff your lifetime warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff your lifetime warranty

I too was sucked in by the promise of a lifetime warranty with free replacement. Break a Craftsman take it in and get a new one on the spot. Same with Snap-on, Mac, and many others. Vehicles under warranty that require downtime and you get a loaner.
    I'm a selfemployed electrical contractor and use my 18v hammer drill/driver daily. Then I noticed my bits were wobbling and the chuck wouldn't lock them in. One of the fingers in the chuck was worn smooth and would no longer grip the bits whether they were round or hex shanks. So I drove an hour back to the store and talked to the same guy that sold me the piece of junk and asked for a new one. After getting the runaround for 10 minutes they asked me to leave as the discussion started to get a little heated when he told me I had to send it to a service center to be evaluated. Nice.
    Spend $500.00 and still have to drill holes by hand. Last time I buy any Rigid product.

Craftsman & other brand non powered hand tools, I agree. Corded or battery powered tools though are usually handled totally differently in my experience.

[ 06-11-2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: JJC ]

Comment

What kind of car do you drive that you get a loaner for warranty work?
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

how long have you had this drill. the life time warranty is only on wormanship on the material to make the drill,like the housing if it just cracks with out you droping it 20 feet or if the clutch fails in a month or two or even in a year ,yes that is warranty.ridge was only running that lifetime warranty on the batterys so all you suckers would buy there tool.nothing has a lifetime warranty on a power tool.the best warranty on a power tool is milw.if you brought it tomy shop and were complaining about the bit slipping and i saw that the chuck was worn out,and it was a year old,i would tell you no warranty on wear items.if it was wobbling and the chuck looked good,i would try to get warranty on the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Labman:
          I too was sucked in by the promise of a lifetime warranty with free replacement. Break a Craftsman take it in and get a new one on the spot. Same with Snap-on, Mac, and many others. Vehicles under warranty that require downtime and you get a loaner.
          I'm a selfemployed electrical contractor and use my 18v hammer drill/driver daily. Then I noticed my bits were wobbling and the chuck wouldn't lock them in. One of the fingers in the chuck was worn smooth and would no longer grip the bits whether they were round or hex shanks. So I drove an hour back to the store and talked to the same guy that sold me the piece of junk and asked for a new one. After getting the runaround for 10 minutes they asked me to leave as the discussion started to get a little heated when he told me I had to send it to a service center to be evaluated. Nice.
          Spend $500.00 and still have to drill holes by hand. Last time I buy any Rigid product.
          You haven't tried to get a replacement on a Sears tool that has a motor. Sure they will replace hand tools (wrenches, sockets etc) but if there is a motor in it you get 30-90 days replacement and after that it goes to the repair shop. If the repair shop deems it normal wear they will notify you and charge for the repair.
          Rev Ed

Comment

I'm a "do it yourselfer" doing some finishing work on my basement. Easy stuff for a "construction grade" 18V hammer drill. I've had it about 9 months using it very part time. The trigger switch/variable rate went out: either it's full on or full off. So I found out the local authorized service dealer is trying to get out of his contract because it takes a month to get parts from ridgid! A warranty that requires a month waiting period is no warranty.

My wife also read me the fine print on the web site that states the drill in the "lifetime" combo kit only has a three year warranty. Well, I went to this site right after purchasing the combo kit and downloaded the warranty. There was no mention of that and I still have the hardcopy download if they EVER give me grief! I also kept the advertisement from Home Depot where I purchased it explicitly stating lifetime warranty, even for the batteries. It's clear that they've bamboozled everybody, even Home Depot.

I've spent the last 9 months bragging about ridgid. The next 30 years will be a different story!

Comment

Originally posted by valsarff:
              I'm a "do it yourselfer" doing some finishing work on my basement. Easy stuff for a "construction grade" 18V hammer drill. I've had it about 9 months using it very part time. The trigger switch/variable rate went out: either it's full on or full off. So I found out the local authorized service dealer is trying to get out of his contract because it takes a month to get parts from ridgid! A warranty that requires a month waiting period is no warranty.

I am by no means trying to defend Ridgid or any other power tool company, but if I were to guess, I would guess that you probably use the drill at partial speed most of the time.
              All cordless drills with v.s. trigger are designed to run at full speed almost all of the time, the v.s. feature is for starting screws and bits. DeWalt, while not the best manufacturer of tools, is the only one who's manual I've seen that mentions this weakness. So, if you are the type who grandmas the screws in, stop. Run it full speed as much as possible.

Comment

valsarff, the warranty that your wife found on Ridgid's website is their current warranty. It's not the warranty that your tools are covered under. All you need is a dated sales receipt showing you purchased your tools between 09/01/03 and 01/31/04 to receive lifetime warranty work on your tools. A search on this website using Ridgid Warranty as the subject should yeild you the official Ridgid explanation of the Lifetime Warranty.
                I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I'm a semipro woodworker and bought the 13" Ridgid planer about 4 years ago. At the time there was a "lifetime warranty".
                  Now the planer is off about 1/16" across a 4" wide board.
                  Is this something I can repair?
                  Will Ridgid replace the planer?
                  I have cedar chests promised for wedding gifts and cannot go 2-3-4 weeks without the planer.
                  Anybody have any suggestions????
                  Thanks MARVIN

Comment

I just purchased a 12" Ridgid sliding compound miter saw (model MS1290LZ). The dust bag does not collect the saw dust. Everything about the saw seems to be operating fine, but the saw dust gets tossed straight back from the blade instead of up into the dust bag. I even took the bag assembly off and still the dust went flying straight back, and all over the place, instead of up the throat of the dust bag collector shaft.

It appears that the dust collection system in the 12" compound sliding miter saw serves no purpose. Apparently, other purchasers of the saw are having the same problem. Will someone please tell me why Ridgid is making and selling products with important components that do not work? Time to take it back for a refund and get a DeWalt. I'm tired of being sprayed with dust every time I cut some wood.

Wallyworld

--------------------
                    Wallyworld

Comment

I agree with Labman. I bought my Ridgid tolls under the Lifetime Warranty. I was so imporessed with it I took out a loan so that I could buy many more tools. If lifetime quarantee doesn't mean lifetime, then Ridgid has scammed me along with a bunch of other customers. I spent about $4000 in tools.

Comment

DanO, have you had any first hand experience with Ridgid failing to honor the warranty? I don't believe that Ridgid failed to honor their warranty in Labmans' case. Labman got upset when HD wouldn't take just his word that there was a warranty problem and requested he take the drill/driver to a Service Center to verify that there was indeed a warranty claim. A request that is not unusual, especially considering the fact that he uses the tool commercially. Sorry, but I can't see where Ridgid "scammed" anyone here.

Comment

Labman's problem isn't necessarily a ridgid issue. Sounds like bad customer service at HD, nothing new there.
                          Again, Ridgid would have happier customers and more sales if they would expand significantly beyond HD. Anyplace I can buy Dewalt or Milwaukee I should be able to buy Ridgid.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

wallyworld-

Never found any mitersaw with a dustport that works. My DeWalt DW705 does ok with my dust collection system hooked up, but there is still dust. Try a dust hood.If the only thing you dont like about your ridgid slider is the dust collection, dont return it- Dewalt's is no better.

Comment

I would like to know, this is Ridgids web site
                              and they are never on here answering some of these qustions

Comment

Working...
                              X