X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 Design flaw?

I just put on Carter's urethane tires on my BS1400. This necessitated an adjustment to the support bearing’s alignment (step 9, figure on page 20 of owners manual: http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/BS1400_6412_eng.pdf). Easy enough to do: remove the bearing and the bearing holder . The bearing holder is a hexagonal rod that has the bearing screwed to one end and the knurled adjustment knob at the other. It can be rotated to give various distances off center (that is, each side of the hexagon is a different distance from the support bearing’s center). Therefore, when the bearing holder is rotated is bearing moves not only left/right, but also up/down. For a couple of these positions the bearing moves far enough down to hit the assembly holding the blade guides.

Assuming the above makes any sense, has anyone else encountered or heard of this problem?
    Last edited by cjh20; 01-22-2006, 12:53 PM.

Yes, I encountered the problem when I set up my BS14002 a few weeks ago. Get the right setting by re-positioning the hexagon until the back of the blade rides just inside of where the darker colored outside rim of the baring meets the brighter colored part of the bearing that is next toward the center (this part spins with the outer part). The side of the hexagon with the mounting screw hole nearest would be between 10&12 o'clock (looking at the front of the saw). This is about 1/8" as recommended in the manual. I had to re-mount the bearing a couple of times until I got it right. Do this with blade under tension. Same goes for under the table. This solved the problem for me. Maybe you need to change it for different blades; I've only used a 3/4" re-saw blade.

Comment

Roy – thanks for the input. The reason for the post was to point out the design of the support bearing system does not allow a full range of adjustments since the bearing strikes the blade guide assembly. I will (eventually) tear it down again, take some measurements and some photos. Maybe someone at Ridgid will notice the post and respond.

Comment

I forgot to mention (common sense really) is to unplug the saw, tension and track the blade. So far, I haven't had to tear down the saw. My problems have to do with unbalanced wheels and flat tires. Replacements for these on the way.
        I noticed that with a 3/4" Timberwolf blade, the upper guide block asembly, even when fully cranked forward, just covers the back part of the blade. But then, the blocks are only 1/2".
        Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X