Won`t be buying any more Ridid tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won`t be buying any more Ridid tools

In the last year I`ve gone through two R2600 variable speed random orbit sanders. I chose them over more tried and tested brands because it was the most comfortable. First one up and stopped working in after two weeks of work, took that back and exchanged it for a new one and the second one stopped another ten months later. Same thing, just up and stopped in mid use. Since it was way past the timeframe I had to return or exchange it, I took it to home depot to be sent out for repair. three days later they called me back saying that they can`t send it out and I have to deal directly with Rigid to either get the part needed or get it repaired. Since I`m a carpenter for a living and I use my orbital several times a week, I don`t have time for tools that stop working or tools I need to go through a run around to get fixed. I`ll get it fixed, but since I needed a sander the next day for a mantle I was building, I bought the comparable Porter Cable sander when I brought the Rigid to the Depot to drop off. Really burns me though that in one year time I`ve gone through three sanders and paid for two when the first one should have been right.
    This is not the only Rigid tool I`ve had trouble with BTW. I also have some of there platform stands that the handles broke on inside two months. Home Depot wouldn`t replace them for me either but directed me to Rigids web site instead where I could order the parts. I havn`t bothered since I can adjust the hieght on them with a wrench.
    I do also own a Rigid twelve inch compound miter saw. I bought it for a flooring project as a homeowner before I was a carpenter. Although this saw will not do what I need it to do on the jobsite and I had to get a DeWalt, I had no complaints with it in the capacity I did use it in. I have since given it to a friend and he has had no complaints either.
    All in all though, I can safely say I won`t be buying any more Rigid tools. I need tools to be there when I need them and not in the shop getting fixed. Considering that I`m a finish guy and therefore seem to need at least one of everything, lots of folks on and off jobsites ask my opinion on what tools to get. I will henceforth be telling them that in my experience Rigid tools are unreliable and prone to breaking and the so called warrenty is almost more hassle than its worth.
    John

sorry about your luck ravenson,but i will teel you this ridgid has some of the best saws around except for the sazall.big red will be hard to beat with that!there cordless tools are better than they were but better is out there,but the impact gun rocks!!as a carpenter myself i have never had a problem with there saws.i have seen a few folks on here state they have problems with there sanders. that is what this forum is for to ask some questions an get other peoples opions on tools and if the ridgid tool in question isn't very good who makes a good one.i do agree that on the job you need tools that preform day in and day out.i for one have had very very little luck with dewalt tools,and in fact before i moved from maryland to florida i had 13 non working dewalt tools all less than 5 years old some as little as 2 years that i gave to my father in law (he knew they didnt work and still wanted them)but others have had great luck with dewalt tools.so please don't condem the whole ridgid tool line over a $50 sander and some platform stands(not sure but i havent seen them in awhile are they still sold?were there that bad that they were discontiued?or did they sell well and are on back order?)like you stated the saw was great but under sized for your needs that is of no fault of ridgid or your self you got what you needed then out grow it everyone does that.i for one hope you reconcider ridgid in the next power tool you get just if you have adout post a questoin on here we as a group will shoot you strait i swear to that.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Are you gonna be just as burned up when you bring a DeWalt tool into Home Depot for fixing and they won't accept that either because they're NOT a service center? Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a couple of ROS's but you could have saved yourself alot of stress if you had just read and understood the warranty/LSA.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I`ll admit that the chopsaw was great for what I got it for, my needs just outgrew it. No complaints there. The stands are a pain, but as I said, I can tighten them with a wrench. Poor materials in the handles, but they still work. BTW, I bought them about eight months ago. I don`t know if they still carry them. The sander on the other hand chaps my *ss. I`ll admit I could have saved myself a lot of hassle and stress by better understanding the warrenty policy, but to my mind the warrenty is secondary to the quality of the tool in the first place. A tool shouldn`t break until its paid for itself and that sander didn`t.
        BTW, no, I won`t be as burned when a DeWalt tool of mine needs repair because I know five places inside an hours drive I can take it for service same with my Porter Cable and Milwaukee tools. for example, my DeWalt chopsaws electric break is malfuntioning and I got a horrible flapping sound from the motor.. I got new brushings twenty minutes from the jobsite and had it running again in minutes. Fixed the flapping but not the break. Forty minutes from site and on my way home from where most of my work is is a place that ordered a new switch for me and will work with my shedule for install so as to only have it for a day. (I use my chopsaw almost daily. Not having it for a couple of weeks would mean I`d need to drop four bills on a new one or be out of work) If I could find somewhere nearby to take my sander I`d be less unhappy, but it looks like I`ll have to mail it in and wait. Good thing I bought a replacement!
        This does look like a good forum and the folks here seem nice and seem to know what they are talking about. I`m glad I stumbled across it. I do use consumer reports on Amazon, magazine ratings and such things when buying tools to try to help get the best bang for my buck and this forum will be helpfull there too!
        John

Comment

Maybe one of these Ridgid Service Centers can help you out,

Granite State Tool Sales
          47 Bradford Road
          Sunapee, NH

125 Tools Inc.
          111 Plaistow Road
          Plaistow, NH

Bob's Elec. Tool Service Inc.
          6 Pheasant Run
          Pembroke, NH
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

hey bd i must be getting old and slow.i cant find any where on this site on where the service centers are here in florida,oh well glad i dont need one at the moment.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, go to your ebox and click on any of the tools you have registered. When the tool comes up, there is a link you can click on to find a listing of the Service Centers. HTH.

Comment

That will definitly help. Thanks!

Comment

bd you are like god here in this forum i cant think of a time that you have ever been wrong.this is another 5time that you were right and thanks again.(gee i wish you were wrong just once so i knew if you were human or not(and i am leaning towards not)
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, there is absolutely no doubt in my unmilitary like mind that any shop that doesn't include the top of the line RotoZip tool is an incomplete shop. It is manufactured using the highest quality materials and is absolutely the best designed tool ever to be invented! You can take that to the bank.

Comment

lol and thanks but i think i'll have to pass on that on lmao
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, Badger Dave is not a person, he is a computer.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Badger Dave

That's what I thought too.
                          I believe his Dad's name was HAL !

Typical morning at little Badgers house:

Good Morning Dave.
                          Good Morning HAL.
                          What would you like for breakfast, Dave?
                          I'd like bacon and eggs, HAL.
                          I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that. Too much cholesterol. How about cereal?
                          OK HAL and thanks. I want to grow up to be just like you!
                          Last edited by Lorax; 03-06-2006, 10:09 AM.
                          Lorax
                          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax

Originally posted by Lorax
                            That's what I thought too.
                            I believe his Dad's name was HAL !
                            You realize don't you that most of the people here are going, who's HAL???

ps; I like cereal. Honey Bunches of Oats, it's a mouthful of joy!

Comment

what in the hell did i start?lmao
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X