New 3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 3650

Well I did it! Stopped at HD & bought a 3650 549.00 - 20% coupon 470.00 after tax! Plus a 75.00 gift card. Now I just have to find time to put it together. So what kind of blade do you guys suggest? I don't have a jointer is there a blade that cuts well enough so I can get buy without one! Thanks again for all your help! cudaaa

Originally posted by cudaaa
    Well I did it! Stopped at HD & bought a 3650 549.00 - 20% coupon 470.00 after tax! Plus a 75.00 gift card. Now I just have to find time to put it together. So what kind of blade do you guys suggest? I don't have a jointer is there a blade that cuts well enough so I can get buy without one! Thanks again for all your help! cudaaa
    I recently finished getting my TS3650 tuned up, and the final key to getting a good cut was to replace the OEM blade with a Forrest Woodworker II blade.

Works like a charm now. Not the cheapest combo blade out there, but not the most expensive either.

Comment

I'll second the recommendation for a Forrest WWII 40T...I prefer the thin kerf, and Forrest will recommend that for your saw. Amazon has them for about $80 delivered...outstanding blade! A less expensive alternative to a good general purpose blade is the Freud LU86R010 for about $36 from Amazon...it's a step above the Diablo and Avanti series, and is very good but not quite at the level of the Forrest. The Ridge Carbide TS2000 from Holbren.com is in the same league and price range as the Forrest.

You should also consider getting a dedicated 24T ripping blade for thick stock. I'm using a DeWalt DW7124 TK with FTG teeth...I also have an identical Leitz 24T blade that's just as good...both are impressive in heavy stock even with a smaller saw. The Freud LU87 24T should be fine too, but won't be quite as efficient as a TK ripper with FTG teeth. If you get a ripping blade you could also get something like a Freud LU88R010 60T crosscut/general purpose blade instead of the 40T general purpose.

There is no blade that will help a TS do what a jointer does best, and that's to flatten one face of the board and square up an adjacent edge to that face. With a jig, it's possible to get a straight edge on a board from the TS assuming the board is dead flat but few are. Most of the general purpose blades will give an edge that's clean enough to glue up right from the saw.

Comment

Working...
      X