X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgids service is going downhill!

Update - Today, 6/23/06, the problem was fixed.
    dan

First, I've been away from the forum for a while, so long that my username is unavailable. Anyway.

I've got two problems with my Ridgid DP1500 drill press and Ridgids "customer service" stinks. Before anyone asks, yes I do have the "Lifetime Warranty" on it - it was purchased a long while ago. I was told by the first "CS" operator that they won't send me parts and that I have to take it to a service center. I told her that I wouldn't be able to do that and that I've made repairs to my other Ridgid tools in the past in my shop. She then told me that parts were no longer available What's the point of having a "Lifetime Warranty" if you stop carrying the parts after a year or two???

I asked for a manager who left me on hold for 5 minutes because she was already on a call. After five minutes I went to her voicemail I've always been a supporter of Ridgid tools, but if this is representative of their CS then I'll turn a 180 on my support.

I'm hoping that it was something simple; that I wasn't speaking to the right people. Ridgid used to have "higher-ups" monitoring this forum and I'm hoping that one will contact me to help me get the parts I need.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan J; 06-23-2006, 05:50 PM. Reason: Updating the situation

The Lifetime Service Agreement plainly states that you either must take or send the tool in question to an Authorized Ridgid Service Center. If you're unwilling to do that then I'm sure that an Authorized Ridgid Servie Center near you will be more than happy to sell you the parts you need so you can do the work yourself.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Please explain to me how, without taking anything to Ridgid's service centers, I've had parts mailed to me (from Ridgid) so that I could make the repairs in my shop. Multiple shipments, not just a one time thing.

I think you're citing a new agreement.

Dan

Comment

Dan J,

How long ago was that (when Ridgid would just mail parts to you on your request)?

While the older "gray" tools were covered by a "Full Lifetime Warranty", that was only against "defects in workmanship and material" and it did not cover "failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear". (The new "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" does cover normal wear and tear!)

I have the older DP1550 and the above quoted statements are from that warranty. Furthermore, that warranty states, "To obtain the benefit of this warranty, deliver via prepaid transportation the complete product to Ridge Tool Company, Elyria, Ohio, or any authorized Ridgid Independant Service Center." So, I don't see that the current warranty and service is a step-down at all; but, in fact, at least is covers wear and tear items now.

Perhaps at the time the DP1500 model was being sold, the warranty and service program was different. But then so was everything else in America (I still long for 15-cent hamburgers and 28-cent gasoline and guys that would check my oil, clean my windshielg, fill the washer bottle, and hand me a free steak-knife as a thankyou for my purchase), but times do change.

I certainly respect your longing for service as it once was, but today, I'd be highly surprised if you'll find any company who would just mail you parts based your verbal claim that they need replacement. In today's legal environment, letting a customer do his own service can get a company sued.

Times do change and sometimes it's NOT for the better,

CWS

Comment

Call me crazy or old-fashioned, but I'm a man of my word. If I say I'll do something I do it. I'd expect the same from anyone I do business with. Ridgid isn't doing that - yet.

I guess if Ridgid voided, or significantly changed the current warranty tomorrow everyone would be ok with it and would sing their praise?

Dan

Comment

Dan J,

We do monitor the boards. In almost all cases, the knowledgeable members of this forum provide the answers to questions (as they have again in this case regarding the warranty policy). However, I am sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience with customer service. We do try to keep legacy parts in stock for problems such as yours. If you'd like to tell me the part numbers I'd be happy to check their availability. Unfortunately, I do not know which parts you have received in the past, or the circumstances of those transactions so I cannot comment.

Feel free to use the "private message" or "contact us" if you prefer to send your contact information out of public view.

Comment

PM sent.

Thank you,
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand
                Feel free to use the "private message" or "contact us" if you prefer to send your contact information out of public view.
                Where did you go? It's been 10 days and I've sent two PM's to you and haven't heard anything back. What's going on?

Dan

Comment

Sorry Dan, i think I need to teach ProBrand how to use the private message features of the forum. i think he was under the impression that it goes to his email.

I'll talk to him right now.

Josh

Comment

Actually ProBrand does check his PMs. He said he wrote back to you and is still waiting on a reply. Are you sure your checking the right place for PMs?

Josh

Comment

Pms

pms! now the members of the forum got pms?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                        Actually ProBrand does check his PMs. He said he wrote back to you and is still waiting on a reply. Are you sure your checking the right place for PMs?

Josh
                        It's been three business weeks since I first complained and theres still no news.

He said he's still waiting for a reply??? His ONLY PM to me was sent Wednesday; I sent him my first PM weeks ago and he's waiting for me to reply??? His reply PM is asking me what update I'm referring to??? That was sent on 5/3/06 which is a while after I first complained and sent my PM's. I sent my PM's to him on 4/18/06 and 4/20/06. Does he not have my original PM telling him about the problem.

I'll just send my PM to you and hope I can finally get the drill press fixed. I can't believe this is taking so long. Three weeks is crazy.

Dan

Comment

customer service

I can see where a company might limit the amount of parts they might send to anyone person for warranty repairs. I could also see how someone might start a side business selling these parts on ebay also. Things Change, would you rather have it where the company does this until it's out of business and have a shop full of orphaned tools?
                          Until you've worked with the general public and seen how some try to take advantage of something they think is free.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by bigangelman
                            I can see where a company might limit the amount of parts they might send to anyone person for warranty repairs. I could also see how someone might start a side business selling these parts on ebay also. Things Change, would you rather have it where the company does this until it's out of business and have a shop full of orphaned tools?
                            Until you've worked with the general public and seen how some try to take advantage of something they think is free.

Tom
                            Well you sure sound terribly jaded. And, I don't appreciate your implied accusations. Do you believe that you're the only person that's ever worked with the public or that you're Ridgid's watchdog? If Ridgid has a question about things they will ask me. If they thought I was getting repair parts to sell them they could ask me for a picture or the damaged part back which I would be willing to do.

After not hearing from anyone at Ridgid I was getting worried and considering my options and next steps. But, someone at Ridgid finally emailed me and hopefully they are working on the problem which made me feel better. Despite what you may think, you are definitely not helping the situation.

dan

Comment

I've been asked what's happening, and in order to keep everyone updated I'll post it here. I'm still waiting for the parts (it's been a month and a half), but I spoke to a gentleman who said he's working on it and waiting for information on the parts. In the meantime I am still without a drill press and I'll probably have to buy a new one while I'm waiting for the parts What a huge pain.

dan

Comment

Working...
                              X