18v ridgid impact driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v ridgid impact driver

Mine died this week while driving screws on a deck job. I am going to get it repaired as it is still covered. What I am wondering is this a common thing with the driver or did I get a rare lemon.
    http://www.wolffhomerepair.com

I have driven 2.5" deck screws with no problems. You could have bought the odd lemon....So what exactly were your doing in more detail?
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

At the time it died I was srewing down 5/4 PT decking. Before that it was used to assemble all of the frame of the deck.

Comment

i have the 14.4 ridgid impact and loved it it is an amazing tool i liked it so much that i bought a 18 volt lith ion maktia impact driver as well(longer run time and new toy hehe)but i must admit that the ridgid at times felt odd when it really is being worked hard though it has not broke so i have to say at this ponit you must have gotten a lemon get it fixed and keep going with it
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Got it back today. not bad a little over a week. and just in time for my next deck job on Monday.

Comment

well used it yesterday. it was fine for about 30 screws then heated up enough that I could not touch it.

Comment

Hot Impact Driver

I have a 14.4 Ridgid impact driver and have had no problems. It does get hot if you constantly are driving large screws. I was using it on a deck a couple weeks ago, driving 3 inch #8's into pressure treated, and I had to give it a "rest". The outside temperature was 30 Celsius (I think that's about 85 F), so I thought nothing about it. I certainly was hot, so why shouldn't the tool be as well?
              Odd that yours should overheat driving smaller screws, though.

Comment

I could deal with it getting hot from the sun. All tools does this. This one gets soo hot that I got a slight burn blister fron the metal nose cone.

Comment

I just did a neighbours 36 X 14 deck, she got rather hot driving the 1/2 X 6 lags into the anchors for the ledger board but i also let them sit and hammer for a while, even then we needed a breaker bar to finish snugging up the lags. I know, wrong hardware but I had to work with what he bought. I sank 2.5" deck screw for 2 batteries and it didn't get any warmer than when it was sitting in the 86° direct sun. Unless you are driving large lags or setting nuts on carriage bolts and tightening to 100 FT LB or more I would say your driver is a bit buggered. Driving #8 2.5 and #10 3.5 into PT did not cause excessive heating of the hammer mechanism.

Comment

Re: 18v ridgid impact driver

I've had the 14v ridgid impact for over a year now and and can't say enough good things about it, compact and very powerful. The supplied battery was a little small for driving a bunch of 6" lag bolts but using an additional battery and swaping them out I've driven 1/2"x 5" hex bolts into lock nuts all day. Other wood workers who have borrowed it for a few minutes love it too. Yes it does heat up but with the lifetime warrenty I keep pushing it and it works great. I love this impact and with 6 impacts and cordless screwdrivers I've learned what works and what doesn't. In my oinion while Ridgid doesn't make the sexiest tools in town I've never had a problem unlike the Dewalt tools I've had.

Comment

I've got 2 of the Ridgid 14v impact drivers (generally 1 to drive screws and 1 to drive large bolts, my work requires both) and these are strong units. I am a professional woodworker so I've tried different units over the years and these are the best I've found. Yes I get them hot (you can smell the smoke) and I keep on pushing them (lifetime warrenty). The batteries are getting old (after 2 1/2 years) and they aren't very pretty anymore but while they are a little on the heavy side I wouldn't trade them period.... Better than Dewalt by far and with more power than Makita not to mention the lower price Ridgid is my choice. I only wish Ridgid offered an even more powerful impact driver so I wouldn't feel guilty when I'm driving 1/2"x6" lag bolts.
                      Other woodworkers who have borrowed were impressed and bought them.
                      Final thought... While I wish Ridged offered Lithium Ion batteries I've had so many problems with Dewalt tools over the years that I'd take a slightly heavier Ridgid impact over ANY Dewalt tool.
                      Spencer Boyd

Comment

Hmmm.. I'm suprised you can smell smoke. The only time I over worked my 14.4v impact was driving lag screws on a hot summer day, and the thermal cut out kicked in when it got too hot.

Comment

I have the 18 v lithium Ion driver. used it for a 6 hour day the first time out. kinda slow, but worked. 2 months later pulled it out to help a friend with a deck. Wouldn't even drive the 3" screws into 3/8ths decking. No torque to speak of. Changed settings, but when the head of the screw hit the top of the decking, it wimped out! Any suggestions? Speed is good on 2 setting, but bogs down. Can't handle a simple screw for approx. $200 driver? Buddy had a dewalt he has built a small cabin, covered bridge and about 90 feet of decking on a pier with without a hitch!

Comment

You should have started a new thread, this one is ancient.
                            You don't mention what type of batteries you have.
                            Did you charge the batteries before you started using them on the deck? If they are nicads and have been sitting unused for two months, they would have lost most of their power. You will need to discharge and charge a few times.
                            There are other things about batteries, particularly nicads that are important. Never run them until they are totally dead. As soon as you start to lose power throw them on the charger. Running them until they are drained will kill them prematurely.

If nothing else, you can take comfort in knowing that your Ridgid batteries are part of the Lifetime Service Agreement.
                            You did register for it, didn't you?

Comment

My son in law has His own remodeling/construction bus. after talking to him about a cordless drill gun I bought the Ridgid 18 volt and it works great he has a Dewalt set of battery tools for sale and claims the Ridgid runs cicles around them, while my brother in law swears by Dewalt but He did install the alarm system in local dewalt service center which gives Him great service so Dat's my 2 cents for what it is worth

Comment

Working...
                              X