X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement remodeling fun.

My family and I purchased a new home a few months ago. I am in the process of building and finishing 2 additional bedrooms in the basement. As I am spending more time in the basement throughout this project I have started to put more thought into the future and a potential idea of installing a bathroom down there as well. I have identified a possible location as of yet and thought I would ask for some advice. My wife mentioned that the builder had said in passing that the area in the pictures below is a possibility.
    In addition to all this I have started to notice that the sump hole has recently started to fill with water from the gas furnace. Not much (about 12 ~ 16 inches thus far) and we only run the furnace maybe a couple of hours a day as we primarily heat the house with the fireplace and only use the furnace late at night. Due to the humidity during the winter time and the enclosed basement I do not see the water evaporating too soon.
    So I guess this is a two part deal and sorry for doubling it into the same thread, but figured it would make sense as they both refer to the same pics. I suppose what I am really looking for is whether you think a bathroom could be put somewhere in the area, and how a sump pump would be installed to keep the hole drained (is it even necessary?). As I am not much of a plumber and have never worked with pex or much more than changing fixtures, toilets or outside irrigation I would most likely have a plumber do the work for the sump pump and roughing in the bathroom if I do go that route.
    I am also curious how the toilet and other fixtures would drain if put into that area in the basement as they would sit below the main drain? Any thoughts on a random rough guess at the cost of having the sump installed? Would the sump be roughed into the main drain above I would assume? Finally in pic4 I see what appears to be a vent for the main drain. Would that be normal to be there and would there be any concerns about dry walling over that in the future? I suppose from the length of this thread and all the questions it is apparent that this is not a project for me to be doing myself, I am mostly just trying to understand what might need to be done and how so I can get a better idea of what I might be getting into, as well as if anyone thinks I am worrying too much and perhaps the sump is not even necessary? I had thought about just closing that area off and leaving it unfinished with a simple door for access... but an additional bathroom would be nice downstairs as there will someday be the 2 finished bedrooms as well as a third room for my office and a large family room.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions.
    Attached Files
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

wwsmith,

There are still a lot of unknowns in your question.

1. What Code are you using?
    2. Are you on septic or city sewer?
    3. What is the invert of the pipe entering the septic tank or city sewer?
    4. What is the distance from the house to the septic system or city sewer?

Anything can be accomplished it is just a question as to how much you are willing to spend and what compromises you will accept.

You can easily add a sump pump to your sump but you will have to run it outside separate from your house drain. You might want to also consider a condensate pump. As for your bathroom if all else fails you could have a sewer ejector system installed in your basement for the basement bathroom. I think your first step is going to be to get a plumber to come out and survey what you have and what you would like.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      wwsmith,

There are still a lot of unknowns in your question.

1. What Code are you using?
      2. Are you on septic or city sewer?
      3. What is the invert of the pipe entering the septic tank or city sewer?
      4. What is the distance from the house to the septic system or city sewer?
      Thanks for the response Mark. Now that I am more awake this morning after a good nights sleep I realize that my original post is rather long winded and perhaps not too clear. I will attempt to answer your questions and summarize what I am after.

1. Althought not an expert, I do believe we use the UPC here in MT.
      2. I am on a city sewer and water system.
      3. I am not even sure what or how to answer that question?
      4. I do not have an exact measurement, but esitmate it to be about 50 yards from where the main drain leaves the house to the curb.

I suppose what I am ideally looking for are answers to the following questions:

1. Do you think I need a sump pump? Am I worrying too much?
      2. Where would the sump pump drain to? Mark mentioned it would not connect to my main drain, so now I am a bit confused.
      3. In pic4 there is what appears to be a vent. Is this normal and should I not cover that with drywall?
      4. In pic3 it appears the plumber may have left the option to easily connect into the hot/cold water supply lines leading me to believe perhaps he also thought that area may serve well as a basement bathroom.
      5. If I put the bathroom there, how would the drains work as it would be sitting underneath my main drain?

Due to the vast construction boom in the area recently, the weather and the somewhat remote and small town that I live in I am currently looking at late January before I can possibly get a plumber onsite. I was just poking around for some information to see what I am getting into for the time being and other opinions.

TIA,
      WWS

Comment

wwsmith,

Montana uses the Uniform Plumbing Code so at least now we know which code you are in. If the water in your sump is limited to condensation from your HVAC it can be drained to your sanitary drainage system. If your sump will have any ground water or rain water included in the sump you cannot drain it to your sanitary system. If I owned a home with a basement bathroom or an equipment area with a water heater I would want to have a sump with a pump which pumps to the outside. If all you are worried about is the condensate from your FAU you can buy a condensate pump and pump the condensate to your sanitary drain.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod=13024&Cat=284

Depending on how your house is situated and the elevations you can run a new sewer line for the basement bathroom. In order for this to work the sewer line invert (bottom) at the street would have to be at least 50” below the elevation of the basement floor. If the flood rim of the fixtures were below the upstream manhole you would need to also have a backwater valve to protect the fixtures.

A more likely approach would be to install a sewer ejection system in the floor of your basement. All of the drains from your fixtures would drain in to the ejector system which would then pump the sewage to your existing sanitary drain. The HVAC condensate and a floor drain could also be drained into the sewer ejection system

http://zoeller.thomasnet.com/viewitems/package-systems-basins/910-sewage-systems?&forward=1

Picture # 4 appears to be a drain line but I would not be too concerned about the vent. Out of all of the work you will need to do finding a way to vent the fixtures will be the easy part.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-12-2006, 05:41 PM.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Things are starting to make more sense now. My basement is just over 2,000 square feet so I hope that when done I won't be dealing with rain or ground water in there and just the condesation from the furnace. It sits well below the street level so although I cannot say for sure, I suspect it is likely that it would not meet the 50" requirement. The sewer ejection system sounds like what the builder was probably recommending when he discussed this with my wife some time ago. The sump hole was originally installed as the hot water heater was to be in the same area, along with the washer and dryer. They changed that shortly after finishing the basement concrete as they were getting feedback that people would not want to go up and down the stairs for laundry so it was moved upstairs and replaced the pantry. You are correct that picture #4 is a drain line. It is actually the main drain just before it drops down and exits the house.

Finally, I can agree with the idea of pumping any water outside. But I am curious what happens after it goes outside in your suggestion? Does it just pump out to the yard or must it go somewhere specific by some code? Mostly curious as this could affect some landscaping ideas if I do decide to go the pump route.

Comment

Working...
          X