X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kitchen/bath drain connections

Greetings, While installing a kitchen or bath drain I seem to come across a recurring problem. All drains were plastic(not sure of proper term-pvc?). Every now and then I get this one connection that just won't stop leaking. I end up connecting and reconnecting until it no longer leaks. Is there something or product I'm not hip to? I do check for proper gasket seating and no matter how tight it still leaks. I once saw this guy use pipe joint compound on all connections, but that just did not seem kosher. What is the proper way? Do you guys use teflon? Whats the difference between black plastic and white?
    Thanks

Originally posted by Leonard View Post
    Greetings, While installing a kitchen or bath drain I seem to come across a recurring problem. All drains were plastic(not sure of proper term-pvc?). Every now and then I get this one connection that just won't stop leaking. I end up connecting and reconnecting until it no longer leaks. Is there something or product I'm not hip to? I do check for proper gasket seating and no matter how tight it still leaks. I once saw this guy use pipe joint compound on all connections, but that just did not seem kosher. What is the proper way? Do you guys use teflon? Whats the difference between black plastic and white?
    Thanks
    leonard, white plastic is typically pvc and black is abs.

i assume the issues are with slip joint connections/ 1.25'' and 1.5''

i prefer the plastic type slip joint washers over the rubber style. the tapered portion goes towards the fitting you're connecting to and the flat side towards the back of the slip joint nut.

a proper alingnment is required to properly seat the washer into the connection. if all else fails a littly bit of putty will help seat the washer and fill the void. if you use pipe dope, make sure it's safe for plastic pipe. usually the teflon based dopes are fine.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, 1.5 diameter with slip joint connections is what I'm using . I'll try a bit of putty first.
      Is there any specific reason to choose pvc over abs or visa versa?
      Thanks
      Leonard

Comment

your local code dictates what material to use. out here abs is the standard. the supply houses only stock the black/ abs slip joint tubing. some of the hardware chains stock the white pvc. in the walls it's only black abs pipe.

for outside drainage or sewers we can use either abs or pvc. i prefer the pvc over abs. i feel it's a stronger material and is much nicer to camera white pipe than black pipe.

a new city dog pound spec. out sch. 40 white pvc for their drains over abs.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X