• Show
Clear All

• Shower Pan Not Level

what should i use under shower pan to level it
    if i use mortor will it stick to pan so i can not get it back
    out.
    thanks
    bob m

bob, the shower floor needs to slope to the drain prior to hot mopping. the purpose of this is to allow for any moisture/ water to work its way to the weep holes when water gets through the grout.

if your intstalling a pre-fabbed plastic shower pan, then you need to level the sub-floor. plaster of paris works good too, to set the pan into wet mud and level. just make sure it's level before it sets hard, fast.

i wouldn't worry about the mortar sticking to the base. this is something that is a permanent installation. it's not like you're going to change it on a yearly basis.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Have you ever seen this system used in a shower application? Thoughts?

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...section-h.html

thanks

Comment

not familiar with that system. looks like it's an imported product

city of los angeles would require a testing lab report and approval.

i have used the vinyl shower pan liners. not a big fan of them. too easy to puncture on a commercial job.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MIDDEN1 View Post
          what should i use under shower pan to level it
          if i use mortor will it stick to pan so i can not get it back
          out.
          thanks
          bob m
          The manufacture will generally tell you what they want under the fiberglass (or plastic) pan but it is more for support than it is for leveling. Mortar or casting plaster is what generally is used. I am not sure why you would want to remove it later but the pan can be removed later if needed depending on the type of surface the bottom has.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i wanted to remove the fiberglass pan made by sterling so i could put silicone all around bottom as i have seen recommended.but since i have read sterlings
            instuctions it said not to use silicone as it may trap moisture and create mold
            bob m

Comment

Try a water-resistant mortar and make it kind of soupy so it will not set-up too fast and you should be fine. As you are setting the pan make sure you wiggle it a bit to get rid of any air pockets.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post

Have you ever seen this system used in a shower application? Thoughts?

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...section-h.html

thanks
                I've used the Schluter Shower System a few times. It works great and is very easy to instal. Its becoming quite popular up here. I've used Shluter products for years on my tile jobs. They make good quality products.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                X