Clear All

• Soldering

what is the best type of solder and soldering flux to use
    i have lead free solder and lead free water soluble flux made by sterling
    also what can i do to prevent that green corrosion build up on
    outside of pipes.
    thanks
    bob m

We had a simular question recently, from a nice sculptor lady, working in copper. A plumber here in Norway gets me to come and TIG weld copper for him, if the work is to be very "visible", as TIG gives a very neat & strong weld.
    He'd got the tip from Denmark, where I've worked with artists & plumbers.

Comment

The water soluble flux is garbage! I understand though that many states require its use by code but,come on now, how do they enforce it? I only use canadian metal acid paste. Not all lead free solder is the same, I like the envirobrite but 95/5 (tin/antimony) is good too. To prevent that green corrosion build up be sure to clean any remaining flux residue with a damp cloth and then dry.
      You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
        The water soluble flux is garbage! I understand though that many states require its use by code but,come on now, how do they enforce it? I only use canadian metal acid paste. Not all lead free solder is the same, I like the envirobrite but 95/5 (tin/antimony) is good too. To prevent that green corrosion build up be sure to clean any remaining flux residue with a damp cloth and then dry.
        Water soluble flux is required in California.
        It is junk.
        It is enforced by inspectors. If an inspector walks on the job and sees your plumbers soldering with the wrong flux it could mean reinstalling the entire system. So I wouldn't advise chancing it.
        the dog

Comment

everflux is the only decent water safe flux that i know of.

that's why i use propress on the live tie in's. no worries about water running.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Yeah I've found the water based flux to be inferior as well...
            I think I've tried Sterling and Oatey.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              Yeah I've found the water based flux to be inferior as well...
              I think I've tried Sterling and Oatey.
              Can I ask a question?

I'm wondering why your responses have an image of a gun. I myself own and collect guns. I own about 25 myself. But I wonder why you are making a statement with one.
              the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                Can I ask a question?

I don't know - can you???

I'm wondering why your responses have an image of a gun. I myself own and collect guns. I own about 25 myself. But I wonder why you are making a statement with one.

It's not in my responses - it's my avatar.
                I just happen to enjoy collecting Sig's and HK's.
                ...and that's not a pic of my personal Sig, it's a P226 .357 that I found on the net. I have a similar one along with few dozen others...

Comment

I used Everflux for the first time today. I noticed it's not as thick as some of the other pastes, but never the less it worked great on the few 1/2 copper joints I soldered! Much better than the other water soluble stuff I've tried...

Comment

Working...
                  X