Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you re-glue a chipped toilet

Hey guys,
    I was working in a commercial building doing a remove and reinstall of a crane flush valve type toilet. Ater they tiled I went to reinstall this old toilet and accidentally chipped off the rear corner on the base. I looked around and for what its worth, a brand new toilet would be a waste in this builing where no one cares about looks. So rather than buy a new one I was hoping I could use some kind of contact cement or something to glue this chunk back on. It doesnt have to hold water because its on the base, and its in a spot where it wont affect the leveling or strength. Any suggestions?

thanks
    Born To Hula!

Epoxy would probably be a good choice in this case.
    RTV would probably work too in a pinch.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I've used Gorilla Glue with good results.
      the dog

Comment

Re: Can you re-glue a chipped toilet

I swear by A & B epoxy putty. It's sold in swimming pool stores.

Unlike the other epoxy putties I've used, this one works better under water. And, out of water, it's very easy to work with if you moisten your hands first. It makes a fabulous seam that looks great on ceramic and porcelain.

I've used it to repair toilets and tubs, as well as to patch the plaster in the swimming pools.
        If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

ya thanks guys, I grabbed some epoxy at my wholesaler and it worked great. The only issue I had was color. The epoxy was gray, creating a problem, so i just put some white dap in the crack and it looked fine.

let me say again, I would never do this willy-nilly. If i damage something, I'll replace it. But given the circumstances, this was an acceptable fix.

Thanks Again,
          Born_to_hula!

Comment

You might try applying white Appliance Epoxy Paint to the area. I usually do this even when I use white epoxy putty.

If you do use the paint, use a q-tip to apply it. Get a plastic grocery bag, spray the q-tip into the bag, avoiding overspray and making a neat puddle to dip the q-tip into if you need more paint.
            If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

Working...
            X