Ugh! compression fittings!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cactusman,

Leaks don't stop they get a little corrosion then wait until they can do a lot of damage. I like the Pasco puller over the others. By the way I see you are in Glendale. My youngest just went to work for the City of Glendale.

Bob,

It looks like the NSPC is the same as the IPC. I almost forget there is a NSPC out there because so few areas use it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

A common mistake in installing compression fittings is to tighten the nut with a pair of pliers. This often distorts the brass nut, preventing it to be tightened properly, and make a good seal.

They should be tightened with a flare nut wrench, or at least an end wrench.
      the dog

Comment

You are so right Dog. I cringe every time I see one of those Destroy It Yourself shows and the 'plumbing expert' is using a couple pliers to install some screwed fitting or such, even on chrome, who'd of thunk.

BTW; Happy New Year everyone.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          A common mistake in installing compression fittings is to tighten the nut with a pair of pliers. This often distorts the brass nut, preventing it to be tightened properly, and make a good seal.

They should be tightened with a flare nut wrench, or at least an end wrench.
          i have a complete set of ratcheting compression nut wrenches. not sure of the correct name as i usually call them a angle stop wrench. the most common are the 5/8'' for 3/8'' compression nuts and 15/16'' for the common angle stop nut. pasco even sells a combination with both sizes on opposite ends of the wrench. while you're at it, pick up the pasco wrench designed to hold a 1/2'' slip nut stop or a 3/8'' compression stop in place while you tighten the angle stop with the ratcheting wrench.

rick.

ps. dog, how was your vacation? you missed my "hollywood debut"
          phoebe it is

Comment

Just to finalize my posting....

Yes, Compression fittings are "not self healing" My Sister-in-law was experiencing a few drops.

I took your [all] advice and purchased a faucet handle puller with a 1/2" adaptor for removing compression sleeves, total cost about eleven dollars.
            I now have a two/fer as I can now easily pull stubborn handles and remove 1/2" compression sleeves.
            My plan today was to first try using "the correct tool" I originally used a crescent wrench and I obviously ran out of arm muscle.

My plan....
            Use a flare wrench and give the nut 1/4 turn to see what happens..If the drip continued I was prepared to pull off the old sleeve and install a new one.

I guess the 1/4 turn did it as we "have dry!"

By the way the old faucet was a 1988 vintage delta single lever type that had obviously been leaking for a very long time. Now, she has a satin chrome Price Pfister faucet with the pull out spray hose in the faucet and 3 spray styles. Since her first faucet never had a spray hose..her only challenge now is to remember when using the spray to point it down into the sink! She has
            sprayed the stove, the dogs and herself but I suspect she will get used to it ha ha

Thanks

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              I

After cleaning the area for the new faucet, I installed a really nice Price Pfister faucet.
              such a thing exists??
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                such a thing exists??
                Big Pipe,

I have to agree with you there. You are talking some sense.
                the dog

Comment

faucet information

price pfister model 534-70SS

lowes item number 30157

The faucet does exist!

Cactus Man

Comment

I think it is the ' really nice ' part that they are having doubts about.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

don't know about your idea of a good faucet, but i feel that a price phister is the general motors of faucets. you can get it wth chevy trim all the way up to a cadillac trim level.

by the way, i would put price phister in before i would ever think of anything kohler. not just my opinion, but opinions of anybody that does service and repair. by the way, price phister still has customer service and does send out free parts, just ask. try that with kohler.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

On the topic of compression fittings... how often do they spring a leak? I read somewhere that it's against code to use compression fittings within a wall or other inaccessible area. Why is this? For the casual DIY plumber, they're a whole lot more reliable to put together than solder joints. I just don't want to be the idiot that puts one in a wall and then has mystery water flowing through a roof somewhere...

Comment

What I like about Price Pfister is you can buy repair parts for a 50-year old faucet/valve almost anywhere and much of what was built back then has interchangeable parts from today's faucets/valves.

However, unlike Rick I like Kohler as well and have had it in my home for 30-years.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: Ugh! compression fittings!!!

Kohler sent out a hose for a pull out spray that was made back in 95 and did not charge the home owner. And it was made in Germany so not cheap and give out for free , This also was for a faucet that was made before they started their lifetime parts policy.I have always had good service with them and repaired tub and shower valves , kitchen faucets , several different styles of one piece toilets . always able to get parts . But Price Pfister I have never dealt with them so don't really know? One thing I don't like about kohler is they do not have any remodel plates to go from 2 or 3 handle to 1 always use moen posi-temp.

Comment

Working...
                            X