Hot Water Crossover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Crossover

I have recently purchased a 40 year old house that needs some renovations, and some of the original plumbing, HVAC, and electrical is questionable.

One of the things I have noticed is that after running hot water and shutting the tap, upon opening the hot water tap (soon after closing less than a minute) the line is cold for a few moments.

Is is possible that the cold water is displacing the hot water in the system? The problem appears to occur on single handle mixing faucets.
    JC

Originally posted by Ski John View Post
    I have recently purchased a 40 year old house that needs some renovations, and some of the original plumbing, HVAC, and electrical is questionable.

One of the things I have noticed is that after running hot water and shutting the tap, upon opening the hot water tap (soon after closing less than a minute) the line is cold for a few moments.

Is is possible that the cold water is displacing the hot water in the system? The problem appears to occur on single handle mixing faucets.

john, the problem is most likely in a single handle ''moen'' faucet cartridge. if this is a brass cart. then change it to a plastic, magniun cart. these don't cross over.

can it also be that you're in canada, ay it's cold there. try some insulation on both hot and cold pipes

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have had the same issue with Moens and 1 washing machine.
      Rick, I don't think it's the cold at least not yet. Mother nature has been very confused up here in Ontario. We have no snow yet, likely none in the near future (2 weeks) and today our high is only 1 degree colder than LA

Comment

Yah the weather up here has been very good. Who said global warming was a problem?

Comment

Wayne,

Please don't confuse our American friends, after living in the US (NJ) for 10 years I found that many of them think we live in igloos and take the dog sled to work!! I think it was 15C (59F to our American friends yesterday in Burlington, Ont).

On a serious note, thanks for the advise. I will insulate the pipes as a matter of course (actually to prevent sweating on the basement cold service in the summer more that the heat loss in the winter). With repect to the faucets I am going to replace them in my updating of the house. Any recommendations on the better quality brands (moen, pfitzer, american standard??).

JC
          JC

Comment

Working...
          X