Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't knocking you I was stating a fact. The man said he wants to upgrade his plumbing system and asked for expert advice. No one including myself can offer him expert advise without knowing the supply pressure and the demand.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I appreciate the "expert" advise...at the same time, I don't want to make this project into rocket science either. Of course with everyone's input, I am even more confused now than I was before.

Comment

Originally posted by keqwow View Post
        I appreciate the "expert" advise...at the same time, I don't want to make this project into rocket science either. Of course with everyone's input, I am even more confused now than I was before.
        It sounds like whatever you do is going to improve your pressure...just get rid of that corroded galvinized pipe.

My 2 cents: Use 3/4" supply line at point of entry of house, run it to the water heater, then 3/4 off the water heater, branching off with 1/2" to each fixture. Branch off the cold water with 1/2 as well. Try to keep the elbows to a minimum.

Hopefully, sometime down the road you can upgrade the main to 3/4" or 1".

Comment

Originally posted by keqwow View Post
          Utah,

The above quote is why I stay out of residential. Give an answer someone doesn't like, get ignored.
          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal1 View Post
            It sounds like whatever you do is going to improve your pressure...just get rid of that corroded galvinized pipe.

My 2 cents: Use 3/4" supply line at point of entry of house, run it to the water heater, then 3/4 off the water heater, branching off with 1/2" to each fixture. Branch off the cold water with 1/2 as well. Try to keep the elbows to a minimum.

Hopefully, sometime down the road you can upgrade the main to 3/4" or 1".
            at this point of the debate, i second norcal's advise. also insulate the pipes for heat loss and for noise. as norcal and others have mentioned, don't oversize the hot line. if you do, you'll have alot of wasted water and time, waiting for the remote fixtures to get hot. i don't like circulating pumps on a small system.

i guess i'm now in the mix of things.

rick.

not rocket science, but it will work fine and you'll have good results.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I guess I'm old fashion. Everyone can size this system with no fixture count, no pressure reading, no developed lenghth.

God are there gifted plumbers on this site.

Why do I bother.
              the dog

Comment

i can pee farther than you!

3. 2. 1. now let the pissing match begin!!
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                  I guess I'm old fashion. Everyone can size this system with no fixture count, no pressure reading, no developed lenghth.

God are there gifted plumbers on this site.

Why do I bother.
                  I think most of us know how to correctly size a water distribution system.

A "gifted plumber" uses experience, common sense, sanity, reality and the laws of physics to solve the problem at hand.

The problem in this scenerio is the sytem can't be sized using a conventional method do to the fact the water service is under sized and thats not going to change at this point. We just have to make the best of it.
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

The way I see it the man came to the "Ask the Plumbing Expert" section not the general plumbing forum to ask his question. I was surprised to not see a single person ask any of the normal questions. To me this is like when you are sick and decide to see the doctor instead of your bowling buddy. Then when you see the doctor he tells you to take a few aspirins without even giving you an examination. No one is suggesting you guys do not know how to size a system only that you need more information before offering a one-size fits all answer to a lay person.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      The way I see it the man came to the "Ask the Plumbing Expert" section not the general plumbing forum to ask his question. I was surprised to not see a single person ask any of the normal questions. To me this is like when you are sick and decide to see the doctor instead of your bowling buddy. Then when you see the doctor he tells you to take a few aspirins without even giving you an examination. No one is suggesting you guys do not know how to size a system only that you need more information before offering a one-size fits all answer to a lay person.

Mark
                      To each his own...

I see this more as a patient asking a doctor why he has eye pain when he pokes himself in the eye, and the doctor should say "stop poking yourself in the eye". But, people like you want to know how many fingers the patient is using, is he using his left hand or right, and what condition are his fingernails in, etc, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                        3. 2. 1. now let the pissing match begin!!
                        wow this puddle is becoming a lake rather quickly
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

trying to lighten it up a little

Since it's temporary (until a larger service can be installed), can't he just use 5/8" garden hose and some hose clamps?

Or maybe duct tape if clamps will push the price over the top.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

kekwow
                            You have two options here.
                            First is to run 3/4 mains hot and cold so that one day when the service is incressed in size you should be good.

Second option is to simply get a plumber to size your system so that when your service is incressed you will be good.

The first and second option might actually be the same. But with the second you will know for sure down the road you will have a properly operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal1 View Post
                              To each his own...

I see this more as a patient asking a doctor why he has eye pain when he pokes himself in the eye, and the doctor should say "stop poking yourself in the eye". But, people like you want to know how many fingers the patient is using, is he using his left hand or right, and what condition are his fingernails in, etc, etc...
                              Perhaps that is why I have worked as a Plumbing Expert and not so much as a Plumber for the last 18-years and counting.

Most of the cases I work on are because the plumber used his experience, common sense, sanity, reality and his understanding of the laws of physics to solve the problem at hand rather than the actual codes. Doctors practice medicine because they are allowed to. Plumbers follow codes because they are mandated to.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                Perhaps that is why I have worked as a Plumbing Expert and not so much as a Plumber for the last 18-years and counting.

Most of the cases I work on are because the plumber used his experience, common sense, sanity, reality and his understanding of the laws of physics to solve the problem at hand rather than the actual codes. Doctors practice medicine because they are allowed to. Plumbers follow codes because they are mandated to.

Mark
                                Gimme a break!

In "most of the cases" you must of had to grease your head just to get through the door!

Nobody has said abandon the code. If you use experience, common sense, sanity, reality and the laws of physics your work will meet any code, anywhere.

I am a Journeyman Plumber and have worked as a "plumbing expert" for 20+ years. I am also a Journeyman Gasfitter as well as a Journeyman Hydronic Heating designer and installer
                                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Working...
                                X