No announcement yet.

need help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • need help

    Hello to all i have come across a little problem i have been asked to handycap a kitchen. I have a general idea of it as i have done bathrooms. But the thing i have is to set a kitchen sink up what highth should it be set at. The local plumbing codes are very vage on this. Thank you for your time.

  • #2
    Here is a place to start:

    Don't know if its what you need. The ADA website gives all the rules but is short on specs that I could find.

    Practicing at practical wood working


    • #3
      thank you

      Thank you gofor i will give it a try.


      • #4
        I'm no expert... but whatever height your counters are... I'd go with that.


        • #5
          Try here:

          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!


          • #6

            While this may seem a bit crazy try calling a few of the modern nursing homes (also retirement centers) in your area. Their handy man or their administrator should be able to help or give you the name of someone to contact. Their head nurses would know if their sinks are at a good height for the people living there with special needs.
            Last edited by Woussko; 01-12-2007, 02:34 AM.


            • #7
              Hi! Drainmaster, If there are regulations, then of course, you must abide by them. However, in the abscence of regulations, or under special conditions, as nescessary to make life easier for a handycapped person, then you can use the "Danish Method" for setting the height. You measure the distance from floor level, up to the bottom of the 90' bent elbow, and that's the height you build the kitchen surfaces to.
              Even if there are regulations, in the case of customising, to suite a handicapped person, then any local authority will be understanding. This especially, when you explain that you have borrowed adapting rules from Denmark, or another country known for its extensive standards.


              • #8

                I do not know if RiR was jokeing but , I sure hope he was. The web Sites you were given should be plenty. However you could also call your local inspectors office and ask. At the San Diego office they have flyers with all the basic requirements.


                • #9
                  You need to know the requirements in your state, which can vary from the Federal ADA requirements. Your state requirements will include the Federal standards, but your state may exceed them.

                  A resource that many plumbers do not use is the local library. They should have a copy of the state building and plumbing codes. If they don't, ask the librarian to obtain a copy on loan, they can usually do this.

                  All this will take research on your part. If you are not willing to do this I would highly suggest not bidding this job.

                  Just my opinion.
                  the dog


                  • #10
                    Hej there C.d. I Really wasn't joking, The height, up to just below a persons elbow, is generally used in Denmark, when customising a kitchen. This especially if the person is confined to a wheelchair, or as mentioned in the links, has a back problem. Often, just 1cm can make a difference, and my view is that anything that can be done to avoid pain for someone is worth doing. Getting really creative is getting the sink at the right height, but so that the wheelchair user can get the wheelchair in under the work surface. I've actually made some special sinks so this could be done.
                    As said C.d. I appologise if I offended you, but what did you think I meant?