X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who made this valve?

Do you know who manufactured (or sold) this (gate?) valve? Do they have a web-site?

(Additional clues: location is Southern California. The house was built approx 1989.)

Last edited by fontanero; 02-01-2007, 12:13 AM.

Re: who made this valve?

Originally posted by fontanero View Post
    Do you know who manufactured (or sold) this (gate?) valve? Do they have a web-site?

(Additional clues: location is Southern California. The house was built approx 1989.)

Why do you need to know? Just off hand I would say it is the PE valve company (which I got off a google search). I'm just curious why you would care.
    Last edited by plumbdog10; 02-01-2007, 01:37 AM.
    the dog

Comment

If I can get a new handle, stem, etc., replacing those might be easier than replacing the whole valve. The whole thing had been buried in dirt for so long, they're almost all turned to rust.

Comment

If I can get a new handle, stem, etc., replacing those might be easier than replacing the whole valve. The whole thing had been buried in dirt for so long, they're almost all turned to rust.
        That's why I asked.

Believe me you will spend more time tracking down repair parts then you will want to.

Do your self a favor. Go to your local plumbing supply and buy:

(1) 3/4" Ball Valve (gate valves, such as you have, are junk)
        (2) 3/4" PVC male iron pipe adaptors
        (2) 3/4" PVC couplings
        A short piece of 3/4" PVC pipe
        A small can of PVC glue and primer.
        A roll of tephlon tape.

Figure it out, and replace it. If this seems over you head, call a plumber.

Don't call me, Bob D., or Rick, we'll he in Hawaii fixing a broken water line.

Good Luck.

After looking at it closer, it appears to be galvanized pipe. Sorry, disregard the above. Call a plumber.
        Last edited by plumbdog10; 02-01-2007, 02:12 AM.
        the dog

Comment

Don't call me, Bob D., or Rick, we'll be in Hawaii fixing a broken water line.

well maybe san diego at the wild animal park. it's just a weekend thing

rick.

the handle is no problem to swap. it's probably a square drive. are you trying to fix this one valve or a whole track of them?

the stem and gate assy. will be tuff. the product usually changes every so many years and getting one to fit and shut off properly is very hard.

a ball valve is the way to go, but don't bury the handle. it too will rot away. is this a sprinkler main or house main? i hope it's the sprinkler. gal. pipe is not too long life in the ground unless it was american pipe. if it's a sprinkler system, you can probably get away with pvc as long as it's buried. copper for domestic water or exposed pipe.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

No, it's just this one valve, and I don't intend to fix it right away. But the stem is so thoroughly rusted, I fear one day there's gonna be a stream of water shooting out of there. I think both the sprinkler and house-main water goes through this valve (this valve is actually inside the meter-box).

I thought the parts may fit if I can find the same model valve (if they're still making the same model).

You mentioned copper pipe. When the time comes, possibly I'll switch it over to copper, if copper is kosher to use here.

BTW, are lawn sprinkler-contractors required to file layout-diagrams with the building-dept. or who-ever? or are sprinkler-pipe locations deep, dark secrets?
            Last edited by fontanero; 02-01-2007, 02:56 AM.

Comment

No, it's just this one valve, and I don't intend to fix it right away. But the stem is so thoroughly rusted, I fear one day there's gonna be a stream of water shooting out of there. I think both the sprinkler and house-main water goes through this valve (this valve is actually inside the meter-box). since it's inside the meter box, i would believe it controlls all the water to the house and sprinklers.

I thought the parts may fit if I can find the same model valve (if they're still making the same model). doesn't pay at this point. wait till it's time to replace the main.

You mentioned copper pipe. When the time comes, possibly I'll switch it over to copper, if copper is kosher to use here.where is here?

BTW, are lawn sprinkler-contractors required to file layout-diagrams with the building-dept. or who-ever? or are sprinkler-pipe locations deep, dark secrets?
              no, the only thing that is inspected with lawn sprinklers are the backflow preventers and sometimes the time clock.

are you allowed to shut the water off on the city side of the meter? if you can, then just buy a meter key for your own use. don't waste time and energy on this old valve. a new water service will eventually take care of all your problems.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

If it's kosher to use copper-pipe coming off the water-meter, that's an option I'll keep in mind. For me it'd be easier to use copper than steel.

Comment

Working...
                X