Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to cut concrete indoors?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to cut concrete indoors?

Hey guys, a contractor friend of mine wants me to help him out on a commercial job. It's a job I normally would turn down, but since he's my friend...

I specialize in small plumbing jobs so I don't do this kind of work. On occasion I have rented a large concrete saw lubricated by water to cut thru a concrete driveway...messy, loud and very wet.

So my question is what is the best way to cut a concrete slab in a commercial building with other tenants on the other side of a wall. Seems like there would be a tremendous amount of water all over the place if I did what I've done on a driveway.

Job: Need to add 12 feet of 4" drain line for a new toilet and sink.

Thanks fellas.

Re: What's the best way to cut concrete indoors?

norcal, a wet saw is always the prefered method. indoors an electric, air or hydraulic saw is prefered. the slab is most likely 4'' thick?

a skil saw with a diamond blade will cut approx. 2.5'' deep with a 7'' blade. only enough water to cool the blade and wash the cut of slurry is needed. i usually have good luck with a spray bottle on a 7'' saw. my 14'' electric saw can get by with a portable pump up sprayer. not too much mess. the 14'' will cut 5'' thick.

make sure there is no electrical or post tension cable in the slab

a professional saw cutting co. will charge under $300. for this type of cut.

let the friend pay for it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, I think I'm gonna let my friend have some of his laborers do it or have him hire a company to do the work.

Comment

Keep an old shop vac handy that's setup for wet pickup, but with a filter in place to keep junk out of the fans. You will also want one setup for fine dust once you clean up the mud. With any sawing, you'll have some fine dust to clean up. Remember your protective gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal1 View Post
          Hey guys, a contractor friend of mine wants me to help him out on a commercial job. It's a job I normally would turn down, but since he's my friend...

I specialize in small plumbing jobs so I don't do this kind of work. On occasion I have rented a large concrete saw lubricated by water to cut thru a concrete driveway...messy, loud and very wet.

So my question is what is the best way to cut a concrete slab in a commercial building with other tenants on the other side of a wall. Seems like there would be a tremendous amount of water all over the place if I did what I've done on a driveway.

Job: Need to add 12 feet of 4" drain line for a new toilet and sink.

Thanks fellas.
          Get a price from a demo contractor for sawing, removing, and hauling the concrete. Add it to the bid.

I've seen a number of residential contractors lose their *** on these concrete removal projects because they try to keep the price low. The price is what it is.
          the dog

Comment

Working...
          X