Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I mix concrete for the shower floor?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I mix concrete for the shower floor?

Ok, I'm just about ready to pour the concrete for the shower floor pre-slope.

I've found advice on what to use. Put down the steel mesh, use concrete with a bit of flex additive since it will be pretty thin around the drain, mark the lines from the drain... smooth with floaters... etc.

My question now is... how so I actually mix the concrete in the bathroom? It's not like I can bring a wheel barrow up the stairs to the master bedroom.

Just looking for tips. Should I find a great big bucket? Lay some plastic down in the bath tub? Just mix it right in the shower and spread it around?

Seems to me that the bucket is the best plan... but I figure you guys will know best.

Re: How do I mix concrete for the shower floor?

Most DIY centers will sell a plastic mixing tray for mixing small amounts of mortar or concrete. They are about 2'X3'x8" deep.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

a bent 1/2 or 7/16" rod "L" shaped, and a good 1/2" drill will mix it in a bucket, they may even make a mixer for the bucket, about a 3" bend on the end,

I think the drywall mixer is to big to mix the aggregate with, (my son in law gets a 7/16" electric steel rod fence post with the triangular support plate about 10" from the end, and cuts off the bottom of the steel rod post leaving the triangular support on the post and chucks that in the drill and uses a bucket, the triangular, shape is about 4" across), he has mixed a lot of small batches with that as a mixer.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

5 gal pail is what I have used with a large mix rod on a drill. Pretty sure you just want to use a sand mix because a regular stone mix will drive you nuts trying to smooth it where it is thin around the drain.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't make a smooth finish. That's a fast ride to Brokenbonesville. Leave the surface a little rough.

Al
          America:
          The land of the free
          Because of the brave

Comment

Working...
          X