sump pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump

I am new to the forum and ridgid. I have a question about a house I own. There is a hill behind the house. The temperature right now is about 14F. I have ran the pump for about 10 days at freezing temperatures and there is still water flowing into the basement through the channel that was dug out. Any suggestions would be helpful as I am unable to find anyone locally who knows anything about it. Thanks.
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Re: sump pump

I'm sorry the water runs off the hill and in to your basement? Do you just have a dirt floor with a channel dug in it and the water will run into it? From there you pump it to the outside where the water will run away from the house?
    Tyler

Comment

If you have a well water system check to make sure the well pump isn't running.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
        I am new to the forum and ridgid. I have a question about a house I own. There is a hill behind the house. The temperature right now is about 14F. I have ran the pump for about 10 days at freezing temperatures and there is still water flowing into the basement through the channel that was dug out. Any suggestions would be helpful as I am unable to find anyone locally who knows anything about it. Thanks.
        You've left too much information out to help you much. What is the source of the water? When you say channel, what is the channel and what is its purpose? Could the water be ground water which is rising?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the response. The house has a concrete basement. Maybe I am using the wrong terminology about a channel. There is about a 2 inch wide cut into the concrete that runs from underneath the bottom part of the concrete foundation and into a hole into the floor. This is where I have the sump pump sitting. When I look into the hole it only looks about 6 inches deep. Could all the water be underneath the house? And if so shouldn't it be frozen by now? Also, the house is vacant and I never notice flooding when it was occupied. Thanks for your help everyone. Also I have the pump, pumping out throught the walk-out of the basement but it constantly runs 24/7 because of the water. Regarding Marks question, I guess it makes sense if water is rising, but it don't know much about how that happens or why. Also it not lake front, the back yard is hill. Thanks for your help everyone.
          Tony
          Last edited by onlycordless; 02-07-2007, 12:29 AM. Reason: forgot to answer all questions

Comment

You might have a spring under your house or some other source of underground water. If you were to dig (not easy) through the frozen ground, you'll find that several feet below the surface it's not frozen. Before you'll solve the problem, you'll have to find the source. A friend of mine had to have a special contracting company dig under (like a mine) his house. They ended up having to setup special sumps and pumps under the basement. I sure hope you don't end up with such a mess. There were 2 springs they had to deal with!!! Is this a new problem that just started to happen? When the pump is running are you sure it does discharge outside and well away from the house? Sometimes discharge lines freeze up.

Comment

The water floods in the basement only about a couple times a year and I only notice it when the house is vacant(maybe just has never happened when occupied). The pump discharges the water, but not that far away from the house. The water runs down the hill and away from the house though.
              I sure hope I do not have the same problem as your friend had. I spoke to a neighbor who lived up above my house. She said there is a spring up there. I do not see any visible water on the surface. I guess there may be water running underneath the house, but I haven't heard of my neighbors say anything about flooding. I don't know much about this but is it possible the street is filled up with water and filling up peoples basements?

Comment

When your basement floods is it in the spring? Your probably getting run off from the hill and its going into your sump through your weeping tile and then pumped back outside. The only way I have heard of fixing this is building a retaing wall on the hill side of your house to redirct water away from the house.(you don't have to see water on the surface for this to happen.)
                Tyler
                Last edited by Tyler S; 02-07-2007, 02:01 PM.

Comment

onlycordless

Is this problem happening right now? Are you out in the country or in a city area? One thing you might do (be sure there aren't cables or pipes near this area) would be to drill (Get a pro) some holes in your yard several feet down and then look for water in them during times when there hasn't been any rain for some time. Until you find the source, you're pretty much stuck. Does your sump pump really run non-stop for days at a time?

Comment

Yes, the pump is running right now and has been running for about 14 straight days now. I check on the house daily. It is considered city but across the street is owned by the DEC. The land across the street is non-developable and environmentally protected. I never thought of this until you mentioned water under the house but maybe the small creek across the street is flowing under the house. Although why is it just my house? Also, the creek across the street is about 30 feet below where my house sits. Thanks for the insight on digging. Assuming someone would have to dig deep, do you have any suggestions on who to contact for a job like this?
                    Last edited by onlycordless; 02-07-2007, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't dig holes for just now. I would try to find a landscaper that has an auger drill with extensions. Again, be sure there isn't anything like pipes or cables near where they are trying to drill. Call "Miss Utility" or such first and have everything well marked by all of your utility companies.

Now some more about underground water. Let's say you were in an area without any city water system. You have a well drilled. The water that fills up that well may come from miles away. Under ground there are many veins that carry water. Some are tiny and some large. The idea of drilling some holes is to find out if you have water that's under pressure under your foundation. Another idea (I kind of hate this one) would be to have anyone with a roto-hammer drill a few small holes through your basement floor. If water comes out of a hole, you know there is water under pressure, like from an underground spring near or under your house. I sure hope you don't end up with a real mess. (STOP The idea of holes in the floor is only if you can't find the problem outside first.) My neighbor with this problem is several houses down hill from me. The house below doesn't seem to have problems!! It's wild, but they ended up having to dig under their house and have a special drainage system with several pumps installed. These neighbors are kind of hard to get along with so we didn't talk much. You may just have a problem with water that runs down the hill near you. Do you have any pictures that would kind of show the landscape where your house is? If there is a hill anywhere near you and your place is downhill, when it rains water will run down the hill, build up some pressure, work into the ground and may be coming into your basement. This can happen all year. If your sump pump is running all the time, you have a real problem that needs to be dealt with. You might try calling up your county storm water management depatrment, or the DPW for your town. I have a feeling that before you do too much on your own, that you would do well to discuss this with a storm water management (sewer system) engineer and have him/her come out and see the place. You might have to have pros do some digging out around your foundation and figure out a good drainage system. Needless to say this involves permits. Good luck with this.

Do you have any idea of where the water enters your basement? I think that's the first thing you must find out. If you can find that place, then you can work outside and try to 1. get rid of the water and 2. block it up
                      Last edited by Woussko; 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks, lots of good solid information from everyone and much appreciated! Tyler- I thought about a retaining wall or redirecting the water, but I hesitated because the water is not on the surface and the cost involved. Woussko- The water is only coming in from where the channel was dug in the back of the house and into the basement about 5 feet(where the pump sits). So I know it is underground because of the trench(or channel) that was put in, not by me but was there when I purchased the house. Maybe I will call DPW and if I can't get anywhere easy then maybe block that channel that was dug into the concrete!

Comment

Maybe try a little dam wall and then figure a way to run the water downhill from your place to a storm sewer. You want to catch it on the source side of the dam and get rid of as much water as you can. Without good pictures it's too hard to tell what things are like.

Comment

I will try to get some pictures as it is a little difficult to visualize. Thanks

Comment

Amongst other things I am the president of a water company which is all gravity feed from springs. Guess where we look when we are looking for new sources of water? Yeah you guessed it it is at the base of hills.

It is quite possible what you are dealing with is ground water rising. If so the question is how much water you are dealing with and what it is worth for you to de-water your basement. For instance you could dig a 20' deep sump and start pumping the water down to that level. However, if you are dealing with a large aquifer you will be pumping water until the ground water drops again. You may want to consider having a professional come in and evaluate what you are dealing with.

It is not unusual for buildings to be built in conditions like this and they are fine as long as the de-water system was correctly designed and operating properly. Your house may in fact be performing exactly as designed.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X