Model 460

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 460

I was curious if anyone can give me a detailed description of what the jack screw is used for on the Model 450/460. I have asked many people that use this device more often than I do and they do not know either. Thanks.

Re: Model 460

the jack screw is used to secure the vice to the ceiling with a piece of 1'' pipe cut to the proper length and then tightened with the jack screw.

i can't remember the last time i used one on my vices. even on my core drill stand.

probably why no one knows what they are used for.

rick.

welcome to the ridgid forum.
    phoebe it is

Comment

im more of an 'anchor it to the floor' type of guy anyways
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Thanks for the reply. As we were got to talking about it in the shop, that was suggested, to some degree, but none of us knew for sure. Seems unlikely to use in an industrial application where the ceilings are 20' or higher. Appreciate your answer.

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          a piece of 1'' pipe cut to the proper length and then tightened with the jack screw.

^
          |
          |
          ---- Accidentally cut up said proper length pipe in Test Lab when a noob here for thread testing...
          Last edited by smorris; 02-09-2007, 11:41 AM.
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
            ^
            |
            |
            ---- Accidentally cut up said proper length pipe in Test Lab when a noob here for thread testing...
            smorris, ha

now i'm confused

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

It really has little utility in todays' use of the tool.

Back when screw pipe (cut with hand threaders) was the norm you would need to anchor the vise down every time you moved it from room to room. The jack screw provided a way to accomplish this w/o damaging any finish surfaces in the building. A 2x4 of the required length long could be used to span openings or joists and to protect finish ceilings above for a solid anchor point.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

smorris, ha

now i'm confused

rick.
                When I first started working here, I was doing a bunch of test cuts on 1" pipe in our test lab. I ran out of the 1" pipe I had handy, and was headed back to the pipe storage area to get anotherr stick of 1". But before I left the lab, I saw a nice long piece of 1" propped up in the corner. For some reason it had white stripes painted on it, but I used it anyway, as it saved me a trip to the storage area.

Only later (months) did I find that it was painted like that so no one would use it. It was cut just the right length to use as a ceiling jack in the Lab with the 460 Tristand. 20+ years later, and I still get kidded about it on occasion.
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

i'm no longer confused

did you have to make a new test pipe?

5 years ago my girlfriend, now wife mrs. seat down, joey, was impressed by watching me thread pipe on my 1210 oiless threader. at the end of the job, i had a 9'' piece of 1'' green fletcher coat pipe left over as scrap. she wanted to play and i let her thread this piece. i put it in my truck as a scrap piece.

less than a week later i actually needed and used this piece for a job. it was the exact size and material that was required. i had to replace a leaking 1'' gas pipe that went from under the house, through the brick facade and into the main. the old pipe had rotted going through the brick. i cut out the leaking piece and measured the length. it was exactly 9" and i used the piece that mrs.seat down made less than a week ago

i was excited to tell her that i installed that piece. now she plays with all my tools

she is the best "pipe puller" out there.

rick.

p.s. the pipe puller is a trenchless hydraulic pipe bursting machine
                  phoebe it is

Comment

i'm no longer confused

did you have to make a new test pipe?
                    No. That was 20 plus years ago, and I've never seen a Tristand set up in the Lab with a ceiling jack since.

It is good to have a pipe puller that is good at it! You're a lucky guy.
                    Steve
                    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
                    X