X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam boiler (and asbestos)

[First .. for those that read my other post on cast iron .. on this one, I'm definately paying somebody .. I know my limits]

Old house (a different one that I also own) with a Steam (Crane Mfg) boiler. Built around 1940 and is 500k BTU (and horribly inefficient). Much of the insulation (on the connecting pipes) is corregated (friable) asbestos, but is in good condition.

I know enough about asbestos to not fool with it .. undisturbed it's fairly harmless.

I've found several different makes of recirculating boilers .. some that are highly efficient .. but not any steam ones. Do they even still make these?

Second question: will a plumber/pipefitter even come touch the thing given the asbestos issue? .. will I have to get that removed or otherwise abated first? (this actually isn't a code issue in the city in question .. more of a policy issue with the plumber/pipefitter).
    Last edited by mindcandy30; 02-12-2007, 01:20 AM.

Re: Steam boiler (and asbestos)

If you say you know enough about asbestos not to touch it Why would you want a plumber to come in and touch it? Do you think your life is more important than the plumbers?

Comment

No plumber in his right mind will remove it. You'll have to get a hazardous substance remover to come in first. Then you may have to have air quality tests run. It's a mess and some big $$$ but when you have health safety issues you got to do what's right. You might check Commercial Boiler Repair places as they have to deal with this all the time. Forgot the HVAC and plumbers for now. Try the guys that work on big commercial boilers. They know who to contact for the removal problems.

Comment

Some Plumbing/HVAC Contractors are Asbestos Abatement Contractors as well. The certification is just not that hard to get. It will cost you a little extra for the job but they pay a lot more for their insurance.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mindcandy,

Since you are an expert mechanic, plumber, and electrician, all learned from the internet, I'm suprised you have'nt mastered aspestos abatement. Well I'm sure it's just a case of the suppliers being against you. For a man of your talents I'm suprised you keep asking advice from us dumb-*** plumbers.

By the way, mindcandy, what is your occupation? With all your ability and knowledge, I may have some questions for you someday.
          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            Mindcandy,

Since you are an expert mechanic, plumber, and electrician, all learned from the internet, I'm suprised you have'nt mastered aspestos abatement. Well I'm sure it's just a case of the suppliers being against you. For a man of your talents I'm suprised you keep asking advice from us dumb-*** plumbers.

By the way, mindcandy, what is your occupation? With all your ability and knowledge, I may have some questions for you someday.
            based on his bio, he is a "computer geek"

mindcandy, how do i get a spell checker for this forum. i figured out my avitar over the weekend. how do you like my vans shoes

can't help you with asbestos. it's usually don't touch, no problems

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
              I prototype ASICs for the telecommunications industry. ASICs are custom-built integrated circuits .. like the processor in your computer, just lots faster at one specific thing.

As for the spell-checker question, this forum uses vBulletin, so they just need to add the plug-in vB::Spell. See here :
              http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...threadid=91850

Comment

thank's mindcandy

i went to that link

i'll stick with plumbing and a few typos

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i went to that link
                  Actually, it's something that Ridge's admin folks would have to implement.

Try downloading and using Mozilla Firefox:
                  http://www.mozilla.org/frefox

The new version has a built-in spell-checker .. and it's much more secure than Internet Exploder.

Comment

I've posted this a couple times in the past, can't hurt one more time

Get ieSpell

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

ieSpell is not spyware or adware. It's free for personal use only. All other use requires a commercial license.

Features
                    • Completely standalone spell checker for your web browser. Does not require Microsoft Office or any other third party components.
                    • Integrates flawlessly with Internet Explorer and other IE based browsers.
                    • Three ways to start the spell check; via the right click context menu, the toolbar or the menu bar.
                    • Supports a wide range of web applications including simple text forms, rich text editors, forums, blogs, webmail (including Outlook Web Access and Lotus iNotes) and more!
                    • Spell check in any of the 3 variants (US, UK and Canadian) of the English Language!
                    • Suggestions are sorted by the degree of closeness with the misspelled word.
                    • Intelligent suggesting for misspelled words using typographic “looks like” matching.
                    • Easily add/remove your personal words in ieSpell via an intuitive user interface!
                    • Organise your personal words in individual custom dictionaries! Share them with your friends and co-workers over the network!
                    • Integrates with Microsoft Office's proofing tools. Have ieSpell share the same copy of the custom dictionary so that when you add/remove your personal words in ieSpell, the same is reflected in Microsoft Office and vice versa!
                    • ieSpell suggested a word that you are not familiar with? Look up its meaning in an online dictionary!
                    • Powerful API for web application developers.
                      • Force users to spell check the document before submission.
                      • Ignore certain text fields.
                      • Refuse a form submission if the user cancels the spell check!
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

bob d this is a dum question what are seabees? and how can you get more?

fastplumber out.

Comment

Originally posted by fastplumber View Post

fastplumber out.
                        The SeaBees are one of my favorite braches of the military. They are the Navy's Civil Engineers and build much of what is built during conflicts. If I ever need a landing strip built in a war zone I want the SeaBees there.

Mark

PS: Bob thanks for your service.
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by fastplumber View Post

fastplumber out.
                          Probably the easiest way to get one more is for you to join

Click on the icon in my signature to find out about the 'Bees.

The name SeaBee comes from the letters CB which stand for Construction Battalion. They were formed during WWII. The Duke made a film long ago about them, watch the cable movie channels like TCM or AMC for "The Fighting SeaBees" which dramatizes the story a bit for sure but it based for the most part in truth. Most of them Bees came from the trades who were working for the Navy under contract and were being attacked and killed by enemy troops.

There were (and as far as I know still are) seven specialities;

BU - Builder
                          CE - Construction Electrician
                          CM - Construction Mechanic
                          EA - Engineering Aide
                          EO - Equipment Operator
                          SW - Steelworker
                          UT - Utilitiesman

ALL Bees are enlisted (E1 thru E9), the O's (officers) are from the Navy's CEC (Civil Engineering Corps).

I believe their numbers peaked around 250,000 during WWII, today there are probably about 50,000 active and reserve Bees.

The Song of the Seabees (1943)

If any of you have ever thought about joining the reserves or active military (I realize that's NOT a popular choice now-a-days), ask about the SeaBees and if you work in the construction trades ask about the APG program.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            Probably the easiest way to get one more is for you to join

Click on the icon in my signature to find out about the 'Bees.

The name SeaBee comes from the letters CB which stand for Construction Battalion. They were formed during WWII. The Duke made a film long ago about them, watch the cable movie channels like TCM or AMC for "The Fighting SeaBees" which dramatizes the story a bit for sure but it based for the most part in truth. Most of them Bees came from the trades who were working for the Navy under contract and were being attacked and killed by enemy troops.

There were (and as far as I know still are) seven specialities;

BU - Builder
                            CE - Construction Electrician
                            CM - Construction Mechanic
                            EA - Engineering Aide
                            EO - Equipment Operator
                            SW - Steelworker
                            UT - Utilitiesman

ALL Bees are enlisted (E1 thru E9), the O's (officers) are from the Navy's CEC (Civil Engineering Corps).

I believe their numbers peaked around 250,000 during WWII, today there are probably about 50,000 active and reserve Bees.

The Song of the Seabees (1943)

If any of you have ever thought about joining the reserves or active military (I realize that's NOT a popular choice now-a-days), ask about the SeaBees and if you work in the construction trades ask about the APG program.

Bob,
                            I've worked among a number of military trained young men, and I can say from experience, that former seebees are easily the best trained. I have also worked for or under two former seebees, both were very knowlegable.
                            the dog

Comment

Bob,
                              One of my few very good freinds is a Seabee.He is one of the few general
                              contractors I know who does everytrade in house.The guy's not antimidated
                              by anything,his plumbing install I would put above at least 65% of the local
                              plumbing contractors.He is a Man who takes very serious pride in his work.
                              Sometimes we kid with him and refer to his company as "O.K. Construction",
                              over-kill.If it wasn't for your bees I dont think he would be the same man.I to
                              as Dog thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X