Rotating water joints for copper sculpture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating water joints for copper sculpture

hi - I'm planning a water sculpture for my garden and can't find any suppliers of the rotating copper joints that also carry water..you see them on moving scuptures for sale in some garden stores, but does anyone know who supplies the joints themselves? Or are they something I'll need to make?

thanks for any expert advice,

Jon

Re: Rotating water joints for copper sculpture

do the fittings need to stay in a set position or do they spin like a sprinkler?

what size tubing are you going to use?

do you want brass or plastic fittings?

do you want to use a tool to adjust or just spin by hand?

i know of a few fittings, but i need to get an idea of your project.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

hi rick - if i think of the joint as a coupling, that can spin, one side would spin relative to the other, from the force of the water exiting the tubing that's attached to it. kind of like a sprinkler, yes, where the top spins 360 deg..

probably 1/2 inch copper tubing....brass fittings (if not copper).

I'm not sure about the tool part of the question. it would spin because one side of the joint is attached to, say, some pipe that's fixed in position , connected to the ground. the other side would spin because it's connected to tubing that's shaped to direct the exiting water so that the sculpture spins. same principle as a pinwheel, but slower speed.

thanks, Jon

Comment

the swivel joints that i work with are made for high pressure, like on a reel for my jetter. 3000 psi. too bulky and too much $$.

a joint that you can swivel is very inexpensive, only a couple of bucks.

since the joint that you're working with is low pressure and doesn't need to be 100% water tight, you can probably get by with a bronze bushing type of seal.

try looking or calling "mc master carr" they are like graingers, but much bigger.

also take a good look at the plastic body rainbirds. the whole sprinkler is only a couple of bucks and it's a 1/2'' male thread. maybe you can get an idea or strip it out.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You might try this company based in South Western PA. They are into all kinds of watering devices for use with a garden hose and do sprayers too. I bet they may be able to sell you what you need, or direct you to a dealer for such.

http://www.gilmour.com/

Comment

thanks, all. jon

Comment

Working...
            X