X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Bathroom

Hello all, Im new to Ridgedforum.com and have a few questions about plumbing .

I have made up a crude diagram of my basment. My questions are:

1. Would this be a good place to put a bathroom?
    2. How would I go about venting?
    3. Could I tie in all 3 new bathroom pipes to the main?

My main question is: I want to do all the concrete jackhammering and removal, Since this is the majority of the cost to have a contractor come in to do it. So in this diagram where would the best place to put a bathroom in?

Basement layout

Re: Basement Bathroom

thank's for giving this forum a shot.You made an excelent choice.I too am new here.I should tell you the most important thing is to get the most info to the experts here as as possible.First and foremost,a picture is worth a thousand words, is there any way you can get some photos over here.Second and just as important, these guys aren't going to want to see you installing a system that doesn't function properly.So they are going to be wanting to go through this with you with a fine tooth comb in one hand and a code book in the other.There are some pretty good plumbers here who know your particular codes.
    Good-luck

Comment

Chris,

Many of us on this site are working under the International Plumbing Code or the Uniform Plumbing Code while you would be under the Canadian National Plumbing Code. While they all have similar requirements they are three different Codes and as such the requirements are not always the same.

1. The location of the bathroom looks fine depending on the conditions you are working with. A dimensional drawing would give us a better idea as to whether you are allowing enough room and what fall would be required.

2. Depending on the framing above the bathroom you could take the new vent through an existing wall. You could also try to connect to the kitchen vent above the flood rim of the kitchen sink depending on how much damage you're willing to do to your kitchen. Another option which may be available to you depending on your jurisdiction would be air admittance valves.

3. Assuming you have the proper elevation to get your grade the addition of the three fixtures should be fine.

Important things to know would be the exact layout of your bathroom and the exact depth of your main drain line where you want to tie in. One way to get an idea of how deep your drain is would be to remove your cleanout cap/plug and measure how deep the invert of the pipe at the cleanout is.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Basement Bathroom

Well you can use a air admitence valve(cheater valve). The new national plumbing code comes in to affect in september, and it says you can use one as long as it csa approved. I would run your water closet right where you have it drawn.( with a max trap arm of 3m horizotal)off your water closet trap arm use a 3 by 2 (wye and maybe a 45 if needed) to go to your shower and a off your shower trap arm use a 2 by 2 wye (and maybe a 45 if needed).go to your lav. Off your lav trap arm use a 2 by 2 tee wye and go verticaly about 3 feet and use cheater vent. All should be graded at 1/4 in per foot and don't exceed one pipe dia fall. Kinda short sweet but I hope it helps.
        Tyler

Comment

Chris73

Please note, legally this work requires a permit and inspection. Do yourself a favor and find a licensed and insured plumber to do the work for you. Most should be willing to let you do the "grunt work" to save you some $$.

Tyler S

Although the 2005 NPC does allow the use of a AAV, there use is very restricted. In this situation the use of an AAV would be unacceptable. Typically a AAV is only acceptable as an alternative to an island vent.
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Yes the 2005 nps code does alow you to use a AAV in this situation if you would read section 2.5.9.2 c and d where it clearly states that "fixtures in one and two family dwellings undergoing renovation,or installations where connection to a vent may not be practical." So in this situation it seems just fine to put one in.
            Tyler

Comment

http://www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.c...2-aav-rev1.pdf
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks Utah

Comment

I am aware of the code variance and the subsequent language, thanks The problem is, inspectors hate AAV and if there is any possible way to use a conventional vent (theres almost always a way) they will call you on it. Ask me how I know. "where the installation of conventional vent systems is not practical or readily accessible and where acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction"
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

well boys
                    chris 73 lives in my jurisdiction where a cheater vent is not permitted under any circumstance other than a R.V. which they were designed for.

Comment

Chris 73
                      If your home was built after 1973 then by code there should be a vent stubbed down into the basement for future connection. And if so your venting shouldn't be much of a problem. Look for a capped of pipe coming into your basement from above (look around the existing plumbing) If you find one take some pictures so we can tell you if it is a vent or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X