Toilet on tile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet on tile

I have replaced two tolets on tile,on both toilets I am getting a seapage of clear water. I used TWO wax rings and still get the seapage. I checked one of them(toilets) and found that I can move the entire toilet. What is the torque on the hold down bolts. I am a big guy and DONOT WANT TO CRACK THE BASE What do I do???? Thanks

Re: Toilet on tile

I have nothing useful to say. I just wanted to mention that I've got a toilet on tile and the tiles are cracked under it. Stupid tile...

Comment

Have installed two on tile with no problems. Got rubber from hardware store cut and inserted two pieces in the back and two in front, then tighten bolts. Leave for a few days to make sure of no leaks and then caulk.

Comment

you have to be carefull on tile. If the floor is perfectly level you can tighten the toilet to the point where it doesn't move. But if the floor is not level and you do not use shimes you will crack it. Like terry d said, rubber(or any material that won't rot and can be compressed.) is a very good material for a shime. Wood also performes well if you only want it to last a few years lol. I have even heard of the old timers saying they used to use lead sheating with good results but we know better know.

Comment

I use these...most hardware stores have them http://www.wobblewedge.com/what/
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

since your toilet is leaking, you need to address the leak.

are these new toilets on an exisiting tile floor? a new floor? or just a new leak?

typically 2 wax rings are acceptical. but by rights, the flange needs to be at the level of the finish/ tile floor. actually the underside of the flange needs to be sitting on the finish/ tile floor. it also has to be properly bolted down to the subfloor with non corroding/ brass bolts.

you need to address the leak and the flange. sure a rocking toilet will eventually leak. but it will only leak if there is a missalingment or stoppage. a toilets horn can actually funnel itself into the closet flange without wax and not leak unless out of alingment or a stoppage

kind of like a waiter pouring a pitcher of water into a glass. if he misses or the glass is full, it will leak.

the 2 wax rings also need to be properly stacked and need to be compressed to the point of a good seal. i will take a deep seal ring, one with a plastic horn and install a regular wax seal without the horn under the plastic horn. this will basically make the 2 wax seals 1 and will automatically align themselves. if the level of the flange is more than 1 wax below the finish floor, the second wax will not be thick enough. harveys makes a #10 for 3''& 4'' flanges and a #50 for 4'' only that are extra thick. approx. 50% thicker.

there is no flex or give on a tile floor, so you need to hand tighten and shim to eliminate the rocking. then just a little bit beyond to tighten. the shims will keep you level and prevent rocking. the caulking will fill the void and stabilize the toilet whan dried. the caulking is actually there for health reasons, but an added bonus is the bonding properties.

do not caulk the toilet to the floor until the whole toilet is properly tested for leaks and its properly alinged. do not use the caulking as a way to get around a leak.

now with all this said i would raise the closet flange to the proper level as i mentioned at the beginning of my soap box

rick.

ps. i've only installed 10-15 thousand toilets in my new construction and service career since 1975. not bragging, just telling you the facts. the slowest part of installing a new toilet, is humping it up the stairs
            phoebe it is

Comment

Only because it has not been said yet, make sure you verify where your leak is coming from. Is it possibly you have a leak at your supply line or your tank to bowl gasket?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thank You Gentlemen. I will print out every reply,take them all to heart,and try again!!! As the toillets are new, I guess I have no other choice. Thanks again.

Comment

They got it right about fix the leak first, wrong about rubber shims. They will compress under heavy weight and the commode will still move, creating a problem again. the proper fix is to pack plaster of paris or sanded grout (depending on the size of the gap) around the base of the commode. This will set and make a rigid base. Mix it stiff and pack it full and tight. Pack it with a drywall taping knife.

Comment

thats a good way to level out a floor i suppose, but i wouldnt say using hard plastic shims is wrong
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Wedges work great while waiting for caulk or grout to set up.

Comment

Working...
                      X