X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice maker

Hi,,yes I am a woman but not your average one,,i can do a few simple house hold mending chores. Anyway i have an icemaker that i want to hook up,,there was one here previously and the guy cut the copper tubing when we took out old fridge,,so i have the tubing already run,,i had to cut the pipe so i could put new fitting on,,got it all hooked up and it is leaking at connection...i did not use a flaring tool for the simple reason did not know for sure what it is or does,,can you help me out a little,,i have just conntected copper tubing to plastic tubing using hardware ,,nut bolts,,ect from lowes,,went together good but the threaded bolt on the copper tubing side seems to just go round and round wont tighten up...thanks for any help!!

Re: Ice maker

I assume that you are trying to connect 1/4" copper line to plastic line
    If so you need to use the proper compression coupling which has sleeves that you must slide over the lines to make a water tight fitting...

Comment

the easiest fitting that a homeowner can use on a transition from copper to palstic is a fitting called a "jon guess" coupling or union. just cut the tubing clean and slide the 2 ends together.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I am using the little union deal,,and it just keeps turning around,,wont stay in place and yes i am attaching to plastic tubing

Comment

Your little union deal,is it a compression union,or the flare.

The people here can get you through this,is there a reason why the jon guess isnt working,they work really well.

If for some reason this is not an option.Again,what pipe size are you working with.

Is this for a regular home freezer with ice maker,or for a large commercial ice machine.
          Last edited by drtyhands; 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

if you can take a photo of it it will help to
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Ok guys,,you could call me a dumb blonde except Im a red head,,but I think I finally got it,,I had the right parts but just didnt have it tightened enough. I came back and read your post and was going to take pics for you when I decided I was gonna try it again, wasnt gonna let it get me. So it is hooked up now and if there is any water coming out I dont see it,,but it may still need a little more tightening as it kinda looks as if it may be seeping out a small bit but I will let you know tomorrow,,I have a bucket under it just in case....Now can ya tell me how to turn up my hot water heater????,,,,Thanks a bunch and I will be back.

Comment

Turn the knob to hotter, keep in mind your not recomended to go over 140deg F. There is a way to go over the manufactures settings.But not a very good idea leave that for the pros.
                Tyler

Comment

Make sure it's not a flare nut to a compression fitting. Most icemakers use a 1/4" compression fitting. What size pipe do you have sticking out of the floor or wall, and where is the shutoff valve?

Comment

Well try search in the internet and find some site that can help with your problem about ice maker or try to get information in ice industry maybe you can pick some tips or idea to solve your problem in your ice maker stuff...

Comment

at the risk of trying to be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqwfoLHkVk

Comment

Those self piercing vavles are garbage!!! Talk about elecrolysis!! I have yet to see one installed that isnt rusted beyond recognition after a year!! Cut in a tee, then a 1/8" comp. angle stop and do the job right!! Id rather use a sharkbite than a self piercing valve talk about liability!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler S View Post
                          Turn the knob to hotter, keep in mind your not recomended to go over 140deg F. There is a way to go over the manufactures settings.But not a very good idea leave that for the pros.
                          Tyler
                          I had to go back to a install the customer said he had the heater at 140 degrees but the water was not hot enough. I put a thermometer under the faucet and it was 140 degrees. First I asked if he had diabetes that was a no. Good cuz I can't fix that. Then I taught him to turn the hot water on all the way to let it get hot before setting the temperature with the cold.

Comment

I agree about the self piercing valve. I attempted to shut my down because the water line in the fridge door froze up. When I closed the valve it would not seal and leaked continuosly. Garbage is right!

Comment

Originally posted by kickers View Post
                              Hi,,yes I am a woman but not your average one,,i can do a few simple house hold mending chores.
                              The first plumber that I worked with when I was a helper was a woman.

They told me I'd be working with "Joe", so I thought I heard them say. When Joe got to the shop, I learned it was Jill.

Not scared to get dirty, the only problem she had was lack of upper body strength. She was cool though. I watched her one time reach into a dirty toilet, something I've never done.

I hate 1/4 inch soft copper, most common pipe fittings for leaking, for me.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                              X