Deep Well Hand pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Well Hand pump

I am installing the pump and all the plumbing and I am unsure of what type of clamps to use so I don't loose anything in the well.

Re: Deep Well Hand pump

Just a guess. All stainless steel pipe clamps(make sure the screw is stainless too many aren't) two per adapter.

To answer the question accurately I'd need far more info.

Hand pump? Like a pitcher pump? Powered pump? What HP?
    Deep well? Depth?
    Type of drop pipe? metal? poly? pvc? Diameter?
    Pitless? well pit?

Comment

The pump rod & galvanized pipe come in 21 ft. lengths so we have 7 lengths or 147 ft.

1 only Monitor 11HD Hand Pump, Like a pitcher pump c/w
      Ø 1-1/4” x 1” Galv. Bushing
      Ø 147 ft. of 1” Galv. Pipe – threaded & coupled
      Ø 147 ft. of 7/16” Galv. Pump Rod – threaded & coupled
      Ø 1-11/16” Brass Pump Cylinder
      The clamps I am looking for must be able to hold the lower sections of 1" pipe dangling inside the 6" well casing so I can add more sections and then lower into the well

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
        Just a guess. All stainless steel pipe clamps(make sure the screw is stainless too many aren't) two per adapter.

To answer the question accurately I'd need far more info.

Hand pump? Like a pitcher pump? Powered pump? What HP?
        Deep well? Depth?
        Type of drop pipe? metal? poly? pvc? Diameter?
        Pitless? well pit?

The pump rod & galvanized pipe come in 21 ft. lengths so we have 7 lengths or 147 ft.

1 only Monitor 11HD Hand Pump c/w

What I am looking for are clamps so i can hold the sections in the 6" casing so I can add more sections and then lower it down under control.

Comment

When we did my grandpa's many years ago, we just used pipe wrenches to hold the pipe as we added sections. A safer way may be to take a "6" bench vice (many have pipe jaws under the square jaws on top) and lay it on its side and clamp as you go. The overall length of the vise will keep it from going into a 6" casing.
          I hope the well has enough artesian pressure to get the water level in it up to within about 20' of ground level. Theoretically, a vacuum pump like that can lift water 33', but in practice it is less. Otherwise you will have to prime with enough water to get it up to the 20' mark and hope the diaphragm does not let it leak back down. If it leaks, you prime every time, so you may want to put a good foot valve on it.

JMTCW
          Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Maybe 1" iron pipe riser clamps would work.

Comment

there are a number of ways, one is with a pipe holder,
              http://www.aermotorwindmills.com/pipe-tools.htm

another way is to take 2 (two) plate of 1/2 steel and cut a "U" shape that just clears the pipe, and not the coupling, and set them at 90 degrees to each other, I welded on a handle on the end to easily move them, but the problem is the coupling is on the head of the well , I use them in conjunction with pipe elevators, similar to the ones in the middle of the page of the url,
              (I made my own).

using the pipe vice like suggested is a good Idea,

you will need some kind of tower or A frame and some kind of winch or pulley system to lower the pipe (I suggest at lest 5' taller than the pipe min.), and some kind of elevators or pipe dog, I think Monitor or Baker, makes a slick one that is more of a hook, it catches the coupling of the pipe, if your setting the pipe all the way down using a short length of pipe and an extra coupler makes hooking on to the pipe easy, I guess one could just use a short length of pipe with a loop welded on to it to thread in to the pipe section so one can lower or raise the pipe out of the well.

I find it is good to use a swivel in the cable to allow the pipe to turn easily when joining or unjoining the pipe when either lowering or removing the pipe for changing the leathers,

(he is using a hand pump with with a bottom cylinder, the pump is the cylinder and will sit in the water.)

1-11/16” Brass Pump Cylinder will take a lot of strokes to pump much water, It looks like you could get by with a 2" on the 7 1/2 stroke, at 140'. and the only other reason I can think of you using a 1 11/16 cylinder is your have a 2" "pipe for a casing",
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              http://www.deanbennett.com/handpumps.htm
              TABLE OF HAND PUMP DATA

Cylinder 5" Stroke 7-1/2" Stroke 10" Stroke
              1-7/8" ......... 221....... 154 ..........119
              2" ................201....... 140 ..........108
              2-1/4" ..........167....... 117 ...........90
              2-1/2".......... 141 ........ 99 ...........76
              3" ................104 .........72 ...........56

Depth to water that can be pumped by an average person and showing the 3 depths possible with 5", 7-1/2", and 10" pin positions on the pump handle. Above calculations are based on 50 lbs applied perpendicular to the pump handle and includes the hydraulic lift with 10% added for the leather friction and weight of the rod at the minimum mechanical advantage which occurs at mid-stroke.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have two wells that have windmills on them that I have pulled many times, over the years, there 285' deep and have 2 inch pipe in them,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you live in an area where it freezes, you will want to drill a small 1/16" hole in the pipe just below frost level so the pump will drain back to below freezing ground, and drain the pipe above, usually about 3 foot from the top of the well casing, other wise your hand pump may be in pieces some winter morning.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

found the picture of the baker pipe elevator,
                  http://www.bakermfg.com/index.php3
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Warrent1 View Post

1 only Monitor 11HD Hand Pump, Like a pitcher pump c/w
                    The clamps I am looking for must be able to hold the lower sections of 1" pipe dangling inside the 6" well casing so I can add more sections and then lower into the well
                    Ok multiple things here.

Why are you using steel pipe for this? That's an awful lot more work then what is needed. Use 200# poly pipe. It will last longer hold pressure better and you won't need any elevators to lower it in. I only use galvanized pipe for wells in excess of 600 feet or for powered pumps larger then 1.5HP.

How do you plan on holding the pipe up while you thread it in? And how are you thinking you'll lower it in? It gets heavy really quick. I tend do bring in a crane these days whenever I am pulling or lowering galvanized pipe.

If you go ahead with the steel pipe you can use elevators that are sold for this purpose or you could improvise as others have suggested with a pipe vise or similar. A pipe wrench could work but I do not recommend it unless you feel very confident in your ability(I use wrenches on occasion and I do this for a living). Using a wrench to hold it while your tightening lengths on would be quite dangerous.

You should not be connecting the brass directly to the galvanized pipe. They do not play nicely together and should be separated by 6 inch black steel nipple.

Comment

you always use rigid pipe in a sucker rod pump set up, as it used in a windmill or a pump jack or a hand pump.

yes one can use the poly pipe on an electric submersible pump, but that is not the pump here, it is a hand pump, the sucker rod would wear through the pipe in a short time.

below are pictures, first two pipe holding items, the next three are elevators, and if you look at the third picture, one will see a wire as well, it is a windmill that has an electric submersible pump under the cylinder, so it will pump with wind or by electricity,
                      Attached Files
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

there is a way of using one pipe on both a electric submersable and a sucker rod pump,

the first is a picture of the electric pump and the valve and the cyclinder. on the pipe ready to go down the well,

the second picture is a drawing of the in line valve, there is another way of doing the valve with a tee, and a foot valve, (last picture), but the casing on most wells is not large enough,

the in line valve has an elbow or a tee in it with a check valve on the ell or tee, (you will have to make your own in line valve, unit),

the next picture is just a general picture of pulling the well,

the forth is of the pipe and pipe holder, and the swivel that is on the end of my cable,

the last is of the Tee method, and foot valve,

in this set up one will need to put a "stuffing box" (stuffing box, allows the sucker/pump rod to come through the top of the well and not the water) on the well to direct the water in to the plumbing system, the a tee and a valve so one can hand pump, when necessary, to be able to have access to the water with having to pump up pressure tanks and such,
                        Attached Files
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          you always use rigid pipe in a sucker rod pump set up, as it used in a windmill or a pump jack or a hand pump.

yes one can use the poly pipe on an electric submersible pump, but that is not the pump here, it is a hand pump, the sucker rod would wear through the pipe in a short time.
                          I guess I'm confused here. I have a couple pitcher style pumps I use for non powered temp set ups. On these the piston is contained within the pump and I can thread an adapter into them to connect them to the poly. How far would a sucker rod extend into the drop pipe?

Comment

the sucker rod goes to the bottom of the well,

basicly all the "Monitor 11HD Hand Pump" is a hollow cast Iron tube with a spout on it, that has some ears for ataching a handle,

one could make one fairly easly out of some pipe and some flat iron, http://www.lifewater.ca/Section_13.htm

the first picture is a cross section of a deep well hand pump, and the cyclinder from, http://peacecorp.gov/wws/educators/e.../S1250EEA.html

anamation of how one pumps, (subiture windmill for handpump)
                            http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Link...tion/Index.asp
                            enlarged animation of how it pumps,
                            http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Link...mill_movie.asp
                            how the cyclinder works, very good animation of it,
                            http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Link...Education2.asp

the second picture is of a shallow well or a pitcher pump, there a suction pump, and only good for about 20 feet max, many were used to pull water out of cistern, http://peacecorp.gov/wws/educators/e.../S1250EE9.html
                            Attached Files
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

some more info on home made hand pumps,

http://www.rwsn.ch/documentation/ska...771077921/file

the attached picture is of a baker hand pump similar to what is wanted to be installed,
                              Attached Files
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X