X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless water heater

Have any of you guys ever installed an electric point-of-use tankless water heater?
    I'm looking at this particular model...

http://globaltowne.com/product_info.php/products_id/131

I would like to know if this is sufficient to run a dishwasher?

Re: Tankless water heater

newman, the problem with that heater on that application is many.

#1 it only produces 1.5 gallons with a 40 degree rise.
    #2 it draws 40 amps at 240 volts 9,600 watts

most newer dishwashers and laundry / washing machines, will heat their own water. you could put in cold and it will be heated to 140+.

now i have seen whole house tankless hot heaters.

the unit i saw for a 1 bathroom house was fed by a series of 3 double pole 40 amp breakers. that's a total of 28,800 watts.

no benefit for your application

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I believe these devices are meant to provide steaming hot water from a tap, for making hot drinks and perhaps sterilizing stuff. They replace the kettle, not the water heater.

They're not meant for higher volume applications such as a dish washer.

Comment

It depends on your application.If your don't have room for a small electric water heater.or you dont want to keep water hot for a fixture that is rarely used(basement or garage sink).

In the past I have heard of 110v devices such as this but unfortunately the volume of water put out was from what I could figure, unacceptable.

If you want to pursue,check out the chronomite manufacture as well.

Comment

I read the specs and all it says is that it provides enough hot water for a sink application.
          It's 240V 40A

RICK,

I think most dishwashers require hot water - I thought that they only boost the temp.

Comment

A residential dishwasher needs pretty hot water and 140 - 160 F works well for them. Most will use 1-1/2 to 2 gallons per fill. What I would recommend is to install a 5 gallon tank model set to about 150 F and feed it from your main hot water heater. The output should only feed the dishwasher. It will need it's own circuit too. Before using the dishwasher to insure there's hot water up to the little water heater open the hot valve at the kitchen sink first. Most newer dishwashers have built-in heaters and just be sure to install it on a 120 Volt 20 Amp. private circuit (The dishwasher that is. Also one for the little water heater if you do install one). Please remember that at a sink you don't want the hot water over 120 F or it's easy to really get burned.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Special note: If you do use the water temp booster in the dishwasher it will stop the timer until the water reaches a preset temp. This may take a loooooong time depending on the water temp feeding the dishwasher and the heater inside it. I prefer to feed the dishwasher with good hot (about 150F) water.

Note 2: Check local plumbing codes. Normally you'll need a backflow prevention valve and you may need a pressure regulator. Be sure the little water heater has a good T & P relief valve and that the discharge won't blast anyone near the sink.
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-06-2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              I read the specs and all it says is that it provides enough hot water for a sink application.
              It's 240V 40A

RICK,

I think most dishwashers require hot water - I thought that they only boost the temp.

i also read the specs. it will produce 1.5 gallons per minute at a 40 degree rise. so if the hot coming in is at 100, it will raise it to 140 at 1.5 gallons per minute. very costly at 40 amps to operate and install.

a small heater under the sink is a better choice, except it will take up room and will need to pipe a temp and press, relief valve. alos this will run up your power bill 24-7 unless you put it on a timer.

still i feel to let the dishwasher heat the water to the proper temperature. you can always flush the cold out of the line prior to washing the dishes.
              that's what mrs. seat down does

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

So you are saying I can get away with running the dishwasher off the cold supply line, and it should heat up the water itself - it just takes longer than normal?

Comment

on the higher end machines, the dishwasher heats up the water to the proper temp. the colder the water , the longer it takes to heat.

check with the maker of your machine first.

mine does. it's a general electric profiles, approx. $600. machine.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks I'll check. I think it's a whirlpool ultra quiet series.

Comment

Be sure the dishwasher is fed hot water, and do as Mrs. Seat Down does. Run hot water in the sink before starting dishwasher.

Comment

I'm with Rick here. The above type heater (and I have never installed that particular brand) is used in commercial construction for sinks that are hundreds of feet from a water heater location. Although I have installed many small "instant water heaters" I'm not a fan in general. Unless absolutly necessary I would avoid them, based on my experience of fixing malfunctions, and replacing them. Again, I have never dealt with that brand, but I have installed the most enginnering specified commercial brands and found that about 25% malfunction within 6 months.

In response to Wildweasle, the above heater would not perform boiling water unless it was pre-heated. They do make instant boiling heaters, this would not be one with only a 40 degree rise.
                        the dog

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The local plumbing outfit carries the Chronomite line of tank-less heaters - are these any good?

I noticed that the Bradford White tank-less units look identical to the Eemax line...

Comment

Just looked at a set of plans that specified the chronomite 208v 15 amp. 0.5 gal. for some lavatories.

Been installing this brand since 1980's,don't know anything about others.
                            Last edited by drtyhands; 03-08-2007, 10:30 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                              Have any of you guys ever installed an electric point-of-use tankless water heater?
                              I'm looking at this particular model...

http://globaltowne.com/product_info.php/products_id/131

I would like to know if this is sufficient to run a dishwasher?
                              dirtyhands, the heater you mentioned will barely get your hands wet. these require a special aereator to limit the flow to a few little streams. newman asked about a "booster heater" for a dishwasher.

these chromonite type heaters are a money and space saver for the builder. please tell me that you don't install these inside of a home

as i mentioned earlier, the only tankless whole house unit that i have any first hand experience with, draws 120 amps at 240 volts. this is for a 1 bathroom condo.

i installed 3- 4 gallon point of use electric water heaters in a warehouse last month. these are 120 volt 1500 watt. they fit inside of the cabinet. 1 @ mens, womens, and kitchen break room. i also installed electronic 7 day timers to shut off on weekends and turn on 1 hour prior to work and off at the end of day. so far no complaints still waiting for the power bill to come in. the old 40 gallon gas heater was up to 80' away with no recirc. system. by the time the water got hot, their coffee break was over

mrs. seat down approves of the dishwasher heating the water to the final temperature

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X