X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humming water pipe?

Hello, I was wonderning how to stop the humming? I noticed it starts when you shut the water off quickly. You can feel the vibration on the waterline coming into the house. Any recommend solutions or possiblities to stop this humming would be greatly appreciated.

Re: humming water pipe?

It sounds like the vibration is originating before it enters your house?

could it be your regulator is on its way out.Maybe you could be lucky enough to adjust it up or down,more than likely down,and see if you notice a difference.

It doesn't sound like you think it is coming from loose plumbing in the house.

Comment

Water unlike air cannot be compressed so a noise in one section of the water system can be broadcasted all the way through the water system. The first thing you should do is check your water pressure to assure your system is within the proper pressures (under 85psig but I prefer 65psig)

As noted above the problem could be from the regulator or it could be from almost any fixture which uses washers or o-rings. A trained ear could tell you whether you have a valve chatter, diaphragm chatter or something else. My suggestion would be for you to have someone else turn the water on and of while you check around the house seeing if you can find anything vibration or humming.

Sometimes installing a water hammer arrestor or an accumulator tank will help but that is not a repair.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

we all agree it can be the regulator

but it can also be a ballcock in a toilet

check all your toilets for the noise or running. you can also shut off the angle stop to the toilet to test.

your turn dog

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

it was the ballcock , thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Tnblues30 View Post
            it was the ballcock , thanks again

i win. i win.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Re: ballcock question?

Hey, I have installed a new ballcock and float. The problem I'm having is that the water still runs and will not completly shut off. The ballcock I purchased has 2 adjustment screws:
              1) For water shut off
              2) for rod adjustment

When I adjust screw number #1 it will stop all running water, however when i flush again it starts running again and i have to further adj to stop the running water sound. This never ending cycle keeps going. Is thier something im not thinking about, or could it be a small leak?

I appreciate any thing that might help or i could try.

Thanks in advance,

Comment

flush out the ballcock. it could have dirt.

what is the water pressure?

make sure the flapper is closing and not leaking. try putting dye into the tank after the flush cycle. it should not bleed into the bowl if the flapper is good.

last suggestion. throw out that ballcock and install a fludmaster 400a.

don't let me down

i rode the others on a ballcock problem

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

make sure the flapper is closing and not leaking. try putting dye into the tank after the flush cycle. it should not bleed into the bowl if the flapper is good.

don't let me down

rick.
                  With the humming problem you had and now the new ballcock issue sounds like high water pressure to me. Pressure over 80lbs. will will create havoc on the plumbing system

How come no one asked what tune the pipe was humming???

Comment

OK ill try the dye test.

I dont think it is dirt in the ballcock because this is the second one I have installed. I thought the first one I installed would work good becasue it did not have adjustment screws. So i put another one in with the adjustment screws and had same problems.

My flapper is not the stardard kind but the "tube type". Well im not sure of the proper name but in any case.

Water pressure I have not checked yet, but I have 3 bathrooms and Ihave only had trouble with this one and it happenms to be the one my wife uses all the time. (yep she's always after me to get it fixed) Thanks to Rick I got the Humming problem solved so that earned me some brownie points.

How do you check the pressure anyway?

We moved in about 1.5 years ago and I have noticed in our nieghborhood thier has already been 2 pipe breaks. I haven't rule out water pressure just yet.

Hey Rick that 400a fludmaser cost 30 dollars i think at lowes or it was something similar it did have a float and it looked cool.

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by Tnblues30 View Post
                      OK ill try the dye test. food coloring will work fine. fluidmaster gives out blue dye pills. drop it in after the flapper has closed and it will turn the tank water blue. let it sit for 15 minutes. if the bowl is blue, the flapper is most likely the issue.

My flapper is not the stardard kind but the "tube type". Well im not sure of the proper name but in any case. might be a mansfield style?

Water pressure I have not checked yet, but I have 3 bathrooms and Ihave only had trouble with this one and it happenms to be the one my wife uses all the time. (yep she's always after me to get it fixed) Thanks to Rick I got the Humming problem solved so that earned me some brownie points. just send me the brownies. you keep the rest

How do you check the pressure anyway?

a pressure test gauge. $10 at h.d screws onto a hose bibb. check before the regulator for the high pressure reading and after the regulator for the low pressure reading. the low should be below 80#. 60-65 is typcially good.

Hey Rick that 400a fludmaser cost 30 dollars i think at lowes or it was something similar it did have a float and it looked cool.

Thanks again,

don't know what you looked at, but a fluidmaster 400a is $6.50-7.50 everyday. usually h.d is a better price than my supply houses. let me know how many you need. i've got cases of them.

there is a new pro model with a brass shank. it's only avaliable to plumbing supply houses. i was on a marketing research group for this. even the brass shank one cost 12.50.

rick.

still think it's a flapper. not a pressure problem as the other toilets are ok.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hi, sorry it has taken so long for me to reply but I wanted to let you know once again Rick was correct.

I did have a leak around the inside tank seal
                        I used red food coloring and just like Rick said, the seal was bad. And yes is was a mansfield style. So I went to lowes and bought a complete fludmaster kit and decided to replace the whole thing.

When I ran into another problem.

When I removed the old and replaced it with the new. Leaks

It seems it may be coming from the larger gasket that seals the connection between the bowl and the tank. I did notice that this seal appears to be larger than i would expect it to be, because when i placed it on the tank on top of the toliet it was riding a little higher than it use too. After tighting is came down some and i thought everything looked good until i turned on the water. (it is leaking from under the tank somewhere)

I only hand tightened the seal under the flapper connection. and slightly tighten the three brass screw snug . Then I attached the tank to the toliet and started tightening the swivel screws by hand as tight as i could get them.

Is thier anything that im not doing right or do i need a smaller seal. or just try again tightening every more, im afraid of something cracking

Comment

Well never mind I fixed the problem, I had the hex bolt mis align causing uneven pressure. Everything works great.

Comment

glad you fixed it

i was in panama for the long weekend. your avatar looks like the water fall i rapelled

still waiting for my brownies

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

don't let me down

rick.
                              You won. What do you want? Total submission?

Just kidding.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X