Choosing a manual threader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a manual threader

Hi all: I'm looking for advice on a manual threader. I'm going to be doing a bunch of 1/2, 3/4, and 1" piping on my monoflo hot water system as well as some 1/2 & 3/4" black gas lines. Since I don't anticipate needing anything over 1" would a Ridgid 00-R with just the three die heads I need be appropriate? Are there practical implications which should lead me to consider an exposed over an enclosed head? Thanks in advance to you all,squirrelboy.

Re: Choosing a manual threader

the oo-r is perfect, and most common for small pipe.

an enclosed threader such as the 11-r and its dies will fit into the #600 electric threader up to 1.25'' without any adapters.

since you don't anticipate anythng over 1'' or electric, the 00-r is fine.

if you plan on upgrading to larger or electric. move up to the 11-r, up to 1.25'' or the 12-r up to 2''.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply Plumber Rick. The 00-R it is for me. Should I need larger diameter pipe I can always run a sketch over to my local supply house. This forum is a great asset and resource and it's people like you that make it so.Thanks again,squirrelboy.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        the oo-r is perfect, and most common for small pipe.

an enclosed threader such as the 11-r and its dies will fit into the #600 electric threader up to 1.25'' without any adapters.

since you don't anticipate anythng over 1'' or electric, the 00-r is fine.

if you plan on upgrading to larger or electric. move up to the 11-r, up to 1.25'' or the 12-r up to 2''.

rick.
        I would always suggest the 12-R because it is more versitile (can handle up to 2"). Just my opinion. But, here's the problem. Right now you only need up-to-1". Somewhere down the line you need, say 1-1/4". Your die head will not fit the 1-1/4" die, so now you are buying a die plus a new die-head. Think about it.
        Last edited by plumbdog10; 03-15-2007, 10:01 PM.
        the dog

Comment

Mistake on my post above, I meant 1-1/2" pipe.
          the dog

Comment

You guys are probably going to laugh at my ***, but I bought one of those Ridgid knock-off sets from HF to do half a dozen 3/4" and 1" black pipe, and it did the trick...

I'm sure they wouldn't hold up under any type of heavy use, but for a few small jobs they are OK...

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              You guys are probably going to laugh at my ***, but I bought one of those Ridgid knock-off sets from HF to do half a dozen 3/4" and 1" black pipe, and it did the trick...

I'm sure they wouldn't hold up under any type of heavy use, but for a few small jobs they are OK...
              they use the same 11r die heads. you can substitute to better ridgid dies.

their $179. power threader is a ridgid 600 knock off. the 11r die head works better than the junk it comes with.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X