Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem changing drain plug in bathtub

Hello, all.

I'm anything but Mr. Fixit, so please forgive me if this is a laughably stupid question.

I was trying to repalace the drain plug in my bathtub, and when I was trying to remove the old strainer basket the cross-hair section at the bottom broke out. Is there anything I can use to remove it now that there's nothing to grab on to?

Re: Problem changing drain plug in bathtub

been there done that

there are 2 different ways that i do this.

if all you're trying to do is replace the bottom strainer, then you will need to save the "shoe" the shoe is the bottom section of the tub drain. it is where the strainer is threaded into.

a sawzall or hacksaw blade used in a vertical position to cut into the strainer approx. 1/8'' top to bottom. this will then allow you to peel out the strainer. usually 3 vertical cuts.

if you plan on changing the shoe and the entire waste and overflow assy. then i am not as concerned with the shoe and will cut into the strainer and shoe without as much caution. a very clean and simple way is to use a "dremel" with a 1'' cut off wheel. i cut the strainer off from inside the opening just below the level of the tub. approx. 3/8'' from the top of strainer. this allows the top spud to separate from the tub and the shoe is now loose to remove from the tee.

why not just install a snap down strainer on top of the old one? this is a couple of bucks and requires no skill or tools

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Problem changing drain plug in bathtub

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      why not just install a snap down strainer on top of the old one? this is a couple of bucks and requires no skill or tools

rick.
      Cheap and easy appeals to me! The reason I was trying to change this one is that either the threads at the bottom of the basket or the threads on the post that screws into it to hold the drain plug were stripped. If I get one of these, will there be anything to attach the drain plug to?

In case I'm not explaining myself well (extremely likely), it's the what they call a "lift and turn" type drain plug here: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...pTubDrn.html#5

Comment

Working...
      X