Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PVC repair or slip couplings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PVC repair or slip couplings

    On occasion I have to repair 1 1/2" to 4" PVC piping using repair or slip couplings (couplings without a center stop). The first time I used this type of coulping on a 3" pipe I primed the coupling and pipe and used regular glue but before I could slide it all the way (there was some binding) the glue set and the coupling couldn't be moved further. I cut and removed the coupling and the next time primed only the pipe and used a heavy glue (green can, for use with up to 12" pipe) that sets slower and it went on fine and held tight. On another occasion I used the same method (primed only the pipe ends-not the coupling, used heavy glue, slid and twisted the coupling) but had a leak, my first leak in 20 years. Do you think it was because of the lack of primer or a goof on my part? Any suggestions for using repair couplings?

  • #2
    Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

    I would quit using the less-stop couplings and use the KBI Quik-Fik couplings

    http://www.kbico.com/products/quickfix.htm

    I've used them on 4" & 6" lines for years and have not had one leak yet.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I would quit using the less-stop couplings and use the KBI Quik-Fik couplings

      http://www.kbico.com/products/quickfix.htm

      I've used them on 4" & 6" lines for years and have not had one leak yet.

      Mark
      I'm going to disagree here. I'm not a big fan of those type of couplings for large pipe. I prefer a "dresser coupling" with a riser clamp attached to both sides of the repaired pipes, with 1/2" rods connecting them.
      the dog

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

        Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
        I'm going to disagree here. I'm not a big fan of those type of couplings for large pipe. I prefer a "dresser coupling" with a riser clamp attached to both sides of the repaired pipes, with 1/2" rods connecting them.
        since we are taking sides, i'll go with mark

        this is a pvc system and it should remain a pvc system. these couplings will not pull apart like the old style slip joint couplings.

        a dresser coupling will eventually rot and rust. the all thread rod and risers clamps will go too.

        sorry dog, this is the way i see it

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          since we are taking sides, i'll go with mark

          this is a pvc system and it should remain a pvc system. these couplings will not pull apart like the old style slip joint couplings.

          a dresser coupling will eventually rot and rust. the all thread rod and risers clamps will go too.

          sorry dog, this is the way i see it

          rick.
          You have your way, I have mine. But you're wrong. I forgive you for your failings (JUST KIDDING).

          You make a valid point, but I don't trust those expantion fittings on large pipe, you're dealing with alot of force.
          the dog

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

            Rick,

            There are thousands of feet, if not millions, of water piping run through ductile irion, with iron based bolts on the mechanical couplings. They function fine.

            If you don't think there is no problems with plastic pipe, I can tell you there is.

            But I think your point was valid.
            the dog

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

              Dog,

              I know where you are coming from and if I did not need to get the water back on to a High School years ago I never would have used them. My intent was to use it as a temporary repair until the weekend came and then make a permanent repair. When I was done with the repair I was so impressed with the KBI I called the repair complete. Since then I have used them on a ton of repairs to large PVC piping and have yet to have one fail. The trick is to install them per instructions and not just slap them in.

              Mark

              BTW: These are not compression couplings they are IPS Spigot x IPS Socket
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-30-2007, 09:55 PM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PVC repair or slip couplings

                Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Dog,

                I know where you are coming from and if I did not need to get the water back on to a High School years ago I never would have used them. My intent was to use it as a temporary repair until the weekend came and then make a permanent repair. When I was done with the repair I was so impressed with the KBI I called the repair complete. Since then I have used them on a ton of repairs to large PVC piping and have yet to have one fail. The trick is to install them per instructions and not just slap them in.

                Mark

                BTW: These are not compression couplings they are IPS Spigot x IPS Socket
                I'm framiliar with that type, and have used them on small pipe, but I never liked the o-ring concept for large 4"-6" pipe. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but hey, if they work they work.
                the dog

                Comment

                Working...
                X