X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under the sink water filter

I have clean municipal water but want to filter it under my kitchen sink for better tasting/safer drinking water.

Is there a system you guys recommend (that a relatively handy guy can install who is not overly confident with plumbing)?

Re: under the sink water filter

the everpure h-300 system is one that is very popular.

the big drawback is the replacement cost of the filter. approx. $119. 1 or 2 times a year. 300 gallons.

i would stay away from a reverse osmosis system.

any good carbon based filter will do a good job on taste, odor,rust, chlorine.

lead might be an issue, from older soldered joints. best bet is to let the water run for a few seconds to flush the standing, leached lead in the water.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Reverse osmosis would be a good choice for great tasting water and not to hard to install. This system needs yearly service and thats where homeowners run into trouble.It's not a matter of just filters thats one part of it.Storage tank needs to be pressurized, aso, check valve,tds ppm etc. Most folks just don't have the knowledge or tools to do it properly. Ask around friends, nieghbors find a recommended service tech. Good luck

wookie

Comment

You might take a look around this site for ideas. They are quite popular over on the East side of the USA.

(Main) http://www.aquapurefilters.com/

(Drinking water system) http://www.aquapurefilters.com/store...p-dws1000.html
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-24-2007, 01:31 AM.

Comment

I would also recommend an RO. There are cheap ones and ones of quality. There are no filtering system that can clean water as well as even the cheapest RO.

They are more expensive but produce a higher quality of water by removing far more than just taster and odor issues.

The difference in taste in beverages and recipes is noticeable. Ice cubes are clear and don't leave 'floaties' in the water. ROs produce better water than most bottled water sources and still spend mor eon bottled water than what an RO might cost you.

There are a number of simple home tests you can perform to see the difference.

Andy Christensen, CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Andy CWS View Post
            I would also recommend an RO. There are cheap ones and ones of quality. There are no filtering system that can clean water as well as even the cheapest RO.

They are more expensive but produce a higher quality of water by removing far more than just taster and odor issues.

The difference in taste in beverages and recipes is noticeable. Ice cubes are clear and don't leave 'floaties' in the water. ROs produce better water than most bottled water sources and still spend mor eon bottled water than what an RO might cost you.

There are a number of simple home tests you can perform to see the difference.

Andy Christensen, CWS
            Does it still take 7 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of filtered in an r/o system?

Comment

i use a GE smartwater filter system from HD. installation is a breeze as is filter replacement. level of water purity is a function of the filter u buy to fit the housing. i use a filter which addresses many contaminents including lead (because the municipal water supply pipe to the 85 year old home is lead). my family of four changes filters 3 times yearly. BTW, I wouldn't use a saddle valve to tap the water...take the time to use a tee and a real valve of some type.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X