X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of Triplever Linkage

I'm in the process of replacing most of the hardware on an old Delta tub/shower set-up. In attempting to install the linkage for the triplever (waste and overflow) I am unable to position the cylinder at the end of the linkage to block the drain in the tub. At least I'm assuming that is what it is supposed to do. In order to determine the proper length of the assembly rod I manually extended the rod to a position where it stopped (it could not be forced any lower into the pipe) and turned on the water. The water drained from the tub. I then moved the rod upwards a little at a time, but the water continued to drain from the tub. My assumption was that there is some blockage in the pipe that is not letting the cylinder get low enough in the pipe to block the drain in the tub. I inserted a snake into the pipe about three feet or more but felt no blockage. The only thing that I can think of is the there is some corrosion or lime deposit there that is just enough to block the cylinder at the end of the rod from desending far enough to block the drain in the tub. Assuming that I am on the right track, should I perhaps pour some Lime Away or similar product down the pipe. I also thought of trying to get some kind of wire brush down there.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Blazer

Re: Installation of Triplever Linkage

You should be able to eye-ball the length by holding the trip lever plate at the overflow and the cylinder (bucket) at the drain. I usually will use some sand cloth to clean everything up then add a little plumber's grease to the cylinder.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thank you very much Mark.

Comment

sounds like you're just replacing the trip lever and the "bucket". not the actual waste and overflow tee.

if you have the old bucket, see if it works. it could be a different o.d. and the new one doesn't fit.

as mark said, put some grease on it. this should give you a visual mark on the bucket and see how far it drops into the tee.

nothing wrong with using the old bucket with new waste overflow plate and linkage.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, thanks for the response. The old lever was frozen in a position that allowed the tub to drain. I removed the face plate and using some force managed to dislodge the bucket and extract it. I purchased a new brass linkage assembly having a bucket the same size as the old one. I will put some grease on the bucket as suggested and try to insert it again, but I have a feeling that whatever caused the old bucket to stick is still there and will not let me get the bucket low enough. If that is the case, will something like Lime Away or some tool or brush help me clear away the impediment? I really don't wish to remove the tile and wall in order to get at the offending pipes just to be able to plug the drain in the tub in order to fill it. In other words, assuming that I am right about the source of the probllem, how can I clean out the pipe?

Thanks again.

Comment

got the picture now

sounds like it could be a build up of scum, minerals, hair, soap

the tee fitting is accessable from behind the tub wall or under the tub. depending on weather they left an access panel or not. in the newer installations that we do, we don't need access panels since the slip joints are not rubber. we use brass ferrels or abs/ pvc glued joints.

a camera like the new ridgid micro view is perfect for this application. the 3' length will work perfectly to see the actual tee.

since you don't have one and it's brand new, so most plumbers don't have them yet you can try some white vinegar or lime away, or drain cleaner to possibly eat the gunk?

without seeing inside the tee, you're only guessing. a wire brush attached to a drill will also help clean the inside.

truthfully unless you have no way to change the tee, i wouldn't try too many snake oil products.

can you access the tee without cutting a hard to patch wall or ceiling below?

there are also stoppers that fit in the shoe/ drain. some you remove the strainer, other just pop in and held by an o-ring.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X