X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are vertical floats reliable?

I'm looking at buying a new sump pump over the next week or so. I have it narrowed down to the Rigid 1/2HP vertical float submersible and a Steven's 1/2HP submersible. They both seem to have similar specs, the one difference is the way they measure water flow. The Rigid has a vertical float while the Steven's some type of enclosed piece that is isolated from the water. My question is, how reliable are verticle floats? Is this something I would need to replace out after a few years? I have an older Steven's model now and I don't mind putting the money into another Steven's, but for about $135 less I could get the Rigid. The Steven's comes with a 7ry warranty and the through Home Depot, the Rigid supposidly has a lifetime replacement warranty. Either pump will get a work out as my pit (which is small to begin with 18") fills up very quick (4-5 times a minute) during heave rainstorms.

Re: Are vertical floats reliable?

not sure if the ridgid website is up to date with the photos of the pump

i looked up a 1/2 h.p submersible pump. it shows a "tether" type of cord. the one advantage of this is the water on, off levels can be adjusted. the disadvantage is the float can have a tendency to hang up on the pit or pump.

i like a true float on a metal float arm that activates a switch inside of the pump body.

is the pump you're referring to have a tether or float arm?

you can also look at the "zoller" line of pumps. these are reliable and come in every variety that you can imagine.

give some specs on the pit size, lift of water, gpm. sounds like the pit is too small in diameter or depth if it's starts and stops 4 times a minute.

a pedestal pump will give you a better range of water level if your pit is small.

rick.

out of town for the next 1.5 days. hope it doesn't rain
    phoebe it is

Comment

The model is a SP-500, it appears to have a metal arm that a float goes up and down on. I think i attached a pic of it. My pit is 18" deep, not sure of the actual diameter, the sump cover is around 20". The lift is around 9-10'. The old pump still runs, but after heavy use 4-5times a minute for a few hours following a heavy rain, it starts to hum and not kick out anything. The last few times this happenend I unplugged it for about 5-10 minutes and plugged it back in and it worked. I also heard a louder cluncking noise after the pump shuts. I'm pretty sure it's left over water coming back down and hitting the check valve. I took off the pipe yesterday just to see if the check valve was working and quite a bit of water came out. The valve was working, I was just suprised of how much water was still there.
      Attached Files

Comment

it sounds like an air lock issue.

you might need to drill a 3/16'' hole between the check valve and pump. the place to do this is in the pit, above the level of the pump.

with this type of float, the cycle of the pump is not adjustable. if the pit is not wide, the pump will cycle very fast. width is better than depth

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X