gas leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gas leak

I am not a plumber. We had a similar problem at a place I used to work at. The gas smell was coming from the outside pressure regulator. I do not know if it was leaking or venting from overpressure, but when the wind was out of the south (in our situation, as this was where the regulator was on the acft hangar), the smell was so bad inside we shut down the hangar until the fire dept and plumbers had checked it out. Final fix was replacing the regulator. This was after they found several leaks outside with the soap/water test method and had repaired them also.
    My point is that if is is an intermittent problem, it could be an outside problem that is getting blown inside due to wind direction, etc.

Just an observation
    Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

garager as much disagreement me and dog might be having i would have to say he is 100% right on this, he knows his job and knows it well so please listen to him on this.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
        garager as much disagreement me and dog might be having i would have to say he is 100% right on this, he knows his job and knows it well so please listen to him on this.
        Thanks for the compliment chevy, but if I'm ever down south, which I don't plan happening (I saw "Deliverence"), I'm taking you up on your offer.

We could kick each other's asses around for a while, then become friends over a case or two of beer. And you know what?....I really think we could be friends.
        the dog

Comment

make it root beer and i'll join you all

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            Thanks for the compliment chevy, but if I'm ever down south, which I don't plan happening (I saw "Deliverence"), I'm taking you up on your offer.

We could kick each other's asses around for a while, then become friends over a case or two of beer. And you know what?....I really think we could be friends.

aww i would rather for go the whole butt kicking thing and i know i will pass on any "deliverence" moments and i thought that was filmed in west virgina?i might be wrong on that.... ohh great now you have my mind wanting to know and now i will have to research it. grrrrrrrrrrr. oh and my name never has been nor ever will be nead batey(i know i know learn to spell i know) and only 2 cases? dang man you can stay longer than an hour cant you?lol peace.
            Last edited by oldslowchevy; 04-06-2007, 10:56 PM.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

no that is ned beaty and it was filmed on the chattooga river in georgia.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Next time you smell the gas, check the vent on your gas meter.

Comment

I had a problem like this a few weeks back on a new construction job. It turned out to be the burner tube coming out of the gas valve on the water heater and would only happen when the water heater was in use.
                  Small leak, might want to give it a look.
                  ________
                  Vaporizer Affiliate
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:42 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

This has been a discussion that I find hard to believe was ever brought up it the first place. Gas goes boom. You smell gas, you call the gas company. You don't screw around with it and ask questions online. YOU CALL THE GAS COMPANY before the whole damn house heads for the sky.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gas company will shut you off. call a plumber . what i do is if the line is leaking i change from the meter to all fixture .

Comment

Gas company will shut you off. call a plumber . what i do is if the line is leaking i change from the meter to all fixture .

NO YOU CALL THE GAS COMPANY. Its a liability issue. They will send out a service tech to fix the leak.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

NO YOU CALL THE GAS COMPANY. Its a liability issue. They will send out a service tech to fix the leak.
                          Another related but not quite the same question. Let's say your CO detector goes off. AFTER getting out of the house who do you call. The fire department or your oil company? I think on the package it says to call the FD, but what can they do?

Comment

I agree with the person that mentioned the regulator, the vent is for relieving pressure. I didn't catch if the meter and regulator were outside but the vent should be run to the outside. I can't imagine that the gas company douldn't suggest that as I work for the gas company

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              Another related but not quite the same question. Let's say your CO detector goes off. AFTER getting out of the house who do you call. The fire department or your oil company? I think on the package it says to call the FD, but what can they do?
                              out here a lot of people call 911 and get the fire department and we have all kinds of meters and then the FD will have the dispatcher call the gas co and they will respond faster for them then a home owner

the FD gets there faster and can shut off the gas and vent the house .

out here the gas co will look and fix a gas leak but they cost a lot of $ so people will call a HVAC co to do the work ,and if the gas co puts a lock on the meter the HVAC contractor has a key for the lock and can take it off then have the gas co come back to check the work . to get a key you have to go to a class from the gas co first

but i'd say if you checked and the gas co checked the lines then it must be a vent . there are times when the gas burns a red flame and not blue ,there is something with the gas and you will get a smell like gas .
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

There are so many places where gas can leak . . .

The meter vent sounds most likely to me - I smell gas all the time from the neighbors when the air is heavy. And that may be a clue to when you're smelling gas.

Another place is worn-out valves on a stove - the little ones beneath the knobs.

Ground-joint gas valves are a very common leaker - usually tightening the nut will solve it.

I like the liquid leak detector better than soap.

Comment

Working...
                                X