Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gas leak

Old thread..WOW!
    I think whether you call the gas co or a plumber may depend on your juurisdiction.
    Bottom line, I saw it mentioned that someone waited a year as they slowly tried to sniff it out...

NOT looking for an argument or debate, but here's one reason why thats a VERY bad idea.

Lets say you have a Sears sub come in and install a new stove, he pulls out the old stove without realizing it's hard piped, or the flex is too short and tweaks the 90 under the floor.
    4 months later your in the basement and you notice the smell, its only a faint odor, so after a few minutes of looking around you decide you'll get to it another time.
    Turns out that faint odor was a thick pocket of gas that has congregated inside the wall & floor from that 90 4 months back...there's an old light switch in the same wall for a storage room you seldom go into.

Along comes December, time to get the ornaments out of that storage room in the basement, you flick on the light and just like NHMaster says..."BOOM".

Comment

Which is one reason why I don't even mess with gas...too much liability for me.
      The most I'll do is an appliance changeout. But even then you have to be careful, like the stove example above.
      Last edited by Service Guy; 03-15-2008, 03:18 PM.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

You sound mad .Here in NewYork city the gas co.shuts down that is it .then the homeowner has to call someone ..now if you are a old lady yes call the gas or fire dept to shut down no gas leak <but problem is not fixed ..

Comment

I'm at a loss here. Is there a problem with the gas company shutting it down. Like before it blows up.?
          sigpic

Comment

Natural gas is one of safest and cleanest fuels available. Propane is significantly different from Natural gas. Most people don’t realize or understand the difference. Propane C3H8 has a higher specific gravity (1.5X heavier than air) Natural Gas CH4 has a lower specific gravity (0.6X lighter than air) The difference between a gas leak involving Propane and a gas leak involving Natural gas are significant. Propane has a tendency to pool or collect in pockets and low areas. Natural gas, on the other hand, dissipates quickly in an upward movement. Natural gas, when exposed to normal air flow disperses quickly and rarely reaches a combustible air/fuel ratio. Propane tends to sit, undisturbed and will remain volatile for sometime. Propane also has a lower ignition temperature, about 950F, Natural Gas about 1200F. Natural gas calorific value is 1000 btu/cuft, Propane 2500 btu/cuft. There's alot more "boom" from a cuft of Propane. So, in conclusion, a house with the roof blown off = Natural gas, a house blown off the foundation = Propane
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I had a good one a few months ago,

We installed a new gas range about 2 years ago, and about 6 months ago I could smell some propane whiff ever now after or when it was being used.

So I shut off the gas to the range as I did not have time to check it out at that moment, (wife was gone for a few days), so when I did get the sniffer out and my soap bubbles the sniffer would go nuts when I placed it under the top of the stove, but I would soap the fittings and the valves and could not locate a leak,

But in working on it, the burner was a (actually three piece unit), the orifice was under a mixing venturi and the burner unit sets on top of the venturi with slots in it, making a complete burner unit.

The burner top has a decorative piece on top of it and is held on with a hidden bolt that is attached to the under of the decorative covers,
              what had happened was the nut had come lose and dropped down into the venturi, partly plugging the air flow allowing gas to escape out under the burner, when it was used,

since it was blocking both Air flow and gas flow the burner appeared to be working properly,

Removed the nut and reattached it to the bolt and tightened it up good, (and the other burners as well most were loose as well), and guess what no more gas leak.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                . Natural gas calorific value is 1000 btu/cuft, Propane 2500 btu/cuft. There's alot more "boom" from a cuft of Propane. So, in conclusion, a house with the roof blown off = Natural gas, a house blown off the foundation = Propane

True, true, true....one thing I don't like about propane is that it comes from crude oil.
                On an important note...though true that propane will gather in dark corners alot more than NG...in an enclosed space like the scenario I posted above, NG will also gather.

Comment

for natural gas to explode, the right gas / air mixture has to be met.

I work on natural gas and depending on how much I replace, I will do either a soap test or a pressure test (10 psi for 20 mins test.)

Recently, the gas company has started locking up the meter heads when they get the leak call. fine with me, I unhook the meter and pull out the compressor, more costly for the homeowner.

we used to just pull the plug and turn the gas on and sniff it out, easier, but atleast now, the homeowner will not be turning on a leaking line after they get the estimate to repair and we leave.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

a tip to find gas leaks that I learned with AC. Cover the appliance you suspect is leaking with a large garbage bag. wait a while and stick a gas detector under the bag. Then use soap to isolate the leak to a particular spot.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      a tip to find gas leaks that I learned with AC. Cover the appliance you suspect is leaking with a large garbage bag. wait a while and stick a gas detector under the bag. Then use soap to isolate the leak to a particular spot.
                      Particularly helpfull on windy days
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X