Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing water pipe from meter to house

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    OK guys here's a little hint for you: Think of a huge white house that's in the Mid Atlantic area. Now head north about 10 miles and and you may go east or west 5 miles. Now you won't be too far from Insanityville. Please remember that you've seen this huge white house shown on TV during the news, and I bet some of you have seen it in person.

So I was right then, Insanityville IS in the state of confusion (greater DC area).
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      So I was right then, Insanityville IS in the state of confusion (greater DC area).
      I think "insanityville" is the 290,000,000 people who managed to vote in this insanity. Keep in mind this is a democracy.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
        I am not a plumber and do not usually post on this forum. However, I do not see anyone addressing the concerns of the depth of the pipe for a DIY fix. I grew up in southern Illinois whic isn't that much different than KC. Probably yellow clay soil and the pipe comes into the basement about 6' below ground level. If so, exposing the pipe is a major concern. If the trench you dig is over four feet deep, it needs to be shored up to prevent cave-ins. Best left to those experienced in this kind of work. They have the tools and knowledge to get it done safely. If it is less than 18"deep, you can dig it with a tile spade.If is is 3', it will have to be wide enough for your shoulders to get into the trench to work with the pipe joints. After about 10' of that yellow clay, you will still probably call a professional. It may cost, but it is better than you dead in the bottom of the trench when it caved in while you were trying to glue the pipe together.

JMTCW
        Go
        Gofor is right about the risks involved with trenching. Unfortunately too many pros and DIY types are dead because they thought it could not happen to them;

"I'll only be down here for a minute"
        "I can dig my way out if the sides cave in on me"
        "I'll be safe enough working by myself in this ditch"

These epitaphs should be carved on their gravestones lest we forget.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Before I suggested he dig it himself I looked at the frost line for Kansas City. At 30" I would not be too concerned. It's not that stuff does not happen at 30" but it sounds like he has already install the conduit for his electrical service so he is likely familiar with his soil.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Agreed Mark. I di dnot mean that he shouldn't do his own excavation, just reinforcing the need to exercise safety.

And don't forget to the locating service.

Comment

Working...
            X