X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towels Stink!

We are on a well and have tested for dissolved iron (can't remember exactly how hard - does 10g/gal mean anything?) but the recommendation was for a 32,000 grain softener. Funds are tight to spring for a good softener (read just put braces on the kid) so I am wondering if there is a solution for the cloths washer. I figure the stink is because the laundry soap is not fully rinsing out. We have a front load washer, try to use only enough soap to clean the cloths and double rinse.
    Any ideas?

Re: Towels Stink!

If they stunk because the soap isn't washing out they'd smell like soap.

Are we talking a sulfur smell like rotten eggs or such?

Comment

Nope not sulfur. If you leave a dish rag out too long it smells like that after the first shower

Comment

That's not lack of clear water rinse. That smell that comes with dirty dishrag odor is bacteria that is growing in the fibers of the cloth. Either the water isn't getting hot enough to kill the bacteria during the wash cycle, or you haven't used enough soap. Are you using the correct soap? The newer front load washing machines use a low sudsing soap that is different than the typical laundry soap used in top load machines. Why don't you check the water temp after the machine has filled and report back. Also, you might want to run a load through with a half cup of bleach. Add the towels after the bleach has been thoroughly blended into the wash water. Don't just splash the bleach in on top of a load of towels or you'll ruin them.
        Just a couple of suggestions.
        Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
          Nope not sulfur. If you leave a dish rag out too long it smells like that after the first shower
          I use a new wash rag and towel after each shower. Maybe you should buy more towels and not multiple use them.
          the dog

Comment

I have found that if I accidentally leave towels or any other clothes in the washer without drying them for more than a day they start to stink. This is especially true when it gets to be warmer weather.

Josh

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
            We are on a well and have tested for dissolved iron (can't remember exactly how hard - does 10g/gal mean anything?) but the recommendation was for a 32,000 grain softener. Funds are tight to spring for a good softener (read just put braces on the kid) so I am wondering if there is a solution for the cloths washer. I figure the stink is because the laundry soap is not fully rinsing out. We have a front load washer, try to use only enough soap to clean the cloths and double rinse.
            Any ideas?

Comment

Do your towels stink like an old mop head? If yes, that is bacteria and you need the powers of a good high efficency detergent, good HOT wash water, and to get them into the dryer shortly after washing them. The link below is for Tide HE detergents. If you can find it, the one with oxygen bleach (TIDE with Bleach) works great and not just in the newer front loaders but in all automatic clothes washers. The idea of a low suds detergent has been around for many years since way back when Westinghouse made their famous "Slant Tub" front loaders for home use. Today the new HE detergents are super concenrated. A tiny bit goes a long way and they are reduced suds too.

If your towels are white, you can add regular bleach like Clorox, but not too much. Read the labels, please. Clorox kills bacteria, but be sure you really rinse it out well or your skin will burn-itch. With colored (lgiht and not dark) you can use hot wash water. Go for it and as long as your towels are the normal cotton kind a hot dryer is recommended.

http://www.tide.com/en_US/he/index.jsp
              Last edited by Woussko; 04-07-2007, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                I have found that if I accidentally leave towels or any other clothes in the washer without drying them for more than a day they start to stink. This is especially true when it gets to be warmer weather.

Josh
                when is that august

rick.

played 9 hole yesterday to get ready for june. you're in right
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Do your towels stink like an old mop head? A sort of musty-urine smell? If yes, that is bacteria and you need the powers of a good high efficency detergent, good HOT wash water, and to get them into the dryer shortly after washing them. The link below is for Tide HE detergents. If you can find it, the one with oxygen bleach (TIDE with Bleach) works great and not just in the newer front loaders but in all automatic clothes washers. The idea of a low suds detergent has been around for many years since way back when Westinghouse made their famous "Slant Tub" front loaders for home use. Today the new HE detergents are super concenrated. A tiny bit goes a long way and they are reduced suds too.

If your towels are white, you can add regular bleach like Clorox, but not too much. Read the labels, please. Clorox kills bacteria, but be sure you really rinse it out well or your skin will burn-itch. With colored (lgiht and not dark) you can use hot wash water. Go for it and as long as your towels are the normal cotton kind a hot dryer is recommended.

http://www.tide.com/en_US/he/index.jsp
                  What are you're recommendations for softeners? Can you give us the correct proceedures for washing delicates?

Sorry I've got to go, "The View" is coming on.

ps. Thanks for the tip on tide.com, I've added to my favorites. It fits somewhere between gunsandammo.com and penthouse.com
                  the dog

Comment

Fabric Softeners

My recommendation is to stay as far away from them as you can. Dogs don't need fluffy towels. We nice need clean ones. LMAO
                    Last edited by Woussko; 04-07-2007, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Too funny!
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Woussko as usual, is right! There is actually a Danish standard for this sort of laundry. Low suds detergent, and at least 60C, preferably 90C, for whites towels etc. As Josh said, empty the washer as soon as possible after washing, and commence drying immediately.
                        Another tip, if towels are stored before washing, then at least, dry them thoroughly before "forgetting" them in the laundry basket.

Comment

The posts speek for themselves.

Only comment: HaHaHaHaHa.

I'm with Utah, "This is too funny."
                          the dog

Comment

a part of your problem is your washer, if you have a front load washer the soap is sitting on your gasket and not washing clean. this happens allot with lg frontloader, i know this because i have one and have had the same propblem. im on city water so i know that iron content is very low but here are two options i have found that work. they sell high efficient soap for front load washer which is actually recomended by every manufacturer to use, or the secined is to wipe under the fold of the door gasket with a towl once a week and leave your door open a little if you can. all these tips were given by lg on there 1800 #
                            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Memo to Josh:

Change the name of this forum to : "householdholdhints.com"
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X