Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thread 3" pipe in field

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
    What I was refering to is that there may be an alternative to threading, depending on his situation.

If it absolutly needs to be threaded, and it's in a ceiling, underground, or sticking out of the floor, then your only option would be Utah (and other's) method of using a geared threader. As mentioned by Utah, you can use a Ridgid power head to turn it, or if you have alot of spare time you can hand crank it.

But,

1) Can you back the piece out, and thread it?

2) Is this just one joint? If it is alot of joints, I'm going with Hawk and Bob, with welding.

3) What is this pipe used for? If it's not a pressure line use the appropriate no hub band and forget it.

4) If it's water I've used a Roust-a-Bout coupling, which is made by Victolic.

Without knowing the situation it kind of hard to help.
    This is one joint in an already ALL-welded system. "In-position" refere to the fact that the pipe is fixed, can not be rolled, is horizontal, next to the ground, on existing pipe.

Comment

Let's talk about in the field. Are you talking about threading overhead, or in a trench, or just onsite?
      This is on-site at an owners liquid gasoline bulk tank farm. This particular system can not be isolated with a valve, or blind flange. Their safety policies do not allow nitrogen purging, dry ice, plumbers plugs, etc. to isolate the sytem to weld on it. They have told us that if we could thread the 3" pipe then we could make the tie-in and get the job. But I don't have some of the equipment reported above.

Comment

Originally posted by opcon View Post
        This is on-site at an owners liquid gasoline bulk tank farm. This particular system can not be isolated with a valve, or blind flange. Their safety policies do not allow nitrogen purging, dry ice, plumbers plugs, etc. to isolate the sytem to weld on it. They have told us that if we could thread the 3" pipe then we could make the tie-in and get the job. But I don't have some of the equipment reported above.
        If you don't have the equipment I would walk away unless you plan to use it again. Understanding your situation I would have to say that the proceedures outlined by Utah, and others would be your only option. But, walking away from a job you're not set up for is no disgrace---it's smart. I'm sure you have alot of other jobs available that will make you money.
        the dog

Comment

look into renting one and try it out to see if you can do the job

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
            look into renting one and try it out to see if you can do the job
            Jeff,

If you are a pro, like I think opcon is (otherwise he wouldn't have asked), then you don't take on jobs you're not prepared for and see how they turn out.
            the dog

Comment

has Any one used the Geared Threader 141 or 161 by hand . it may take a long time and a long handle on the tool you use to the part that you put the drive shaft on but it might work ??
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                has Any one used the Geared Threader 141 or 161 by hand . it may take a long time and a long handle on the tool you use to the part that you put the drive shaft on but it might work ??
                I've used a hand ratchet with my 141 but it has been a long time. It was not physically hard to do but it took forever.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've used one, and Utah's right---it takes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooog time.
                  the dog

Comment

i don't own a 141 , but i do own the adapter for the 700 to drive the square drive.

i guess you need to start somewhere also own a set of new 141 dies. but no 141. i guess i'm putting the cart before the horse

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i don't own a 141 , but i do own the adapter for the 700 to drive the square drive.

i guess you need to start somewhere also own a set of new 141 dies. but no 141. i guess i'm putting the cart before the horse

rick.
                      Rick,

When you are ready to buy a 141 I have a freshly rebuilt one which was only used on a dozen or so threaded ends.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

last time i checked, i havn't needed to thread 2.5''- 4'' yet. when i do, i'll give you a call. you can also show me how to use it, and help me lift the beast

i would rather have your k-60

thanks,

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

so there you go opcon you can thread it in place
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

so there you go opcon you can thread it in place
                            Hawk,

Try to stay up with the program. It was established by myself, Utah, and others that it can be done without power. But the question is wether it's worth it.
                            the dog

Comment

Hawk,

Try to stay up with the program. It was established by myself, Utah, and others that it can be done without power. But the question is wether it's worth it.
                              Dog,
                              I think Hawk is up with the program,he may have been summarizing to see if the inquiring poster was still following.

Comment

had you use cresent wrench once it took a long time and was i bad at are warehouse man when i was done. Dog i meant for him to rent and use it in his shop before taking the job jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X