X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread 3" pipe in field

Is it possible to thread 3" pipe in the field in position with either a hand held electric or portable manual pipe threader? I haven't been able to find one.

Re: Thread 3" pipe in field

Yes you can, but its expensive, big time!

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Geared-R...ders/index.htm

I believe the model our guys use is the 141 or something like that. I believe you can use it with a ratchet handle or with a power threader like the 700 series.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I thing the geared head alone is around $2000.00 give or take a little.

Regards,

Comment

yes the 141 will do it and there is a ratchet handle, or an adaptor for the power threader, like the Ridgid's 700, or Rothenbergers Mini-Collins.
      there is also a draw bar that can be used to power it off of some of RIdgid's threading machines.

There heavy, in the 100 pound range.

The older JP threader, is similar, but you would need a set of dies for ever pipe size, and the 141, uses one set of dies that adjust to the pipe size, also there is a clutch device in the 141, that will help keep it from jamming if you don't stop threading when one should.

basically the rear of the unit clamps on to the end of the pipe, and then the front section is driven by gear reduction and screws on and threads the end of the pipe,

on page 13 of the 535 threading machine gives some information on the 141. and on 11 of the 300 threading machine. (the manuals page number not the pdf page number)
      http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/C8434FA..._Drive_Man.pdf
      http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8154949...achine_Man.pdf

If you want used, you can check EBay they show up there regularly, between $500 and $1000 is the usually EBay price on them. the ratchet handles from $25 to $100. Need to watch the shipping costs.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

get a welder to weld a 3" nipple on it
        faster and cheaper
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have drive lines with universal joints which I can drive my 141 with. One end goes on the 141 and the other end goes into one of my 300s. It is an expensive way to go if you are only going to cut a few threads. It also can be real dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. You may want to consider welding a companion flange on.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by opcon View Post
            Is it possible to thread 3" pipe in the field in position with either a hand held electric or portable manual pipe threader? I haven't been able to find one.
            Let's talk about in the field. Are you talking about threading overhead, or in a trench, or just onsite?
            the dog

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              faster and cheaper
              I'm starting to see more and more smaller shops going to the welded gas system for pipe larger than 2" here in Calif.

Comment

we would prefab 2.5'' - 4'' in our shop. never in the field.

anything larger than 4'' was either converted to med. pressure to downsize the pipe or welded. 4'' was a pita to work with threads. we even lubed the hangers to cut friction for wrenching.

ps. i don't own a 141, or a 161. and i own everything at least i thought i owned everything

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

ps. i don't own a 141, or a 161. and i own everything at least i thought i owned everything

rick.
                  Do you want to buy some?

Comment

I'd like to hear more about the problem. Most of the posts are accurate, but if you re-post with:

What type of pipe are you using?
                    What is the pipe used for?
                    Where is the pipe, in the air, underground, etc. I might be able to give an alternative that is easier. Maybe not. But you might as well try.
                    the dog

Comment

Dog, he says "in position" which makes me think its a stub up through the floor or its in the overhead, but that is just a guess based on the wording he used.

I would like to know what the process is along with the answers to Dogs questions. Haven't done much threading over 2" in a long time. It's mostly welded with an occasional TOE nipple welded on to adapt to a threaded connection or use flanges
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                        I'd like to hear more about the problem. Most of the posts are accurate, but if you re-post with:

What type of pipe are you using?
                        What is the pipe used for?
                        Where is the pipe, in the air, underground, etc. I might be able to give an alternative that is easier. Maybe not. But you might as well try.
                        Point well taken.

Comment

What I was refering to is that there may be an alternative to threading, depending on his situation.

If it absolutly needs to be threaded, and it's in a ceiling, underground, or sticking out of the floor, then your only option would be Utah (and other's) method of using a geared threader. As mentioned by Utah, you can use a Ridgid power head to turn it, or if you have alot of spare time you can hand crank it.

But,

1) Can you back the piece out, and thread it?

2) Is this just one joint? If it is alot of joints, I'm going with Hawk and Bob, with welding.

3) What is this pipe used for? If it's not a pressure line use the appropriate no hub band and forget it.

4) If it's water I've used a Roust-a-Bout coupling, which is made by Victolic.

Without knowing the situation it kind of hard to help.
                          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            I'm starting to see more and more smaller shops going to the welded gas system for pipe larger than 2" here in Calif.
                            we weld all gas lines that are over 2" and gas line in side a building with pressure over 1 pound .
                            if it is over 1 pound and it is on a roof we will thread it .
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              faster and cheaper
                              No can do. This is in a gas plant and the owners won't let us weld--no hot work. That's why they want us to thread.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X