Plumbing Vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Vehicle

Hi there, I'm just getting into the plumbing trade, currently taking the Pre-Employment Apprenticeship program in Alberta.

I'm thinking about getting a new vehicle, and am wondering on what would be best suited to my needs.

Pretty much I'm wondering what everybody else here uses, whether it be a van or a truck, and which company/model they prefer.

Thanks,

Derek.

Re: Plumbing Vehicle

if you are just "getting into plumbing" do your self a big favor. do not by a van or a truck since you will being an "apprentice" for the next few years. you will need good reliable traspotation that will be good on gas and inexpensive to insure. and once the company feels you are ready you should be provided with a "company truck". please DO NOT use your OWN truck or van for the "company" sure they might put gas in it for you but please remember that god forbid you have a wreck you will be responsable for they stuff that got ruined they more than likly will not pay for your decuctable or rental and you will be the one with no wheel cause you just gave them (more or less) a free truck to use. i have seen this happen to quite a few people because they thought it would make them "look" better, and sadly it made them look reather dumb.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Good call, I never thought about the insurance aspect of it.

Comment

Here's an old thread you might want to look at:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9890

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Here's an old thread you might want to look at:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9890
          Thanks, I did a search for vehicles, but it didn't draw up anything. I guess i should have searched truck or van

Comment

dmazzocchi

Once you finish the Pre-Employment Apprenticeship program you'll need to find a job as a apprentice plumber and then complete the 4 or 5 years of apprenticeship training. Before you decide on a vehicle, decide what avenue of the plumbing trade you want to, or will be working in. Right now the majority of jobs are in residential and commercial construction. Lets say you start working in commercial construction, you will typically go to the same site for weeks or maybe even months and won't be required to supply much in the way of tools. In this scenario a reliable, economical vehicle like a small car would be prudent. In residential construction you will work at a few different job sites in a week and generally will be required to carry and supply your own tools (including a ladder, shovel, etc..) In this scenario a truck with topper or a van would be best. Also, in this scenario you will be required to carry commercial insurance on your vehicle. This will allow you to claim the vehicle as a employment expense, which will get you a nice chunk of change come tax time.
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by dmazzocchi View Post
              Hi there, I'm just getting into the plumbing trade, currently taking the Pre-Employment Apprenticeship program in Alberta.

I'm thinking about getting a new vehicle, and am wondering on what would be best suited to my needs.

Pretty much I'm wondering what everybody else here uses, whether it be a van or a truck, and which company/model they prefer.

Thanks,

Derek.
              Buy an economy vehicle, with gas prices as they are. You don't know enough to to carry anything but but your tools which should fit in a bucket. When you do know something, demand a company truck.
              the dog

Comment

I know I chime in too often with the safety hat on, but it's relative in this case also.

What happens when tools you supply to do your work cause or contribute to an injury to you or someone else. Your up in the air on a stepladder, and it breaks and you fall. Your companies insurance and Workman's comp will kick in, but if the insurance company wants to play rough and inspects the ladder and finds it was not maintained properly or was used in a damaged condition this could impact your compensation.

Another scenario;

You loan your personal ladder to another worker on the job, whether this person works for your company or not does not matter in this instance, and that person gets injured while using your ladder. Do you think your employers insurance is going to cover this? I doubt it. YOU will be on the hook, especially if the ladder had anything wrong with it, even as little as a loose step or bend brace.

This is why many companies hesitate to loan employees of another company tools and equipment. If that person gets hurt and you loaned them a Hilti drill and the person had no training or experience using such a tool and gets hurt, then they might be liable.

Think twice about supplying anything more than you are required to and CYA.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  I know I chime in too often with the safety hat on, but it's relative in this case also.

What happens when tools you supply to do your work cause or contribute to an injury to you or someone else. Your up in the air on a stepladder, and it breaks and you fall. Your companies insurance and Workman's comp will kick in, but if the insurance company wants to play rough and inspects the ladder and finds it was not maintained properly or was used in a damaged condition this could impact your compensation.

Another scenario;

You loan your personal ladder to another worker on the job, whether this person works for your company or not does not matter in this instance, and that person gets injured while using your ladder. Do you think your employers insurance is going to cover this? I doubt it. YOU will be on the hook, especially if the ladder had anything wrong with it, even as little as a loose step or bend brace.

This is why many companies hesitate to loan employees of another company tools and equipment. If that person gets hurt and you loaned them a Hilti drill and the person had no training or experience using such a tool and gets hurt, then they might be liable.

Think twice about supplying anything more than you are required to and CYA.

I agree with Bob.
                  the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                    Buy an economy vehicle, with gas prices as they are. You don't know enough to to carry anything but but your tools which should fit in a bucket. When you do know something, demand a company truck.

ohh my god me and the dog agree on this wow that is like the second or thrid thing that we agree on ...... scary. but in all reality you need to spend your money on good quaity tools that will make you money vs. buying a van or a truck that will cost you money.
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                      ohh my god me and the dog agree on this wow that is like the second or thrid thing that we agree on ...... scary. but in all reality you need to spend your money on good quaity tools that will make you money vs. buying a van or a truck that will cost you money.
                      You finally got something right.
                      the dog

Comment

Working...
                      X