Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to bend hard copper pipe

Originally posted by Newman View Post
    I tried bending 1/2" type L rigid copper for a guy once. He wanted to make some outdoor sculptures. I tried heating it, filling it with sand and using a conduit bender. It would not bend, but kept splitting. I don't know how you can bend it since it's not malleable.
    you didn't get it hot enough. Heat it until it comes cherry red then let it cool.

Comment

Dog He said " HARD COPPER "
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hard copper WILL bend if you heat it red hot....just did it today.

Go Bucks

Comment

Heat up your pipe very hot and use a spring tubing bender to bend your pipe. Works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Now heat it up again and quench it to harden.
            Actually I think copper is one of the few metals that cannot be hardened in this fashion...
            If you anneal it (soften it) the only way to harden it again is to work harder it...
            Quenching it will only serve to cool it - it will remain annealed...

From a site talking about annealing copper for art projects...
            "The copper will maintain it's soft crystal structure after annealing at any realistic cooling rate (from very slow like letting fire die down to fast like throwing it in a bucket of water). Generally, I would suggest water cooling to prevent excessive oxidation of the surface. Steel (iron + carbon) on the other hand will change it's properties dramatically upon rapid cooling . However, it is possible to cool copper fast enough to make it into a brittle material. This normally involves cooling rates of greater than 10 million degrees C per second which can only be obtained by spraying a very thin film on to a very cold surface (this equipment is very expensive). "
            Last edited by markts30; 11-10-2007, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I was watching "made in america" the other day and they were making trumpets. The trumpets were held in a cryo vat that froze water in the trumpets. The ice is what kept them from collapsing when they were bent. Very interesting show, highly recommend.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
              X