X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy pipes

About six months after the kitchen fitters had been in to fix new kitchen we begin to get a whining sound whenever we switched on one of the cold taps. The only way to get rid of it is to open the tap again and close it very slowly, and then it stops.
    The noises coming from behind a boarded in area and not easy to get at. It's driving me nuts
    Any simple solutions

Regards Dave

Re: Noisy pipes

dave, welcom to the forum

not sure if your location is the usa? so i will give you advise as to what i see going on here.

it is a loose washer in that "tap", but that usually causes a chattering noise.
    if it only happens in that 1 tap, then it's typically not a pressure regulator.
    also check to make sure the shut off valve /angle stop is fully opened. a partially open angle stop will cause a chatter if the washer is loose.

also if this is a widespread faucet with flexiable connectors, make sure they are not kinked.

where are you located?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
      Thank you for your prompt reply.
      I probably didn't make myself understood yesterday. It doesn't matter which cold water tap I turn on (upstairs or downstairs) the noise always comes from the same place behind a panel in the downstairs loo, more whine than a chatter.

I live on the east coast of England. Funny enough and were travelling over to the States on Sunday to visit some friends in Chicago, and will then be moving on to Milwaukee, where I will be visiting my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by dave123 View Post
        Rick
        Thank you for your prompt reply.
        I probably didn't make myself understood yesterday. It doesn't matter which cold water tap I turn on (upstairs or downstairs) the noise always comes from the same place behind a panel in the downstairs loo, more whine than a chatter.

that would be the place to look. not sure if your toilet has a conventional ballcock or something unique to the uk? if the panel removes, look and listen. it should be some sort of valve assy. that is making the noise.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
          you are a genius an absolute genius. I found the noise it was a valve inside the toilet that was whining.

Next time you're in the UK, stop buying I'll buy you a pint, real ale of course.

Comment

thanks dave

but i prefer a root beer

never had a taste for beer

never been to the uk. but when i do, i'll p.m. you.

thanks for the kind words.

mrs. seat down is not too happy when i get praise from this forum or my customers.

rick
            phoebe it is

Comment

"mrs. seat down is not too happy when i get praise from this forum or my customers. "

Well I think it is well deserved , Have a great day my friend

Comment

Working...
              X