raising a sink drain pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising a sink drain pipe

i would like to raise the drain pipe for a new sink install (wall mount). is this possible considering the current routing?

thanks
    Attached Files

Re: raising a sink drain pipe

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
    i would like to raise the drain pipe for a new sink install (wall mount). is this possible considering the current routing?

thanks
    You left out the part of the picture which shows the sanitary fitting. Anything is possible but if you are trying to raise the trap you will have to go all the way back to the sanitary fitting. Would a longer tail piece not work?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      You left out the part of the picture which shows the sanitary fitting. Anything is possible but if you are trying to raise the trap you will have to go all the way back to the sanitary fitting. Would a longer tail piece not work?

Mark
      Mark,

i'll be installing a wall mount sink with a decorative p-trap, and was hoping not to have to install a longer tail piece, just because i was going for a sleek look (i know)

if i do decide to resolve it back at the sanitary fitting, do you just use the slope formula to figure out the lengths of everything? and what should the slope be (per foot or however you determine it)?

pete
      Last edited by CheekyMonkeyWrench; 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM.

Comment

the maximum distance the trap arm/ dirty arm can be is 3'6'' from the san tee to the weir of the trap. the proper slope for the trap arm would be 1/4'' per foot.

i would cut out the old tee above and below and reattach at the correct level with no hub bands. this looks like a 1.5'' trap arm.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Guys, just for my own knowledge, why is it not advisable to just do the following...
          Attached Files

Comment

wayne, very creative with the photo

when you raise just the trap arm, you create a siphon leg.

the sanitary tee is tapped at 1/4'' per foot. with this configuration, a trap can be 3'6'' away from the tee and still not create the siphon. with a 2'' line and trap it can be 5'. technically it's measured to the trap weir.

i've seen many attempts to do what you photo-shopped. there is even a trap made that has a very long drop to lower the trap which is much more common.

a tail piece from the drain can be a max. of 30''. it's more common to be too low, than too high.

prior to garbage disposals the waste was ruffed in approx. 18'' off the floor. with a disposal, the waste should be approx. 13'' from the floor.

hope i didn't confuse you more than i explained it

rick
            phoebe it is

Comment

Actually makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                Guys, just for my own knowledge, why is it not advisable to just do the following...
                From what knowledge?
                the dog

Comment

Dog, I think Wayne was asking why it was not proper to do as he showed in his photo-shopped image, not that it was something he had done.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

rick "technically it's measured to the trap weir." for informational purposes, what is a trap weir? i've never come across the word weir before. thanks.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                      rick "technically it's measured to the trap weir." for informational purposes, what is a trap weir? i've never come across the word weir before. thanks.
                      the trap weir is the upper level of the water line, inside of the trap.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        the trap weir is the upper level of the water line, inside of the trap.

rick.
                        To add to what Rick said think of the area at the top of the dam spillway.
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                        X