Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: Unable to reflow the old solder material.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP: Unable to reflow the old solder material.

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
    So what forum do I log on for free info from you? You forgot to post it.
    Depands on what car do you drive...., and which ERP do you use -- if you ever use one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
      Depands on what car do you drive...., and which ERP do you use -- if you ever use one.
      I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler, and I want to improve the recepction on my reciever. What forum do I log on to to find your free advice. I don't think it exists.
      the dog

Comment

I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler, and I want to improve the recepction on my reciever. What forum do I log on to to find your free advice. I don't think it exists.
        You are wasting the bandwidth of this board.

If you have nothing to share or don't want to share, then go sit on the sideline and read. Now.... "SIT".

This is my last post responding to your OT.
        Last edited by Wagon Man; 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Tks, Newman & Drtyhands. I will snap some pic later today... been swamped at work lately ... TIA.

BTW, the burner I have is a Benzomatic.

Comment

Tks, Newman & Drtyhands. I will snap some pic later today... been swamped at work lately ... TIA.

BTW, the burner I have is a Benzomatic.
            you keep asking for free help all you want and give the dog a bone and tell him to go eat it some were else
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You are wasting the bandwidth of this board.

If you have nothing to share or don't want to share, then go sit on the sideline and read. Now.... "SIT".

This is my last post responding to your OT.
              My question is what are you sharing? Or is it only plumbers who give free advice? You don't even list an occupation.
              the dog

Comment

My question is what are you sharing? Or is it only plumbers who give free advice? You don't even list an occupation.
                Dog,

plumbers are not the only ones who give free advice.floor technicians at the home depot are capable of telling us where the restroom is and they don't charge us anything

Comment

Maybe the guy actually braised it w/ silver alloy and it is not solder

Comment

well dog if your looking for free advice then here is one

stop bit***ng about giving free advice and do not answer some one that is asking and you will not get upset
                    Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Drtyhand and all,

Finally get to taking the pic ... tks for your patience.

As shown in the pic, the seperation (and the remain of the soldering material) is after the shut-off valve. And since the pipe runs upward from there and it has been months since the seperation, there is absolutely no water where I wanted to re-flow the solder ball. (The "drop" at the bottom of the elbow is NOT water-drop, it is actually the solder-ball I wanted to reflow and get rid of.)

All I want is to reflow / to clean up the joint area so that I can re-solder the darn thing again ... but somehow it is so stubborn that no matter I heated it up without flux or with flux (some Patroleum based Pb free plumbing flux), the damn bead shows no sign to start melting... again, the area is bone dry .....

Can someone kind enough to share me the tricks to Re-Flow? Or to point out the mistake(s) in my previous attempts?

My fall back plan is to cut off a section of the old pipe and replace them with new pipe and an elbow... but I prefer not ...

TIA.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Wagon Man,

Is the system open and drained? is there any water in the joit proximity

We need to know what type of torch you have.

Try a practice solder joint your workbench,what happens.

All fluxes are not created equal,But that comes later.

We can help,what's going on?

This is the forums dog he's sniffing you out.Just get on with the job at hand and don't look him in the eyes

Comment

i would heat up the valve until the solder is soft and use a cleaning brush and clean out the old solder . get a new coupling and 90 , new pipe and replace the bottom 12" of the pipe ..
                        make sure that the valve is clean of solder ,reflux and make sure all the new pipe and fittings are clean . do not touch the clean part at all .

then put together and open something that this pipe is supplying to relive the pressure when soldering . do not over heat the fittings .

good luck
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

OMG no wonder it blew out the street 90 was only in the fitting about 1/16" of an inch.

I would be concerned about the integrity of the other plumbing he installed.

Did you heat the fitting and wipe it with a dry cloth??

Bernzomatic torch with Propane or Mapp gas?

~Bill
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-06-2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

There's water on the other side of the valve right? That's where all the heat is going, it's being sinked into the water. You need to learn how to control and direct the heat of your torch to be able to solder in situations like these. Difficult to explain in words, get someone who knows how to solder over there to give you a hand.

I agree with P-crack, WTF was this bozo thinking when he made up this joint? I'll bet he has a personalized license plate that reads: NOCLUE
                            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Bob, all previous efforts were on the elbow, I have not (yet) started on the shut off valve side of things. So, "bone dry" still hold true.

Thanks for the valuable advice, will watch out when I start on the valve. Much appreciated!

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              There's water on the other side of the valve right? That's where all the heat is going, it's being sinked into the water. You need to learn how to control and direct the heat of your torch to be able to solder in situations like these. Difficult to explain in words, get someone who knows how to solder over there to give you a hand.

I agree with P-crack, WTF was this bozo thinking when he made up this joint? I'll bet he has a personalized license plate that reads: NOCLUE

Comment

as plumbercrack and hvac has noted. you need to just cut off the bad fitting. trying to resolder only 1 joint of a 90 is not good practice since you've already attempted to heat this up.

based on the fact that the ball is still there and that the fitting was only partially pushed in. replace the 90 and add a coupling with short section if needed. you will have to clean out the valve and wire brush it clean.

looking at your photos, you didn't get it hot enough. the solder should melt in the 700 degree range. the torch you have might not be putting out enough heat of a concentrated flame.

i don't know if you know how to solder, but it's much easier if you watch a pro and then repeat. truthfully it was not hot enough.

try this trick since the fitting is going to be cut off anyways. clean and flux the old 90. then heat and try to melt the new solder. it should melt by touching the pipe with the solder. not using the flame to melt the solder.

there is no problem soldering a valve with water live on the other side. just make sure that there is no trapped air up to the valve. as an apprentice, i once overheated a live valve and as the valve came up to temperature, it melted the solder on the live side since there was an air pocket trapped.

try a bigger or better torch, or a better technique.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X