Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Unable to reflow the old solder material.

Hi, obviously I'm a noob and your help is much appreciated. I have some soldering / brazing understanding (used to sell these stuffs, learned from product tranings, some were hands on...).

I have a MOST unreliable colleaque at work (a plumber from our maintenance dept) whom I paid him to added a new cold water line (copper) from the garage out to the side yard. It was done just last summer. The joint where the Cu pipe leaves the shut off valve was seperated during winter & he has been breaking his promises for the past 8 weeks to come out to fix his work.

so I think, WTF, I'd just DIY.... went o HD, bought some plumbing solder paste (I think they are easier to handle), a burner, a heat mat, and some flux...

The problem I have is, there is a decent size solder ball left on the pipe which I want to (must I ?) remove before I will re-solder the p[ipe back to the valve.. but no matter how long I heat it up, it refuse to flow. I added soem flux onto it and it still refuse to flow.....

I went to HD last night and bought a pipe cutter, am thinking that I might just cut off a section of the pipe, and replace it with a new pipe.. obviosuly I need to buy a few more copper "connectors" to do the job...

But heck ... it gotta be easier than that! So may I ask the experts here: why couldn;t I reflow the old solder material left on the pipe and re-solder the darn thing together again? What have I doone wrong? or what have I missed? What is the PROPER approach to handing this sitution -- and how-to?

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

Re: HELP: Unable to reflow the old solder material.

is it possible that you were next to standing water in the pipe? was there steam coming off the pipe while attempting this? not sure was this inside of the exisiting valve?

the simplest thig you can do is start fresh and instead of soldering, try out the "shark bite" fittings. my local h.d. just started to stock them a couple of months ago. these are slip together fittings. they come in 1/2''- 1''. they are also removable down the road. dripping water is not a problem since you don't solder them. make sure you use a tubing cutter and debur the inner and outer burr.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, tks for the suggestion, I don't know what SharkBite is but will pay HD a visit to take a look ... don't care much about "how" as long as it can fix the problem I have

BTW, the disconnected point is inside the garage, on the outlet of the shut-off valve, so no water, no steam, nada ... that's why I cannot understand why I could not get it to re-flow. I even have asked the "unreliable" what the heck did he used... was it Ag Brazing alloy? (of course, he denied....)

Tks again...

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        is it possible that you were next to standing water in the pipe? was there steam coming off the pipe while attempting this? not sure was this inside of the exisiting valve?

the simplest thig you can do is start fresh and instead of soldering, try out the "shark bite" fittings. my local h.d. just started to stock them a couple of months ago. these are slip together fittings. they come in 1/2''- 1''. they are also removable down the road. dripping water is not a problem since you don't solder them. make sure you use a tubing cutter and debur the inner and outer burr.

rick.

you know rick i commend you for your attitude to help some one that asks for help that has never done plumbing before and not jump all of them to call a pro to do the job .
        Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM.
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I'm with you Hawk, bravo Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by PIPES View Post
            I'm with you Hawk, bravo Rick.
            Right on!!! Rick For President!!!

Clato

Comment

thanks, but politics will get me in trouble. i'm having a hard enough time in golf

got to practice so josh will not embarrass me too bad

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Other than the SharkBite suggested by Rick (Thanks, Rick) .. can someone comment what are the possible cause(s) why I could not re-flow the old solder?

or can someone share the proper way to remove old solder material left on the pipe (exterior wall).

Tks.

Comment

My first guess is that there is water in the pipe like Rick said. But you say no steam was coming out....hmmm. The smallest amout of water will keep it from melting.
                  My second guess is you didn't have it hot enough. You bought a "burner" what exactly are we talking about here?
                  If he used silfloss or some sort of silver solder its going to take alot of heat to melt. Acetylene should do the trick. Are you able to get it hot enough to flow your new solder? That ball of solder won't just fall off of there you need to help it off. Try to wipe it with a dry rag when its heated.
                  Be sure to clean the pipe and fittings thoughly with some sandclothe before fluxing and don't touch it with your bare hands. Even the little bit of oil from your skin can keep it from flowing the solder.

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
                    Hi, obviously I'm a noob and your help is much appreciated. I have some soldering / brazing understanding (used to sell these stuffs, learned from product tranings, some were hands on...).

I have a MOST unreliable colleaque at work (a plumber from our maintenance dept) whom I paid him to added a new cold water line (copper) from the garage out to the side yard. It was done just last summer. The joint where the Cu pipe leaves the shut off valve was seperated during winter & he has been breaking his promises for the past 8 weeks to come out to fix his work.

so I think, WTF, I'd just DIY.... went o HD, bought some plumbing solder paste (I think they are easier to handle), a burner, a heat mat, and some flux...

The problem I have is, there is a decent size solder ball left on the pipe which I want to (must I ?) remove before I will re-solder the p[ipe back to the valve.. but no matter how long I heat it up, it refuse to flow. I added soem flux onto it and it still refuse to flow.....

I went to HD last night and bought a pipe cutter, am thinking that I might just cut off a section of the pipe, and replace it with a new pipe.. obviosuly I need to buy a few more copper "connectors" to do the job...

But heck ... it gotta be easier than that! So may I ask the experts here: why couldn;t I reflow the old solder material left on the pipe and re-solder the darn thing together again? What have I doone wrong? or what have I missed? What is the PROPER approach to handing this sitution -- and how-to?

Thanks in advance for your help!

John
                    Why won't the solder flow, let me count the ways:

1) Water in the pipe (previously mentioned)

2) You don't know what you're doing (don't count this out, as painful as it may be).

3) The first yah-hoo over cooked the fittings. With modern water soluable flux
                    re-soldering is pretty hard.

You hired a cut rate deal instead of a pro. You're not satisfied. Big suprise. How come none of the guys pleading for help for the homeowner (HVAC Hawk, Clato) aren't helping out?

Guys like you piss me off. You obviously didn't feel capable of doing the job, you hired someone. But you didn't hire a plumber, no there's this guy at work who will do it for half price. Now your not satisfied that he isn't honoring a warrenty. Did you think he would for that price?

Now you're doing it yourself, because you know what you're doing. But your looking for qualified plumbers to give their years of experience to you for free. What free qualified advice are you offering on the internet?
                    Last edited by plumbdog10; 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM.
                    the dog

Comment

SOTSLMAO

Sitting On The Side (you know the rest)

Sic-em Dog! I'm with you on this one.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

WTFU if you have nothing to contribute, Dog!

Comment

Wagon Man,

Is the system open and drained? is there any water in the joit proximity

We need to know what type of torch you have.

Try a practice solder joint your workbench,what happens.

All fluxes are not created equal,But that comes later.

We can help,what's going on?

This is the forums dog he's sniffing you out.Just get on with the job at hand and don't look him in the eyes

Comment

Is there a chance you can post a close-up pic?

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
                              WTFU if you have nothing to contribute, Dog!
                              So what forum do I log on for free info from you? You forgot to post it.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X