dw cordless 18v drill/hammer drill probs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dw cordless 18v drill/hammer drill probs

hello all , i have a problem w/ a dewalt18v cordless drill/hammer-drill....
    it won't engage smoothly at the setting dial behind the clutch , usually if I run it forward/ reverse a few times the setting dial will free up but it's getting worse , having problems getting into the hammer-drill mode , does this sound familiar to anyone ,

thank-you in advance

Re: dw cordless 18v drill/hammer drill probs

Bought my new Dewalt DC988 18 volt drill of Ebay had same problem since day 1. I don't use the clutch settings much just drill or hammerdrill mode for me. It gets jammed up all the time. One day I figure it'll get stuck for good and I'll just smash it with my sledge hammer. At $75 bucks it's pretty much disposable IMO.

BTW..... THIS IS A RIDGID WEBSITE, NOT DEWALT!!

Comment

thanks for your input .......... and I own at least $ 15 ,000 in ridgid tools , so don't mess with me for asking about one dewalt tool

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

BTW..... THIS IS A RIDGID WEBSITE, NOT DEWALT!!

yes buy we talk about all tool brands here not just ridgid witch is why i like it here. and dewalt IMHO stopped making good quilty tools over the past 15 or so years thaere are only a hand full of dewalt tools i would buy nowadays and none of them are cordless
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
          hello all , i have a problem w/ a dewalt18v cordless drill/hammer-drill....
          it won't engage smoothly at the setting dial behind the clutch , usually if I run it forward/ reverse a few times the setting dial will free up but it's getting worse , having problems getting into the hammer-drill mode , does this sound familiar to anyone ,

thank-you in advance
          thanks for your input on the drill.....also, i own at least $15,000 in ridgid tools so don't mess with me over my dewalt question...I,ve more than proven my ridgid loyalty

Comment

Its a fairly well known issue. With use it actually tends to get smoother but this is sort of a problem with most drills having more than 2 speeds. Its just more gears to align with. I have dewalt and Makita 3 speed drills and they tend to suffer the same problem. The trick is usually, if it doesn't shift the first time, burst the trigger all the way to full power and stop immediately and then try to shift. On my XRP's it will usually do it after the first burst. If not try again. Don't run the drill with the switch halfway as you'll just be grinding away the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              Its a fairly well known issue. With use it actually tends to get smoother but this is sort of a problem with most drills having more than 2 speeds. Its just more gears to align with. I have dewalt and Makita 3 speed drills and they tend to suffer the same problem. The trick is usually, if it doesn't shift the first time, burst the trigger all the way to full power and stop immediately and then try to shift. On my XRP's it will usually do it after the first burst. If not try again. Don't run the drill with the switch halfway as you'll just be grinding away the gears.

thank-you , thats basically what I've had to do

Comment

Working...
              X